FlashburnSILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
hi i was wondering if anyone new of any fire spinning tournaments in the uk

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
There aren't any, as far as I know. Fire spinning is a non-competitive thing, a bit like music or art. Its more of a way of expression than a sport and because of that competitive spinning is pointless.

Sorry if that sounds a little harsh.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

FlashburnSILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
r right i feel their should n could be seein as even music has gone onto be competative such as rap battles the market itself is always about producers competing against others to make the best music in this corporation run world (hail protestors) as long as their is an element which can determine who has a better show with the skills to impress more than others there should be fire tournaments

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Good point but I'm not sure that a competition is the best way to decide things like that when it comes to spinning. I think most of the spinners here don't really care who's best. How would you decide who's best? Style? Technical Difficulty? I know some spinners who do really simple moves and make them look better than someone doing a hyper-whirly-death-cyanide-spin-thingy so it makes that kind of judgment pointless.

"corporation run world"

Spinning isn't corporate (yet?) so there's not much of an incentive to compete as people seem to gain more respect from being both tallented and nice people and not over competitive. I think that the ability to push the boundaries of what is possible with the arts would probably be negatively affected by people competing as spinners might keep new ideas to themselves. Perhaps I'm just being naive. Personally I think the current system of friendly meets is perfect and can't really see a point in tournaments at all.

Blue48SILVER Member
36 posts

Posted:
I couldn't agree more. Give poi another ten years (once people's kids who started with it grow up and start creating x-game worthy insane tricks we've never thought of), and maybe it'll turn competitive. Right now it's still an ideal time to enjoy it as an art, and meet a million cool people who aren't out to show you up, but rather to make friends and trade style/tricks/friendships.

Just my present optimistic, future pessimistic thoughts.
smile

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
There are competitions smile
I know of one that took place in East Bourne, and in Kent

smile

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I agree, the last thing this art needs is some competitive knob heads trying to be better than other people, which unfortunately i can see happening already.

A lighthearted poi battle, also known as the renegade goes on at the play festival, thats fun, but not taken seriously

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
In America they have a juggling competition.

Toss-Jugglers are elitist. -_-

Willy - is bad for your health...

FlashburnSILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
thanks for all your comments i see that spinnin is a good form of art and expression in itself and a good way to meet like minded people (plus a good way to bring a bit of life back into a party)

I still believe that there should be competitions though to give people an extra push into bettering their skills at the art ,same as a fire meet but with a prize such as an opertunity to take it up as a profession ( mean who here whould love to do it for a livin) at the end for the person who has the better show being accredated for their hard work, whilst also bein givin the chance (due to what is seen as a friendly mass of people) to still learn from their predessesors

If there are competitions some people have said of where are they more so how have they taken the art into tournament style
EDITED_BY: d-locco (1126010556)

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Some of us do perform for a living but I still don't see why, in order to be clased as a "professional", there has to be some sort of competitive scene. Not only that but how would a competition be judged? There are so many elements to a that make up a poi (or any other fire art) performance. Just thinking of two things off the top of my head, there's footwork and integration with whatever music the spinner uses that make judging a competition difficult. Someone could have fantastic footwork and only be performing simple techniques whereas someone else could be performing the latest hyper-whirly-death-cyanide-spin-thingy and not move from the spot he/she starts on. Who scores higher? Same with music, if someone has choreographed a routine that fits with a particular song yet again only performs simple techniques (say routine made from butterflies "Wings Of A Butterfly by HIM) and another person performs jedi moves to a beat, who should score higher?

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
They seem to be able to make up a point system for ice skating. The ones I like never win. Go figure...

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Why does everything have to come down to competition? Is something not valid unless you can win prizes doing it?

I don't want to see poi-ing becoming competitive because I feel that would slow down progress because people would become more secretive about moves, less likely to want to teach moves to others, less friendly.

There are loads of pro fire spinners out there now. Do they have medals/rosettes for best in breed?

Please, please, please lets not go there.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: d-locco

but with a prize such as an opertunity to take it up as a profession

You mean like pop idol? *shudders*

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Written by: OneFinalStep

Some of us do perform for a living but still don't see why, in order to be clased as a "professional", there has to be some sort of competitive scene.

i totally disagree

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Professional doesn't mean competition. It means getting paid.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
i know a few of the main performance groups in the uk and there is zero competetion between them

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i like what skully said.

having said that, i think there is already competition and its influences present in the scene - whetther between hobbyists or between semi-pros/pros.

its friendly supportive competition but its there nonetheless.

with hobby spinners it seems to be directed very positively towards learning new things and improving your style and this is evident at spinner meets - sharing usually begins with spinners showing each other what they've learnt since they last met.

with performance groups it seems competition manifests itself in the form of an incentive to improve on your last performance and to generally 'raise the game' across the board.

imho these are both good things - not necessarily an example of outright competition but instead embracing the positive aspects of it to keep the art moving forward and continually evolving it.

will, i think you are confusing renegade shows with battles mate - they are defintiely not the same thing (in fact they're not even similar apart from all the cheering!).

i think a battle is the embodiment of friendly, positive competition smile

the battle unfortunately didn't happen at play.

but it will happen again one day soon i'm sure...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i've only ever been to one poi competition. i really really enjoyed it.

durbs hated it, but that's only cos he won tongue wink

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
ah ha yes, i got confused, i meant poi battles smile

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I would really hate to see poi spinning become competitive. From the amount of people who have posted saying poi has given them something to be good at and more self-esteem etc then I would say that this is the general concesous for poi spinning. The minute it becomes competitive, the minute snobbery and arrogancy develops, in a 'he's not very good' kind of way. This would exclude so many (me included) who don't want to be part of that scene. It would go against everything poi spinning is about for so many people.

As said before there are so many spinners who are excellent but stick to simpler, flowy moves by choice compared to those who just stay still and do ubertechy, which is judged better? And who judges it anyway?!

Competitiveness would really ruin it for me.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.â€

Ralph Waldo Emerson

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
yep, me too...the supportive teaching atmosphere that surrounds poi is what i really enjoy about it, and lets me relax better than anything else i know. yes, everyone wants to better themselves and 'raise the game' as its been described..but when i see someone who has just learnt 3bt weave and is wondering where they can go next, i can't wait to jump in and say 'look look you can do this and this and this!'...and i like it when people do that to me too. it isnt competition that motivates me to get better, its the desire to be respected for being good at something i really like by other people who are good at something i really like. i dont know if that makes sense.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
How about Poi Idol, someone could beat simon cowell with sticks and poi. ubblol

however I have a competitive side. And the amazing thing is I use it to better myself. I don't go "look I'm better" I'm more likely to go to a mate and say "Look what so and so showed me" and pass on the knowledge.
I like to compete with myself (then I always win biggrin) Thats why I don't try to learn 5 ball juggling.... I have no urge to compete on a numerical level.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mynci

however I have a competitive side. And the amazing thing is I use it to better myself. I don't go "look I'm better" I'm more likely to go to a mate and say "Look what so and so showed me" and pass on the knowledge.

thats what i was trying to say. only you make more sense. well done.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
thats the first time anyone ever said THAT to me....*puts hand on loz's forehead* you ill my dear

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FlashburnSILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
again thanks for all ya comments it seems that there is already a growing competative scene at the moment maybe not as far as tournaments (yet, maybe there are as aimee said of) but still fire meets to me r just a step before judged on what i have seen and experienced.

some say that for them tournaments would ruin the form of expression they have with spinnin and maybe judgeing such events would be hard (but still possible they have cheerleader tournaments) would the chance to compete for a goal really change the friendly characteristics of the art though

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
yes

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Skully...surely thats the same as saying you cannot play any sport with a competitive forum for fun and enjoyment. I can kick a rugby ball back and forth with my mate and its fun. biggrin

There are art competitions it doesn't distract from the fact that people do art for other reasons, and they are not seen as competitive. shrug

Frisbee was the original architypal (sp) non-competitive sport designed to promoted team work and that developed competition, doesn't stop people enjoying it for it's original reasons.
Competition, whilst not ALWAYS good is a way for an activity to grow.

I'd like to know your reasons why competition would spoil poi? confused