Page:
*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I put in an order last night for a heap of electronics bits and bobs. So with a bit of luck, I'll soon have v0.3 working (less batteries, less weight, smaller size, accelerometers, programmable memory etc. etc.) - quite exciting stuff really smile

Cake or Death?

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
oooo please can i test them... please o please o please o please!!!!! xxxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
i'll volunteer as a test type person. do they also come with handles that work well on toes? i've noticed that that is a common fault on many poi sold at the moment.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Written by: 2bags

i'll volunteer as a test type person. do they also come with handles that work well on toes?

Probably depends on the design of the toes... The prototype I have now has half a rubber ball for a handle. I see no reason why you couldn't slot that between some toes. Either that or attach your own toe loops - the possibilities are endless wink

Cake or Death?

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
One suggestion, seal everything. I'm on my 4th iteration of home made LED poi and my biggest pitfall (after bump proofing) is keeping the connections stable. I bring LED poi out to Burning Man and the uber fine dust out there will kill just about any switch within a couple of days. I ended up putting molded plastic bags over heavy duty rocker switches to keep all the junk out. I'm not sure that is the best design but it held up over a week in the desert where my other LED poi died in a day.

Keep us posted on your progress, I'm dying to get my hands on programmable poi.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i can't wait for the next model also can i put in an uber advanced order for the hyperlight staffs if you make them cos they are easily as good (probably better) than techs and the price is soooo much better

also i feel i would be an excellent teste for them cos i can break things quite well wink

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

XerxesDittomember
36 posts

Posted:
Nice....

Fear is the mind-Killer...

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I want some too...

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Very nice smile Who's the spinner?

Cake or Death?

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I think that's Meenik.

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I thought it might be, just going by the stance of the spinner, but the face doesn't look right.. maybe it's just 'cos it's a bit blurry. 'tis very hard to take long exposures by hand - I'm sure I couldn't hold a camera still enough to get shots like that!

Cake or Death?

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I know: I usually identify long exposure pics by trousers and shoes!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Looking at the photo, you can see I need to do some more work on balancing the colours. They're not all the correct brightness which means there's no turquoise (it just looks like light blue).

P.s - Vix, could you resize the photo down to something a bit less heeeeowge? hug

Cake or Death?

misstinytinanewbie
22 posts

Posted:
put me down 4 some of those,
there wicked

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah i will do... it usually does it itself... not sure what photobucket is playing at! xxx

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
I was just about to start looking for some glow poi for when fire isn't an option...I shall now wait. Of course by the time there ready Uni shall have stolen all my money but I can survive without food, have to prioritise.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't hold your breath. They're developing, but slowly - 'tis not easy developing something as complicated as my HyperLights and having a full time job! That said, the next version are definitely on their way smile

Cake or Death?

XerxesDittomember
36 posts

Posted:
Long exposures, I use an EOS with a tripod and a remote shutter release...

But those still look....well, wonderful.

(and LEDs DO strobe on their own....seriously, take a photo of one moving (connected to DC) and move it....you will end up with streaks, like on the road....)

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
You will end up with 'streaks' but I'm telling you, LEDs will not strobe on their own. If they were strobing, you'd see lots of dots instead of long trails smile

Cake or Death?

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
MR matt - can i be a tester pleaseeee? i promise to be really nice and test them lots biggrin

lol

thanks again for letting me play with them @ fal - cant wait to see the next incarnation

back

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Out of interest, are you planning to light up the battery pack in any way?

While I really enjoyed the brief play with them I had at falmouth, I was very wary about being fooled into thinking that they're shorter than they actually are because you can't see the ends in the dark.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah Mr Bov does have a very good point! xxx

XerxesDittomember
36 posts

Posted:
Nuh-uh, it's dependant on how fast they are moving, and their duty cycle.

The only way that you could obtain dots, is if the le is strobing at a speed so rediculously fast, that only a small time frame is available for each strobe.

ok, think of it like this; do Streetlights strobe?

(they do)
Take a long exposure whilst moving the camera, it's the same effect as with the LEDs....

but yes, you get streaks.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

While I really enjoyed the brief play with them I had at falmouth, I was very wary about being fooled into thinking that they're shorter than they actually are because you can't see the ends in the dark.

Unfortunatly, I didn't take that into account. So bonk they went and out went the pretty colours.

Terribly sorry for that Mr. Hyperlight hug

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
The short answer is yes; I will be putting LEDs in the ends... One of the many points of constructive critism I took away from Falmouth was the fact that you can't see the battery pack. I hadn't realised how much of an issue it was until then - Falmouth was the first real outing for my toys smile

The next version should be about half the size which will help, but the additional LEDs will help too.

Don't worry FRD they're working again; they're back in 'the lab' being transmogrified. When they emerge, they should be smaller, cleverer and even more fun than before biggrin

Cake or Death?

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Woohoo biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Just an idea or two for improvements (you may or may not know already)

Transistors:

use FET transistors - they are slightly more expensive than standard npn/pnp's but they have good advantages:

no resistor required for the gate as they are voltage switched rather than current. This means less components (improved reliability, less build time, smaller circuit board, tiny weight reduction) and also no current 'wastage' = slightly better battery life. Also easier to change the circuit whilst optimising the lights.

Diffusion:

this can apply to socks or tubes and the result is excellent if done right (some calculations are required to get it perfect but you can do a good job with trial and improvement)

use a translucent material (perfectly clear won't work too well)

on the inside, paint matt white dots all around (tippex works well, but you can find better stuff, and a printer or template, if you go into production)

The dots need to take up a lot of the surface area (maybe even 50% or more) near the lights, reducing in a logarithmic kind of way towards the unlit end.

the effect is that more of the light is scattered back into the unit nearer the lights so you get an even glow all along the poi if done right.

hope these tips help you or anyone else that's making glowpoi... you'll be amazed how well the diffusion works, especially if you can find a good diffusion material for the 'socks' also - I'd suggest a acrylic/polycarbonate (or mixture) prismic or bead film, although a white material like you're using would work fine too. The film I'm talking of is ofted used in shower curtains which would be good for prototyping.

best of luck,

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Page: