Forums > Social Chat > "Extreme Makeover" and body image

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Sitting here watching this terrible show with my aunt.

guess where my self esteem is right now.

my body is average size. i am heavier at the moment than i am in the middle of rowing season. but i dont look bad.

i dont dress to the latest fashion. i like to be a bit different, but most of all, look good and feel comfortable regardless of whats up to date (admittantly, i will sacrifice confort for appearance, but not to fit in.)

But i am so disgusted that shows like this are allowed. i really am feeling so low right now. my hair is straight with a cow-lick, my body is, like i said, normal, my height is normal. and i wouldnt say i am unattractive...

but why am i feeling so terrible about how i look?

sorry for the rant but this show makes me want to scream.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Oh Rougie! Don't let them get those shows get you down. That's why they do it, so people get upset with themselves and want plastic surgery.

You're beautiful Rougie! I've seen photos! smile

I'm average height and weight too. And I've never been so happy with myself in my life.

Keep smiling Rouge! smile

If you're still feeling down, maybe go for a walk/jog or something, maybe it would make you feel a bit better? *shrugs*

hug

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Rouge.
Theres shows are *designed* to make you feel bad, dont listen to it, they're just out for the money.
Stupid, greedy a**holes.
You're gorgeous, i promise!

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
rouge your gorgeous hug smile

personalyl i find that show a bit twisted

talk about playing on peoples insecurities

anyway most people with the 'perfect' supermodel body look pretty awful as far as im concerend

the only thing that sepereates half of them from famine releif posters is a few thousand miles.... wink

back

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Go and look at the thread in discussion on touching-up photos. Feel bad for people who allow worries about aesthetics to completely dominate their lives and finances. Companies producing beauty magazines, products, extreme makeovers don't make money from people who are perfectly happy with the way they look, so a lot of advertising preys on the insecurities.

Taking care of yourself and having a little pride in your appearance is not a bad thing, but extremes in anything can be. You've said you're usually okay with your appearance (and from your photo gallery, so you should be! smile), so you're ahead of a lot of people out there. Nobody's ever entirely happy with the way they look, the trick is not letting it be too important to you smile

I don't care if tv thinks I'm pretty or not. I wouldn't call a single one of my friends ugly, and not because all my friends are supermodels. It's because I know they're lovely, and they automatically look better to me because of that.

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
that show makes me laugh - yeah they may look better after but its sends negative body image vibes when its broadcast. "hey you've won a free extreme make over"
In other words they've won a competition for being a right minger.
Its wrong! it's all gone wrong! - I mean their families love them for who they are - not for what they look like!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Would you not rather be and look normal than be portrayed getting liposuction and a facelift? These people will stay in the memory of who watches them with lines drawn on their face to show where the skin has to be tightened, and their noses all swollen up from making them smaller and cuter (if they stay in memory at all!). Doesn't seem desirable to me, I'd rather be my own average looks smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
yuck, and the maintainence for some of those ops is pretty gruesome...depending on how old you are, you have to have them redone and stuff. bet that doesnt get paid for by the tv company (although its probably a great follow-up: extreme makeover revisited)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I always have body image issues.

Yes. Me.

You know, one of those people who keeps getting told how beautiful he is? I sure as hell don't see it when I look in the mirror. It's not under my control and it's not something I can reason through.

Would I go for surgery? shrug I mean I'm clearly not a candidate for gastric bypass (and don't want it). Would I get liposuction? The intellectual physician in me says "SH*T NO!" while the stupid little gay boy in me says "hmm...love handles?"

It's a biotch, I tell ya. And it drives the plastic surgery industry.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I think ur all over exagurating, at the end of the show the woman who gets the make over is happy about themsevles for once in there lives. Wich is what counts makeing someone feel happy. If the show was slightly different and the woman didnt have surgery would you like it better then? If they gave them gym memberships and told them to work the weight off, that would be ok I guess.

Sure its a quick fix but really these shows dont allways have the time to get them woman fixed up the hard way. Oh and how you gonna fix there teeth without a trip to the dentist? Get rid of there rinkles without a facelift? Magic cream isnt gonna do it.

HAH! doc you think you have love handles you should see mine, and my belly and my legs, ugh its so disgusting, im lucky clothes hide it.

