Forums > Social Discussion > Drosnin, the Bible and a whale...

Login/Join to Participate

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I stumbled across this this morning and I just wondered if anyone had read the Bible code, and what you thought of these 'findings ad predictions'? Do you believe that there is any truth to them, or do you believe that if you look hard enough, you can find patterns in any aspect of life and nature?

Oh, and apparently, Moby Dick has foretold of many assasinations

umm

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I think i saw something like that on john saffram vs god. he found something predicting that he'd win the lottery or something from song lyrics...

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Well, if you look hard enough you can definetly find patterns! That said, it doesn't mean there isn't something to a pattern you find. If we could read all the patterns, we'd be omniscient tho!
p
Of course, that said, you can read patterns incorrectly too smile

(Take an "intelligence" test to find that much out smile)

Sorry I'm not able to comment on the specific instance, I'm in the process of moving and I don't remember enough about them off hand! Do think its interesting tho.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Yup...all [censored].

But there will always be people ready to give their faith (and their money) to something that offers certainty when they can't find it else where. Look at religion in general. It's the same thing writ large. The bible code will come and go and so will Christianity. But they will be replaced by similar tosh which will die eventually itself.

Mabey one day we will grow out of it.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
hehehehe
Thats brilliant,, i might take every 3rd letter from Harry Potter and the half blood prince and see if i can predict anything. i could make millions!!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
a cool nerdy eccentric guy in Oz called John Saffran used the same bible code program to determine that Vanilla Ice predicted the 9/11 World Trade Centre attacks....

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dentrassi

a cool nerdy eccentric guy in Oz called John Saffran used the same bible code program to determine that Vanilla Ice predicted the 9/11 World Trade Centre attacks....

Ah, good. The world makes sense again. ubblol

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep - skip codes over a large amount of text like that will always produce something that looks like it has meaning.

doesn't mean that it does though, as moby dick quite clearly shows smile

this page explains all...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
actually have the book on order from ottakars at the mo,should be here within aboot 10 days,will let you know my full opinion then,but i do think that if you look for it hard enough there will be a pattern in anything a human being has created,past or present,its the brains way of constantly stretching itself to look for such patterns, but some people really do have too much time on their hands....
.....says the girl who ordered the book!!! ubblol

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
the human mind is designed to spot patterns

and a few words is hardly surprising

if it was 3 or 4 words all linked by the same pattern with the same step then it would be more beleiveable

but with 150,000 characters to choose from its not hard to choose a step that will give you words tongue

back

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
My car rego is IMN 490. Imagine, of all the billions of regos in the world, I got lucky with that one, isn't it amazing?

The most stupidly mundane thing can become a thing of meaning if enough people can be convinced.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
The Bible Code is rubbish. The same program finds patterns in any large text... it has been replicated using large tomes like Moby Dick, the Oddyssey, etc. Nothing special about it...

In addition, there are many claims about the Koran and numerical coincidences that are just as interesting, but I feel, just as much rubbish. I don't remember what they all are... how many times certain words are used, lengths of passages, etc. Might be because Arabic is meant to be a very rythmic language, almost like a chant which results in the kinds of patterns they find in it... havn't really done too much research in it.

Stupidly mundane... rather accurate.