Forums > Social Chat > entirely frivolous discussion about hair...

Login/Join to Participate

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Okay, I just had to share this with you...

For the first time in 16 years I have hair (on my head ) long enough to tie back. This is a revelation for me. I have to do all that standing at the mirror & twisting it into pretty styles thing. I am fascinated at the moment, but I kinda figure I will get sick of it soon.

Have you ever gone from long to short, or short to long hair? Did you spend high school planning what dramatic hairstyles you were going to have when you graduate?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

lollipurple penguin- soon to be
478 posts
Location: playing with the pixies at the arsse end of the mi...

Posted:
oooh purdy purdy rozi!

i know sort of what you mean. . you know all that mass of hair i had when we met up in sydney, well tis all gone well not all of it but i it doesnt go beyound my shoulders which is a first for me since i was 3 or something ahhh

keep being as beautifull as you always are
lots of love and hugs
lolli x x x

My spelling wobbles. its very good spelling but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong place

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I had a crewcut when i was in school and started growing my hair the day i left. Grew it til it reached my waist.

I got my dreads in March 95. My dready mohawk evolved in July 95.

It reamined pretty much like that for ages. Had dreads to my waist for a while but they were getting in the way so i cut them to collar length a few years back. Now they are longish again.

I've added sparkley in the last 2 years and have started dying them pretty colours too.

I've forgotten the topic . . . am i close to it?

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Lolli has a silly hat to cover up her lack of hair though. Did i say silly? I meant Australian. . .

tum te tum

*tiptoes out and closes the door behind him*

Meh

lollipurple penguin- soon to be
478 posts
Location: playing with the pixies at the arsse end of the mi...

Posted:
fner!! i like my hat and at least i can hide my hair away till it grows again grr

My spelling wobbles. its very good spelling but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong place

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
i have gone from waist length hair to near hnothing three times now!

Firstly, when i was six, moved to darwin, the weather too hot for long hair, so the hairdresser hacked it off

second time, in year twelve, i got a bit stressed out, and 3/4's of my hair fell out.... that was fun. Grew back all curly like shirley temple!

last time, two years ago, living out bush, picking fruit for a living, i had a crew cut (number four for those of you who knows what that means) and i hated it. and it was the dumbest thing i've ever done. and i've been growing it back ever since.....

i am now haircutphobic `

Currently on the right side up of the world.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I have fairly long hair too and am also haircutphobic. My hair is now the longest it's ever been, just past my waist.

Everyone should have long hair!! It's a perfectly natural state for your head to be in!

I had short hair when I was 8, along with an o-so-cool spiky fringe, and when in year 9, I had an undercut ek!

I also had braids down to my arse for close to a year in 1998 - a few different colours and stuff. But they went mouldy so I had to get rid of them. Ruined my hair for a long time.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I am very, very not haircutphobic. I have pretty much always had short hair. My best one was the Mary Quant fringe, it covered one eye and was down to my lips, then it was cut diagonally up following the line of my cheekbones, and curving round to being short on the other side. I used to love that fringe. I even had a teacher take me aside, and just when I thought I was gonna get in big trouble for an extreme haircut, mentioned that her hair used to look just like that in the 60's.

I won't have any qualms about cutting it off if I get sick of it, but it is kinda a challenge at the moment to get it to a decent length.

lolli, you must look even more cute than ever with shorter hair!!! & don't let C@ntus bag you out about hats, I mean, he has got his name on his. What does that say? (well, it says C@ntus, obviously!!)

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
It has a gemstone where the @ should be too

Meh

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
i straightened my hair the other day,i have to say, it looks decidedly cool! plus it makes it a good inch and a half longer....
`

but! if you singe your hair when spinning, then straighten your hair, it becomes painfully obvious where you have patches of hair missing! EEK!

*pats her curls happily*

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I can not have anything touch my neck. Once my hair touches my neck, I get it cut. Or when my sideburns start curling up? Yesh, hair cut time. Only just long enough to spike it (although a week after my hair was cut, it can be spiked. before that it's to short).

Speaking of which. I'm gettin my hair cut this weekend. Yey! (maybe dye my tips blonde if team coach lets me

Kinudin

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
My hair went back and forth when i was a nipper, mostly long, then my sis cut it to collar length when i was fourteen, then it just grew for 12 years. When i was, what, 22 i think, one day I had it all under a hat but for one braid just under my ear. On impulse, i cut off the braid and gave it to a friend (hilarious, sitting in Denny's at midnight hacking away with my friends' Swiss Army knife scissors, laughing). So then i had long hair and a reverse tail (this is when the short hair/long tail thing had spread from the lesbians to the vatos and was picking up with the skinny tie set). So i had that for years, and I was just about getting it caught in my panties (when i wore 'em). I was at a friends house one night, and just decided i'd had it with the same ole hair. So i asked for scissors (regular ones this time) and whacked off the strip from under my left ear (my reverse tail) all the way around to below my right ear. Hello, Campus Lesbian haircut! That was a step towards the big shift... A few months later, i decided i was ready, so i called up my hair guy (10:30 at night, mind you, and said "Rick! Come cut my hair!" He said "I'd be happy to, but i just dropped acid. If something goes wrong, you'd feel pretty stupid explaining that you got a haircut from somone who was tripping." He was right, of course, so i waited til the next night, then called him once i got up my nerve. So my hair went from mostly long enough to get caught in my undies, to down to my mouth at the longest point. It was crewcut short on the left, faded around to get longer across the back and just flipped across my cheek in a perfect curve on the right. Cutest haircut ever! It is one of my deep regrets that there are no pictures of that cut...
Then i moved away from my hair guy (used to live three blocks away) and it really did need to be trimmed every two weeks, so i just hacked it off on the right and spiked it all. Also dyed it a nice cherrywood color, looked lovely. This i kept for a coupla months, then let it start growing again, because, although i look fine with short hair, i just don't look like me.

Now it's all one length, to the bottom of my shoulderblades. It got back to my waist again a few years ago, but it gets so heavy, i got 8 inches whacked off, and it behaves nicely at this length, so i've had it trimmed twice more since... My hair grows stupid fast, it's be back down to my waist in a year if i left it be...

What i want to do, and am waiting for the right time (had a near miss a coupla years ago) is:
Let it get a bit longer, and dye it black, blonde, and orange (natural is dark brown), in streaks, so i'd be calico. Then braid it out, then dread out the braids ( which i know will work, they start to dread if i leave a braid in for more than a week), then shave out the sides, and then i'll have a calico dreadlock mohawk!

But for now i'm mainly just gonna have my pal Chip put some color in it. I'm not sure what he has in mind, just that it'll involve some red. I trust him, so he's just gonna get the color and frolic...

[ 07 November 2002, 19:05: Message edited by: Jade Lynx ]

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
My mother kept my hair short in a pageboy style for years until I rebelled and grew it long where it went between bob-shoulder length for years. When I went to Japan I hacked all my hair off into a short crop. I had it like that for about 3-4 years, but I let it grow again cause I hated having to go to the hairdressers all the time and I looked like a fluffy chick when I woke in the worning.

My hair is getting quite long now - mainly cause I am too mean to go the hairdressers, I cut my own fringe and my mother trimmed my hair for me last time I was home.

Something that has always bugged me is that I have never been able to do anything 'different' with my hair colour / dreads wise as anything different is frowned upon. The most outlandish hair colour I ever had was too white blonde streaks at the front of my hair that I was able to hide for work. Then Everybody started copying me so I died my hair back again.

I did have a haircut that was sort on one side and cue diagonally to form a bob on the other side.

I don't know how many times I heard - could you not afford to get both sides of your hair cut - boom boom!

I quite like having long hair to play with, but if I could I would go for the Sinead O Connor (no more hair and I could shave it myself without the trauma of a hairdressers!) Unfortunately I don't think my work place would be too understanding.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
lol @ flynt and the burned bits.... tee hee

Rozi - congrats on your hair! Hope you have much fun trying out all those new styles involving scrunchies and the like

I had a camp-kids haircut until I was about 7
Then Long, long lovely hair until I was 14 (past my waist)
Then I got it all cut to a really harsh bob type ugly thing that was up to my earlobes!
Then I grew that out. (thank goodness)
Then I met my be-mowhawked Mr.Cantus Fraggle this when I was 16
Now, at age 17, I have loverly, wonderful just-past-my-shoulder-length dreads!! Whooooppiee!

And that's my hair's story

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'm sure my hair is actually a seperate being living on my head, since I have no control over it at all.
The style my hair is in at any given moment depends entirely on what it's feeling like - regardless of what I try doing to it, it sticks out in some random places and stays squashed to my head in others. The double crown at the back doesn't help much either.
At the moment, it's sticking out pretty much all over my head, except for patches down the left side, where it's staying closer to my head for some reason.

I've more or less given up with it now - I'll grow it for a while before I get bored, then have it shaved down to about grade 2 or 3 and let it start growing again.
The longest I've let it grow was long enough to chew the end if I pulled it down to my mouth, but since it pulls itself into curls if it's longer than about an inch, all of it was curled up on top of my head.
I'm assured that if I let it grow long enough for it's weight to pull it off my head, I'd end up with ringlets - I'm curious to see what that'd look like, but I really don't want to invest the time in growing them.

I really hate having my hair cut too, which is just as well since my hair blunts scissors
A friend of my mum's who used to cut my hair used to bring round a freshly sharpened pair of scissors and have to sharpen them again after my hair

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

HavocHavoc
168 posts

Posted:
umm... hairy! well i have me hair cut very short about every 8-10 weeks, and it grows like snuff the rest of the time... If usually starts to pss me off when i have to do something with it in the morning to make it look sane!

When i have to wet my hair to make it stick down i know its time for a hair cut!

I have much respect for peeps with long hair that can actually be bothered with the "standing infront of the mirror twisting into pretty styles" part of the morning. For me its another 5 mins i could have in bed!

Havoc

you have to let it all go... Fear, doubt and disbelief... Free your mind!

Times like these people wanna get High...
Real High and Real Fast...
This is gonna do it!!

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
my story is nothing compared to everyone here! but oh well...
my hair grew until i was nine when i had my first real haircut, it was cut from my butt to my shoulders, the hairdresser did it in a plait and cut it straight across!
after that its all been pretty boring, its never been really long again, ive played around with dye, all the extreme colours dont stick in my hair for some reason...
my drunken 'friends' cut a bit off it one night with those crayola scissors (and i gave them permission!)
ive got it really short at the moment after getting a lit poi stuck in it...i had to take off 12cm!
id love to let it go to dreads or get hundreds of tiny plaits like the africans have, but like Kat, i dont think work would like it much...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I shaved my head this summer and now I'm just letting my hair grow for a while to see what happens. I have to keep it somewhat reasonable and "professional," so no dreds or anything like that, but I have that curly/wooly/poofy Jewish hair so I'm just going to see what happens when you combine a "Jewfro" with the amount of chlorine damage that I inflict on my hair (I spend an hour and a half in the water every day).

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
And I must say that my Napalm Fairy looks devilishly sexy with her dreads too

Meh

queen of wandsmember
127 posts

Posted:
quote:
My hair is now the longest it's ever been, just past my waist.
Almost there as well, Flash! I look like pippy longstocking when i braid it though, which is kinda fun

quote:
When I went to Japan I hacked all my hair off into a short crop.
They kept playing with and touching my hair over there, even people i didn't know did it!!!

I'm not vegetarian, but currently I'm off my chops!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Rozi: long hair is good!

I've just had the opposite happen to me. For the first time in about 9 years I can't tie my hair back! I was going to go for a trim, but tonight I got convinced by a hair dresser friend to finally let him loose on my hair! Marco is a hairdressing god and he does what he feels is best based on your looks and personality, so I didn't have much of a say! eek! However I know Marco and I would never let anyone else have a go at my hair.

Anyway, it's still long and it's got a style to it. Looks good. Think Jennifer Aniston, think Ginola, think Chesney Hawkes

Going to have to start wearing a hat when I spin fire now!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Chesney Hawkes!!! How many years has it been since I heard that name...

Okay, so first you were Brad Pitt, now you are Jennifer Aniston. Is anyone else getting worried? Thank God you didn't go for the Gwyneth look

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I used to get called Chesney cos of my hair.

"I am the one and only, nobody i'd rather be .. ."

My Napalm Fairy calls Dom The Leggy Blonde

Meh

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
This my hair now ->
Non-Https Image Link

.... unfortunately my head doesnt pulse like that normally

So much fire, so little body hair...

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
queen of wands - I look like a Helga when I braid my hair. This photo was taken about a year ago.

[ 08 November 2002, 18:20: Message edited by: flash fire ]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
I had long hair for almost as long as I can remember, from high school on. I was a headbanger-child of the 80's, and I loved it. The way the wind felt, they way it dragged across my neck, it hung mostly to the middle of my back for 12 long years. I toyed with the idea of cutting it, but never followed through. And then one day, for no particular reason (soundin' like Forest Gump now) I just got it cut down to nothing.

I was feeling stagnated, so I guess I needed a change in my life. And that was certainly a major one. Before September I was usually referred to as a hippie, or the 'long-haired freak.' (Like it was my only attribute) but since The Mowing, I have found that my hair was quite the security blanket. I feel much better about myself and my life without it. I think it was a good change.

Although, the romance department seems to be unaffected by my new look. Must be that trickle down theory at work...

But I save a ton of cash on shampoo!

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

queen of wandsmember
127 posts

Posted:
quote:
I have found that my hair was quite the security blanket.
Yeah, done the "cousin it" from addams family thing a few times myself to avoid being recognised by people I don't wanna see at the time...

I'm not vegetarian, but currently I'm off my chops!