TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
i keep forgetting to go to the drug store and buy some cream for this terrible affliction. anyone know of any home remedies?

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
If it's a true cold sore, then it's caused by a Herpesvirus (HSV-1).

There is a great over-the-counter remedy sold in the US called ABREVA. It's a cream that prevents the virus from entering and infecting new cells. It reduces healing time by a few days and works best if applied during the prodrome.

Tablets such as acyclovir and valacyclovir (VALTREX) or topical creams such as pencyclovir (DENAVIR) also work well.

For home remedies, the treatment is symptomatic. It treats the symptom, but not the underlying cause (the virus). This consists of making sure that the area is well-lubricated and obstructed with a thick barrier such as a soothing ointment.

Be sure not to kiss anyone during a cold sore outbreak as this can spread the infection, although over 90% of adult Americans are infected, whether they get cold sores or not.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
Alternative treatments:

Don't share towels, pillows or face cloths during an attack and avoid all forms of skin contact, especially kissing and do not touch the blisters unnecessarily as they may spread - if you touch them accidentally wash your hands straight away. Apply colloidal silver directly to cold sores, several times a day and take internally to boost immunity. chuck your toothbrush as it can harbour the virus.

Aromatherapy - bergamot, eucalyptus and tea tree oils will help to treat the blisters and should be applied in a carrier oil at the first sign of a sore. Lavender oil will help to heal any sores that erupt.

western herbalism - St. johns wort tincture applied at the first sign of tingling should stop a cold sore from appearing. Herbs which can be taken as infusions to bolster the immune system are Echinacea, Siberian ginseng, nettle and goldenseal.

Homeopathy - Nat.Mur for deep cracks in the lower lip, dry mouth and puffy, burning sores. Rhux Tox. for mouth and chin sores and ulcers at the corner of the mouth. Sempervivum for ulcers in the mouth and bleeding gums with symptoms that are worse at night. Capsicum for cracks at the corners of the mouth, pale lips, rash on chin, blisters on tongue and bad breath.

stolen from here - https://houseofstrauss.co.uk/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=35
don't trust everything it says but i've heard of most of these elsewhere

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
i used perfume once - stung like nothing else. last time i broke out (after a cold) it just wouldnt heal and kept tranferring from lip to lip. I kept licking it too and it took ages to heal

this time i'm not licking it, it hasnt bled like last time (people thought i had jam on my lip lol) and i've not put perfume on it. its healing quicker, but it's just so annoying!

cheers doc

lozz u r a thief lol (hides the jammie dodgers)

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible