Forums > Social Chat > Is liquid latex body paint flammable?

Login/Join to Participate

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Has anybody had experience spinning fire with liquid laxet body paint on?
If you get little random touches with the fire does it protect or melt?
We just got hired to do shows at a club in Baja. The promoter wants the girls topless or nearly so. We were discussing the options and the subject of latex came up.

peace,
Maximus

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
Haven't tried it myself, but i'd be very disinclined to do so, as most paint is very flammable.
A good bet to check this out is to get a can/tube/whatever, call your local fire station and ask them about it. They may want you to read off the contents, hence having the package handy...

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Latex is a rubber material. Since rubber is not a heat resistant material and melts I would imagine that the body paint would do similar.

Test it. Not on your own skin but something else. At least put it on something and touch a flaming wick to it to see what happens.

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I would think it goes up like dry fluff on the driest of fluff stuff..

I think Latex is ruber dirived.. If it did go up it would stick to the skin and sizzel..

Best dress the girlies in little leather basques.. much sexier! But TOPLESS?? I wouldn't so that for toffee.. sure the guy is not a perve?

But I could be wrong..

[ 08 November 2002, 07:13: Message edited by: Stix ]

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Ictusmember
60 posts

Posted:
I concur with Stix.

Having read ths post I lit a corner of an old thick latex mask of mine. It did indeed catch fire after 2 or 3 seconds, though was slow to spread. It then dripped and frazzled. I think that it's safe to say that the thinner the layer of latex, the quicker it'd catch. Rubber is quite a tough material, though, in solid form, so a glancing blow by the whick may only frazzle a painted-layer or two or three.

If latex paint turns out to be quite flamable you could try getting some normal latex, and mix it with whatever colouring you want (maybe earths and ochres, as used by the Aborigines. These shouldn't be flamable), and use as many layers as is comfortable.

Hope this helps

Does anyone know of any kind of non-flamable substance that could be painted on as an under-layer, to give some sort of protection from burning paint/latex?

Art is a re-creation of the world according to the artist's metaphysical value-judgements -Ayn Rand

Time is the fire in which we burn -Gene Roddenberry

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
After doing some research I can safely say: I have no idea. But I tried. Latex is flammable, but so is everything. I'm not sure if it's more flammale than any other type of plastic.

Also, I do know that putting something on UNDER something that is burning will do no good. A non-flammable undercoat wouldn't protect from the heat of the external fabric burning. For example, if you wrapped your naked body in aluminum foil, then put clothes on and lit the clothes, you'd get some pretty bad burns through the aluminum foil (which obviously won't burn or melt at poi temperatures). Though it'd be worth it to see some naked person wrap himself in tinfoil.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Wasn't there a thread a while back about Wick Effect (sp?) using a fire resistant spray on themselves before a performance?

Could you not use something similar over the body paint if you're worried?

Just a thought.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
and should this not be in Technical or Help or sumfink?

Meh

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the helpful ideas. Sounds like nobody has tried it and nobody should.
The promoter is no more a perve than I am, probably less so--he only cares about money. He got the idea from me, in fact. I have two pro strippers in the troupe. And the other two girls will go topless if they get paid an additional hundred bucks each. The promoter can't afford that much tit, so the only nipples showing will be mine and Sid's.

Yeah, C@ntus, I spose this should be in the Technical or Help thread. G'head, move it, somebody.

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
It burns about as fast as skin does, so however long it takes to burn your skin, that's how long it would take to melt.

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

henrykipsonstranger
2 posts

Posted:
I need liquid latex body paint.Anyone have experience with liquid latex body paint,it is the first time i am going to buy.Please help me.

liquid latex body paint

masoncadeBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
I asked it on Yahoo! answers, not the most reliable source, but you tend to get multiple answers very quickly. I'll get back to you once I have an answer grin

<br />

masoncadeBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
i guess it is
EDITED_BY: masoncade (1298420486)

<br />

hemiltonflemingstranger
2 posts

Posted:
Yeah I have used the liquid latex in the past, but not any more. Since I tried the latex for body tattoo also, I am hooked. I used the liquid latex on a Challenger kit but response was just ok.

liquid latex body paint