truespinnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
Hiya, I've been twirling for a couple of months now (since the Glade festival in the UK...) and have been making do with what is essentially a log/stick that is too thick, heavy and not quite perfectly balanced (but has done me proud for the time being) - so am on the look out for my first staff.
I have searched the forum and found answers to many of my questions already - but just want to ask you guys opinions of my plans:
Thought I may as well buy a firestaff from the off - so I get used to the weight, timing etc. of it and stick some socks over the wicks until I am proficient (and brave) enough to use fire.
I've had a look at a few of the UK's online purveyors of juggling/staffy things trying to work out what I want.
At first I thought it would be the basic medium wood core firestaff from firetoys (https://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/Medium_length_firestaffs.html) but since they're out of stock at the moment I'm thinking of something else...
I've read some rave reviews of tepooka staffs but they seem to be light-weight aluminium and I was thinking a wood one might be more what I'm looking for - am *just* starting playing with some contact stuff and reasonably regularly drop the staff...
OR - I could go the other way and get one of those beautiful concentrate 3-part staffs (just been paid biggrin, it would be much easier to transport/take to festivals and they *are* in stock) - is this appropriate for a first staff, would I just break this in days/weeks and not get the benefit of this fine staff?
I'm 5'8" and my current staff/stick/log comes up to my chin and this seems like quite a nice length - any opinions...
Cheers,
/truespin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
These are quite good as you can break them down into 3 peices. Email Malcolm for more information.

The te pookas sticks are really nice too, but parcel force are chicken gibblets and make problems when trying to send sticks in the post. They are *really good for contact and for spinning. Contact Bluecat for more info on these.

smile

truespinnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
that's the concentrate staff I was thinking about... biggrin
they're pretty rugged yeah? easier to buy online too I guess because they break down... hmm
Do you know what sort of P&P would a te pooka staff cost to send within the UK (ballpark obv.)
I take it Bluecat is a member on here - the maker of te pooka's?
Thanks for your help,
/truespin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

I dont think Rob is the maker of the sticks, but is a member of te Pooka so will know what to say.

smile
The last I knew was that te Pooka dont post out sticks due to P&P being more than the staffs cost (I may be talking gibberish but I think im right).

truespinnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
ahh frown will probably have to wait until the next festival season to grab one of those then... will give bluecat a shout to find out for sure.
the innercore three part ones are looking more and more attractive...
Cheers for your help
/truespin

wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Little grey innercore is my first fire staff, it's a beautifully balanced stick. I spin daily and am big on throwing high and often don't catch-- it's taken a lot of abuse in the 5 months I've had it, (including the lake incident) and still in fine shape. Cover the wicks though, I got lazy and mine are beginning to fray.
The breaking down thing is really very handy.
linda

truespinnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
great news - I think that is decided now smile
Now I just gotta decide what size I need/want - recommendations? I guess 122/132cm?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
my innercores are 1m

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

truespinnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
bender - you do 2 staff stuff though yeah?
I can only *just* manage one at the moment!
I have been enjoying using quite a long staff so far (am 5'8" and it comes up to my chin) - would you advise getting a short one to begin with then? and the contact stuff *really* appeals to me - I guess this is more difficult with a shorter staff?
(each question I ask raises another couple!)

wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Contact definitely harder with a short staff, for balance. Also fire a lot closer to you all the time. In retrospect I think I might have started with a longer one as I've had some fire-intimidation to work out-- probably would have been less if the flame part was a bit further away. Played with a friend's 5 footer last night for contact- wonderful! Slower and stays put on whatever body part so much better. I'd go with the longer-- or maybe just pick the prettiest colour? biggrin
linda

truespinnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
well the colour matters too smile
5' would be what about a metre and a half?
looks like it is the blue or red innercore staff then! Blue has gotta be cooler smile
132cm vs 142cm... hmm decisions decision

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
truespin, i believe that your answer at this time must come in two answers.

longer staves
Contact is made easier with a fair length as it allows for more room for combination movements, though it is jerkily possible on 1m staves.

shorter stave
I prefer 1m staves for doubles as my f'wirling style concentrates alot on 'between the legs', buzzsaw and swapping movements (see the tiny vid in my HoP gallery)

it is the masterful twirler that can make do with any size stick for their requirements.
for ordinary humans like us, it's just a matter of finding the right tools to do the right job for the best results.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

=Flamer=member
192 posts

Posted:
truespin. If you're looking for a cheap but well made and custom staff go to tePooka. I ordered my staff from there... they ask you everything you would like... from the size of the grip to the colour of the spangle. I bought a 1.4m fire staff with Red spangle and Red grip for the cheap cost of £28 including p&p. I highly recomend them... great service... i recieved mine the day after payment.

Fire Staff £27, Paraffin £10... setting yourself alight, Priceless!

truespinnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
I think for the moment while I am starting out and just using one staff a longer one will be more suitable and forgiving...
when i get anywhere near your standard I will of course buy two 1m staves and rinse out 8)

truespinnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
RE: Flamer
I think I've decided I'd get more use out of a staff that breaks down as I would be able to transport it to various places *much* more easily and I'd therefore get more use out of it (even if it is twice the price...) and I've just been paid so what the hell....
I've spoken with bluecat from tepooka and was obviously tempted by their great staffs - but I think it's the inner-core for me smile

=Flamer=member
192 posts

Posted:
Good choice anyway. Im planning on getting a sectional staff one of these days. It gets a bit stressful sometimes when trying to lugg around a 1.4m staff. Hope you put it to good use and it serves you well.

Keep on spinning.

Fire Staff £27, Paraffin £10... setting yourself alight, Priceless!