Rogue Dragon, you are really attractive! You have curves and shape, like real woman have, trust me whan I say this but men like abit of meat on there woman. Take a look at Debra Messing and Megan Mullany from will and grace. Anyman will tell you they prefere Karren to Grace, couse Karren has a real figure, and Grace is boney.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

I always have body image issues.

Yes. Me.

You know, one of those people who keeps getting told how beautiful he is? ...

Yeah I get that alot too ubblol
but it dont help me worrying "does my bum look big in this?..."
answer - my bum will always look big whether I'm 9stones or 19stones - bloody child bearing hips. I'm starting to get over it tho lol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i'm going through a personal extreme make over, most people see me as a mash head. every time i'm seen out i'm mashed!!!

well i wanna change this peception of me

i've come off the booze and stopped eating "e's" and i do feel better for it, but i still have to go out at weekends and temptation is always taunting me.

i do have the support of my true friends but sometimes dispite this i still feel invisible, hollow and sometimes depressed

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Eating e's?

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Ahh i hate those shows. But dont let them bother you

Its "e" as in the pill right?

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... if the show people did it to make them happy I'm sure that'd be a different issue... but look at the ones where they do make people lose weight the hard way! they don't just "assist" them, they lock them up in a house and hire people to tell them whatever they do wrong in the most rude way possible to add a bit of personal drama, then they make them dress up horrible so that the viewer can laugh at the fat guys etc.

If someone's that unhappy with themselves just because of their looks, maybe psychotherapy might be more helpful. A lot of people start with one op, then realise now that their nose is smaller they could have bigger lips, too, etc... then add all the maintenance lozzley bear has mentioned! Having a programme that teaches people to like themselves more would be much nicer, but then who'd want to see someone telling people they're not ugly and they can be happier by setting themselves a few realistic aims at a time... rolleyes

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

7,193 posts

Posted:
eating e's..........yes i mean taking ecstasy, it's not big and it's not clever but i feel myself going down a road i don't wish to be.

i'm feelin a bit lonely right now and chewing my face off in a corner isn't exactly attractive.

i'm in need of loving and hugs and pill pals n clubby buddies just cant give me what i crave:(

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Ravehead I'm sure you know all the risks in taking E so I won't go down the road of telling you not to take it. Only you can decide on that front.

What I do want to say to you is, as long as you are a member of this big world wide family of HoP you are never alone or unloved. If you need us just call.

Sorry that was all a bit offtopic but I felt it needed saying.

The hardest part of having problems is often having the courage to ask for help.

Back on topic
-------------
These programs get made because

A) they are relatively cheap for TV companies to make.
B) people seem to be obsessed with this voyeuristic style of TV and the TV program makers know they will be able to sell the shows.
C)everyone has insecurities about themselves and its very easy to find subjects to 'star' in these shows.

My advice to you is that if you don't like shows like this, that put pressure on people to believe that the most important thing about them is how they look, is don't watch them. The lower the viewing figures the less likely the TV companies are to buy them.

If they make you feel ugly or inadequate, again, don't watch them. You do NOT have to buy into this crap.

I know it is rammed down our throats day in and day out in Ads and mags and on TV but you don't have to buy into it.

Some of the most beautiful people I know would probably not fulfil the criteria that these shows would call 'beautiful' but thats not because they are not, it's because these shows are shallow and quite frankly need to re-access their idea of what true beauty is. After all what really matters to you.. if someone has straight level eyes with long lashes or has eyes that can see when you need help or a hug? Ears that are perfectly formed and don't stick out or ears that can here when you are in pain?

I know what I think is more important to me and what makes me see the beauty in people.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
to add to skullys list -
D) everyone has insecurities and everyone has wished for a quick fix...therefore everyone can identify with the subject of the show. it makes large parts of the viewing audience feel good when they see the 'swan' at the end of it.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I'm relatively comfortable with how I look, like a girl, but honestly I don't care how other people see me. I don't look at other people and judge them by how they look because 99 times out of 100 you are wrong about them. All of the magazines and TV shows care about it the outside when what people should really look at is whats on the inside.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Written by: lozzley bear

to add to skullys list -
D) everyone has insecurities and everyone has wished for a quick fix...therefore everyone can identify with the subject of the show. it makes large parts of the viewing audience feel good when they see the 'swan' at the end of it.

Well that kinda contradicts what skully is saying, she is saying (i think) that you should stop buying into the way people TELL you how to look and realise we all have our own inner buety and feeling good about yourself is what counts.

I however am perfectly happy to be a sheep and buy into it all lol ubbrollsmile

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
I saw a show the other day called "I want a famous face". It was worse than extreme makeover coz all the people had absolutely nothing wrong with them physically, they just went under the knife to look like celebrities. I mean, this guy was on the other day coz he wanted to look like Elvis! Does anyone else think this is sort of wrong?

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
It's not 'sort of wrong' its utterly wrong. What surgeon would do that kind of operation? Whoever it was should be struck off!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i agree with if i dont like it to turn it off, but when im in someone elses house, i have to go with what they are doing.

and another thing i find interesting. the "makeover" is permenant. ok. but the night i was watching it, the presenter gave her mother a normal make over (ie, makeup and a hair cut). and i found that so silly. as soon as you wipe it off you are back to normal. id rather give my mum a gift voucher to a day spa for a massage and aromatherapy. she doesnt get to wear full make up for a day, but she gets her stressed out muscles relaxed!

and Skully, they plastic surgeons are upposed to "advise" about plastic surgery that is just a load of crap. even though thats obviously not what happens.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

7,193 posts

Posted:
hug FANKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Skulduggery

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

I however am perfectly happy to be a sheep...

Me too!

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Here's a spanner for the works:

I did my own makeover in 2000-2001. I lost 50 pounds.

I didn't use pills or surgery or anything. I got my rear in gear, started swimming and watching my weight and...SLOWLY...SLOWLY...but surely and inorexably, the weight came off. 22 kilos of it.

In the process I gained energy, my blood pressure dropped, and I felt better about myself in general and I felt better in myself. I got younger that year.

The problem with liposuction and other "instant" makeovers is that they don't fix the underlying problem. See, I believe that true physical beauty starts from within. Physical beauty is about a healthy glow to the cheeks, a healthy, strong body that's properly cared for, and a healthy, strong psyche that holds that healthy, strong body with pride and confidence because the psyche knows that the body is strong, healthy, and well cared-for.

All this makeover business is meant to work from the outside and make it appear as if the person is beautiful, but it's just superficiality.

I don't think it's superficial to necessarily judge someone on their looks, but perhaps the difference is that I judge people on how they got to look that way.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
reading new scientist the other day (probably like 5 months old cos i only get to read old ones people give me) i was reading about how something like 90% of people who get liupo suction gain the weight again in a very short amount of time and many get heavier so those "quick fixes" often don't work unless the person is dedicated to the cause and is going to change their lifestyle.

sorry to go a bit off topic but lightnigs post meminded me of it

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
best weightloss programme i ever heard of. And i think it was on here:

Use more energy than you take in. you'll lose weight.
(not sure who that was. kudos to who said it)
----

On topic, i think that i was made to look the way i do for a reason. perhaps, fate has in it's mind that someone will be extraordinarily attracted to the face/body i have, and thats for a reason. I could, possibly change it, but i don't think i will.

Off(sih) topic, i remember hearing a story about a girl who became addicted to plastic surgery. she only really woke up to how bad it was when she found herself as a bondage model trying to pay off her latest cut(s). Not sure if anyone has heard of/about this, but i hope it has some relevance...

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
There was a story a few decades ago... some guy sold diet pills and promise you had to take only one and you'd lose weight.

Turned out to be true.

Unfortunately, it worked because the pills were tapeworm larvae/eggs/something. ubblol

(G.W. Dahlquist)

crumbleBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
thats either really sick or really funny...I haven't decided yet :-)

Pessimists are usually right but we have optimists to thank for progress

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
There's better and worse ways to lose weight tho. I dropped about 6.5 pounds in June. By lifting weights and eating healthy. thats good.

In July I lost another three pounds, by running all over england, walking way too much (more than 8 hours many days) and eating about one meal a day. It actually went ok, but its not really recommended.

So I gained a little of it back when i came back to the states. Since then I've been dropping off more weight again, but mainly by not eating enough. Because I'm stressed. Usually I gain weight when stressed, but i'm combating that in a horribly unhealthy way.....

I'm not as upset about my body image as I was in, say, april, but I can't seem to get on track to fixing it either. And every time I see a picture of Natalie portman or some 16yo girls I feel very very .... old. fat. and ugly. especially my face :/

Those makeover shows, they never look very good tho imo. and agreed quick fixes are silly.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Page: