Page:
dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I'm just wondering why technological aspects of society continue to be male dominated areas... By this I am reffering mainly to IT and engineering areas...

I have many friends who are into computers and ALL are male. Most of my girlfriends have never installed windows let alone thought about opening a computer...

So why is it that we women generally avoid technology??? Is it because of nature or nurture? Are we afraid of entering a male dominated society or have we been coaxed into this by societal rules and sterotypes?????

I dont really have an opinion on this! I am just curious!

So go on tell me what you think...

[edit]

BTW I'm not very good at making new threads... frown

[edit]

huggles to all,

kels

EDITED_BY: dromepixie (1126203415)

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
cool topic smile

But in Social Chat?

i'd have popped it in Social Discussion myself, as there'll be less crap jokes\ironic sexism rolleyes

hug

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I don't think it's just IT, I think it's technology jobs in general, including repair work, installations (phone lines etc), electricians, plumbers, carpenters etc that have traditionally been male jobs.

You do certainly get some women in engineering jobs that are very successful and good at what they do, however in my experience you tend to get a much larger percentage of men in such jobs that do it because they have an interest in the area outside of their work, as opposed to choosing it purely as a way of earning a living.

Personally I'm interested in science in general because it's logical, and I like things that make sense. Even if something does make sense, applying science to the problem will sooner or later provide a logical explanation. When I was at university the engineering and computer science degrees had about 98% male students, where as english and history were more like 30%.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
i'm a bit of a techie geek actually.....

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Ok... Firstly good point monkey! I noticed when I got back onto the forum that it was probably a foolish choice of place... Excuse me... I havent been on this forum in a wee little while...

flid - you rock and i would love to chat more to you about this is we see each other at some point...

Tink L. Pants - thats wicked I didnt mean to say there are NO women at all... I just dont seem to find them!

arg... who can move the topic???

huggles
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I use computers because since i was 14 i was unable to write much because of severe problems with my wrists. I was given a laptop and i used it for all of my school lessons as well as homework. I had used computers a lot before but because it became a necessity computers became a huge part of my life. I seemed to find a lot of the computer stuff easy so it seemed natural to continue using them through out my life. I even started a degree in computer science but dropped out for personal reasons.

I think even if i hadn't had to use computers i would still have ended up using them as much as i do now. Techonology interests me, it is in so much around us and i like to be able to understand how things work

so yeah, we're not all technophobes!
EDITED_BY: .:star:. (1126208633)

weeleighlook a rainbow!
237 posts

Posted:
I'm not crazy geeky, but I'm gonna end up with a minor in Computer Science, because I want to get into Computational Chemistry. Even though I'm only taking my first CS class right now. So I guess that counts. smile

"Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth."

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: dromepixie

arg... who can move the topic???

i reckon you should try PM-ing Pele, Flash Fire or Dom and asking one of them.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
um, i've been a computer programmer for the last 6 1/2 years......I'm one of 8 women in an office full of males.

Gayle.....!

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I dont really think that people got the jist of what i was trying to discuss...

I personally love technology... I eat it up bit by bit and enjoy the logical nature of the thinking process.

However I was just trying to get people's thoughts on why there are so few women involved in computers and engineering. I dont see how hard it is for people to actually get involved in an interesting topic...

If I wanted to know how many women on hop do IT I would have asked... My appologies.. I am slightly frustrated with where this topic is going.

I reckon I'll sit around and juggle until a kind soul uncovers some form of adequate insight into this phenomenon I described...

maybe the topic is boring?? frown

huggles
d

juggle

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I will discuss this with my dad, and I will get back to you wink

He lectures in electronics, engineering etc.......

Am I still on topic?

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Ok, men tend to show off, the ownership of technology, they like to get one up on their mates, for example my cousin (male) has 100, 000 odd mp3s on his hard drive, just so he can say yeah I have "bleh" amount on my hard drive.

Maybe its a subcociouse extention of their masculinty,

"my hard drive is bigger and better than yours"
"my car goes faster than yours, and its got super-auto-laser-switch-locking-system and sav nav............so nerr"

How many women would say these comments? i'm guessing not as many as men.

I don't think women tend to show off so much.

But this such a generalisiation on both sides.

There must be a scientific explaination, like differences in the two sexes, in the brain, in hormones? Maybe?

Hmmm
None of this should stop women being intrested and successful in these ares of intrest/study/career

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I can't remember the exact details, perhaps I'll find out if you really want to know, but one of my relatives who died a couple of years ago was quite a famous (in relavent circles) female engineer. She was the only women yonks ago (50s?) in a big power plant and had to harass the management into getting a seperate womens toilets because facilities for women in such jobs had never been seriously thought about before. She was very intelligent and carried on with links to exeter university well into retirement.

Do you want this thread to just be about women and technology jobs, or women and technology in general?

Many women I've met, and I hate to over generalise, just prefer not to get involved with technical things. They notice (and whinge) when things don't work or break down, but arn't so interested in the creation of and installation of the things they rely heavily on. They are happy to use technology things (mobile phones, DVD players etc), but only when they become mainstream, and even then let male counterparts do the buying part.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
women and tehcnology...
but the thread should go where it does I was just wonderin why the women were like oh I do it and oh I do it.... well yeah me too but WHY?
not in the how but the why!

Good point there... I am shocked at how few people really realise how dependent our society is on technology and how if we had none the world would in fact cease to exist as we know it... Traffic lighting systems, damns, airports, communications, hospitals... everything depends on technology!
Unless you live far out in the countryside.

hugs
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by: dromepixie

So go on tell me what you think... Girls are you interested in technology

Written by: drompixie

If I wanted to know how many women on hop do IT I would have asked... My appologies.. I am slightly frustrated with where this topic is going

edit your original post and clarify?

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
ah your going on with specifics now.. I reckoned that would happen at some point... I will edit..................

but at the end of the day a head count and an opinion are two different things... {edit}
EDITED_BY: dromepixie (1126203540)

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Boo_BunnyBRONZE Member
Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy
933 posts

Posted:
Technology is evil

The only nice thing its done for me is HoP

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I've edited my first post, i hope it answers your question better but to be honest your first post wasn't really all that clear that you wanted to discuss the 'why'. You asked if girls were interested in technology and they answered.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
I have to say that i have noticed that most guys are **** with technology too, more women, but so many guys are just to analy retentive, remember people trial and error got us this far in evolution, why start reading instructions now? i get a new piece of technology, and use it, not spend 5 hours reading the manual again and again just to turn it on (my dad shall reamin nameless...i mean uhhhh...) most technology these days is made to be idiot proof, the only time i really read a manual is when i cant figure something out (like how my mates little brother managed to program my radio to turn on at 4:15 EVERY DAY) people need to start looking at the things they buy and reading what the buttons say before getting scared and diving straight into the booklet that is never really helpful anyway

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
you are obviously not familiar with RTFM

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
May have something to do with the distribution of autistic traits. Autism makes it harder to interact socially, and easier to focus on complex systems. (Geeks who aren't in some way autistic are rare).

It's more likely to occur in men as it seems to be linked to either the X or Y chromosome. If one of those has a variation from the norm it is manifested. In women variations have to happen in both X chromosomes, so manifestation of autistic traits is a lot less likey.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
As a female who has been fixing old cars, installing stereos, etc since I was 14, part of the reason IMHO why women don't tend to go for techy stuff is the f**kn hard time any of us get if we choose to do so. I have certainly found that over here Although things are far better now than 5 - 10 years ago

Are you up for it?
wink;)

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Polarity man I never thought of that... WOW food for thought...

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Well, I could be a nerd if I wanted to, however, it doesn't fit my style.

I'm loud, wild and outgoing, if I'm going to be working - I have to get up and go all the time or I'd go crazy.

So, when I have worked, I've done something that's really fits my bill - retail assistant managing. Apparently I'm really good at telling people what to do, seeing that things get done and getting organized. At work, that is, around the house is a different story smile

Computers and such are fun and games for me. I can't see myself working with them all day long.

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I gotta love it biggrin

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

IcerSILVER Member
just a shadow of my former self...
205 posts

Posted:
i think the dominanc eof men in tech areas and engineering and the like might and women in other areas might have somethin gto do with what came up in the 'intelligence men vs women' thread.
men tend to better in some areas, women better in others. its not exclusive, but it tends to set the ground work for patterns.
i think its just the way people (genders) tend to think and process info.

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
(A lot of this expands on what I said in the 'intelligence men vs women' thread.)

I think a lot of it is down to how we've evolved too. If you take away all the stuff we've invented, and most of our tools up until the stone age, that's one of the longest and most influencial periods in our development. In that period men and women would have had very different roles, that would definately affect how we developed and behave today.

There are 43 pairs of chromosomes in the human genome, and one of the pairs is XX in females or XY in males. That difference between X and Y is a full 1/43 of the genetic material that says how we develop from fertilised egg to fully grown. That's a huge difference.

Even if we consider the majority of an X or Y chromosome to have the same DNA codes, the Y chromosome is smaller, so women have more DNA (So now who's more advanced wink ), so there will be difference in development due to that.

If we go back to our stone age humans, then one of the most vital things to the species (as it is for any other that doesn't have the benefits of technology), is survival, and that comes through reproduction.

If we had a group containing 10 people at reproductive age, and 3 were men and 7 were women, then that group would have a much higher reproductive rate than a group with 7 men to 3 women.

Because of this the women had to be protected, while the men were more 'disposable' and could fight among each other and do dangerous things like hunting, without it affecting the birth rate too much.

Men became more likely to take risks and better at exploring the world around them, while women became better at protecting the children, or the elderly, making clothing and tools, and foraging for food within an area patrolled by the men.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes. And the information in the extra X chromosomes is mostly redundant, whilst what little there is in the Y chromosome is unique. Sorry for the science lesson. redface

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Growing up, arent men more encouraged to play with cars and trucks and take things apart, build things and things like that, whereas females are encouraged to play with dolls and be like 'mothers' to them? thus, developing differant interests for men and women
As life goes on, these interests may move on to differant, yet similar objetcs, only bigger and better.
I dont know... Im probably really off... but just some thoughts

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
(Typos whilst tired. I was half way through typing 46 and decided on 23 pairs. I do have an A-level in biology), Having a pair of X chromosomes means that there is a backup copy of the data to prevent genetic mutations from manifesting. There have to be flaws in both X chromosomes for mutations to occur in females, while in men any mutations in X or Y chromosomes don't have a backup so are more likely to manifest.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i wish i knew....

woman just don't seem to be as interested in learning about factual things. this is a generalization guys! I'm female! And I like compilers!

Its just, so many times its girls I see saying blah blah this is boring, or "you just fix it for me" and wanting to talk about clothing or feelings or whatever...

not that talking about those things is bad, expecially feelings which men have some problems with as a whole, but its interesting.....

anyway, that would be my thought, loose and useless tho it prolly is

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Page: