• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

87wt2gxq7

87wt2gxq7

veteran

Total posts: 1502
Posted:I've been taking my poi for walkies in the manner that stout suggests halfway down this page and apart from split time and straight planes being extremely difficult to maintain, I'm having a problem turning corners.

You can change the direction of your planes slowly (ie imagine you're facing north spinning split time circles in the side planes. Now slowly turn so you end up facing east, keeping your circles by your sides) but this takes a fair number of beats, and I have a lot of corners to navigate on my poi-walking route.

Can anyone tell me of a way to rotate the direction of your planes by a right angle, going from, say, facing north spinning in the side planes to facing east spinning in side planes in a few beats?

I thought this was possible with a (6-beat? 3-beat? I'm not quite sure how to count 'em up) vanilla hyperloop, but now I think there's a physics reson why turning 90 degrees using a hyperloop is impossible, for the likes of me anyway.

In fact I think this reason makes all 90 degree turns of your planes impossible unless you're very cunning, but I'll not go into the physics unless anyone asks as it tends to scare the children. Besides I want to hear peoples' suggestions first before spouting off my probably ill-thought-out theories wink

So. Any thoughts on this?

Delete Topic

daisylou
BRONZE Member since May 2005

daisylou

la di da di da

Total posts: 147
Posted:hi jonathan smile i dont understand poi move names so dont have a clue what ur post is about but its been ages smile also this friday if u fancy im tryin to gather a few of my mates up here to spin/juggle/bbq on the local beach if you and anyone else at PM wants to join us. (n.wales that is) smile

hope ur good man
bounce

just a crazee daisy living in a crazy world

Delete

UCOF
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted:Im going to call you Jonathan from now on. Helpfully, it is also my name, and I have such difficulty in pronouncing 87wt2qxq7.

unfortunatly, I cant help you much with an answer to your question... umm sorry.

Delete

Durbs
BRONZE Member since Sep 2001

Durbs

Classically British

Total posts: 5688
Posted:Well, a nice bit of plane control is you turn your body 90 degrees but the poi stay in the same plane...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

87wt2gxq7

87wt2gxq7

veteran

Posted:Written by: daisylou

hi jonathan smile i dont understand poi move names so dont have a clue what ur post is about but its been ages smile also this friday if u fancy im tryin to gather a few of my mates up here to spin/juggle/bbq on the local beach if you and anyone else at PM wants to join us. (n.wales that is) smile

hope ur good man
bounce

Hi Daisy! I indeed am good. I might if there's a lift available from Brum, but I also wanted to make the Nuneaton meet. Hmm... how much is it on the train and do you have a plan for Saturday?

Written by: University Can Offer Future

Im going to call you Jonathan from now on. Helpfully, it is also my name, and I have such difficulty in pronouncing 87wt2qxq7.

ubblol Hi there biggrin I don't often meet other Jonathans. Do you prefer that or Jon? The intended pronounciation of 87wt2gxq7 is "control V", for obscure and convoluted reasons

Written by: Durbs

Well, a nice bit of plane control is you turn your body 90 degrees but the poi stay in the same plane...

Yeah, that's useful as well, tried that a bit just now. But I want to play the side plane game for now...

Delete

Julie2022

Julie2022

Total posts: 145
Posted:I think I know what you're trying to do.

Ok - so you're spinning them just a regular swing, forward. Let's say - and you come to your corner and you want to take a right, eh?

At the corner turn a 1/4 right turn- When you're coming down from the top then chase your poi out to the left. Then, at the top of the swing 1/4 right turn and then bring them back to your sides, still swinging (your left poi will feel a little funny because you're not doing a complete chase with it. You might have to long-arm the right poi behind you to force it into the new path - your left poi shouldn't be a problem.)

If you're taking a left - do the opposite - 1/4 turn left, chase to the right, 1/4 turn left, at the top of the chase you bring them down to the sides, long arm the left poi.

How many beats? I'd say it's one beat for the chase and one beat for the long-arm if you have to do it. So, a two beat turn?

Now - figure that out without hitting yourself and you should be able to get the hang of it doing a weave or such.

The problem is that the momentum of the poi keeps them on the same path - you have to redirect the momentum smoothly in order to make it change direcitons. If you try to redirect it too abruptly then that's when your poi hit you in the face smile

Anyway - I hope that helps. Really, I hope I understood what you were trying to do.

*edit* - this is for a 90deg turn, btw - not a 180, I hope that it didn't confuse you further smile

EDITED_BY: Julie2022 (1125843137)

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

Delete

Stout
SILVER Member since May 2004

Stout

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1872
Posted:I'm glad you liked the idea. it was actually suggested to me by Meenick a couple of years ago and I feel it helped quite a bit. I use the corkscrew as a transition when I want to make a 90 degree turn, but I pull a 450 degree turn instead.

This transition is the only time I actually bend my planes ( well, except for some buzzsaw stuff) and tossing in the extra degrees really helps keep the whole thing smoother. I've never had much luck walking while spinning planes at my sides as Durbs suggests, I can do it, but i find myself concentrating more on the length of my stride, (and not hitting my legs), than on timing.

Delete

[Nx?]
BRONZE Member since Nov 2001

[Nx?]

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3749
Posted:pretty easy actually, poipoipoi put up a thread about this the winter before last.

i dont search, but dont let that stop you.

basically, when the poi gets to the point where it intersects the circle of the plane you want to go to, you move the centre of spin (in this case your hand, but its easier isolated, but enough of that for now) to the centre of the new circle.

so, for example, forward spinning at your right side to spininng wall plane infront of you, when the poi is poiting directly forwards you bring your hand to the centre of the wallplane circle in one swift movement. its a bit of a yank, but the plane flips cleanly to the new position.

as you progress further into poi you start to come across many diffrent types and uses for plane swiching, the first of which is probibly trinity (search) which moves the planes less than 90 degrees. then you start to get into atomics, and then the headaches begin.

the real elusive bugger is the 180 plane swich, which newbies seem to be able to do without effort and us old timers are left scatching out heads, thats when you go from one direction to the other, in the same plane, without stalling or stopping the poi.

I think its a two 90 degree plane carry in one beat. but dont quote me....

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Delete

[Nx?]

[Nx?]

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:ok, link here http://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbthreads/show...rev=#Post173889
br>
have fun.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

Delete

UCOF
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted:"the real elusive bugger is the 180 plane swich, which newbies seem to be able to do without effort and us old timers are left scatching out heads, thats when you go from one direction to the other, in the same plane, without stalling or stopping the poi."

confused

Do you mean high and low turns? umm

Delete

Julie2022

Julie2022

Posted:lol! funny you say that, I bumped into a way to do that while playing around with the 90deg turn this morning smile

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

Delete

[Nx?]

[Nx?]

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:no, ucof, i mean without turning your body either.

julie, description? vid??

T wave

-><- Kallisti

Delete

Julie2022

Julie2022

Posted:Ah - without turning your body, nope - haven't yet smile I can reverse direction coming out of a giant butterfly, but that does switch planes.

*edit* I just tried and idea - this depends on exactly how tightly you define switching planes...

Ok, explaining a bit of the motion - do you stretch your arms out behind your back ever? Like when your shoulders are stiff from typing too much, but keeping your elbows bent...That's the idea to keep in your head...(I could try to make a short digi film and e-mail this to you if your mind swims)

ok, swing your poi in a forward swing - when the poi come down in the front, stretch your arms out to the side, keeping your elbows bent, making a teardrop shape with your hands. The poi make a loop beside/behind you. Rotate your hands slightly into the reverse swing position, then bring them up from the bottom of the tearshape - you're in reverse.

a bit more explanation - The teardrop is laying sideways - the tip of the tear is in the front, where you start swinging your poi forward and where you bring your poi to when you're done. When you go into the wide part of the tear - do the top first, then bring your hands around to the bottom, then back to the tip.

It's like a big scooping motion.

They leave the plane a bit to go behind/beside you - but not enough to call it a btb move.

I'm able to do it - it's a bit rough, though - but it gets the job done.

Is that something more like what you're digging for?

EDITED_BY: Julie2022 (1125957154)

"I'm your Huckleberry."

Delete

TheWibbler
GOLD Member since Apr 2003

old hand

Total posts: 920
Posted:Yep, i wouldn't say it was easy as such but what you need to learn is how to control 'Box Planes'

here's an image which should help explain it

http://www.spherculism.com/help/90_plane_changes.gif
br>
At the point where the 2 planes meet you have to move your hand very quickly from the center of 1 circle to the center of the other.

You can then take any pattern you already do, eg 3 beat weave, butterfly, etc and apply thr Box planes to it. The result would be eg 3 beat Box Weave, Box Butterfly and so on.

Enjoy,

matt

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Delete

Stout
SILVER Member since May 2004

Stout

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1872
Posted:For some reason, I find working in the box planes format really difficult when simply spinning split time in the wheel plane. No problems with a weave, I can bend these easily. but I'll wander over to spherculism later on in search of guidance. More likely its a put the time into figuring it out myself issue.

I usually do the " taking the poi for a walk " method when I feel my timing is starting to slip ( which is more often than I care to admit ) but I only use it with split time spinning or flowers because with these two patterns I can at least think about what I'm doing. I find myself a little confused when walking with the weave, especially if I start to think about my timing, however sometimes it just seems to feel "right" ,,,in an ignorance is bliss kinda way. smile

Speaking of bending planes, I had a great time playing with the trinity concept last night. It's an idea I'd abandoned in favour of spinning is a strictly proscenium style but after seeing it on a video I just downloaded I figured it's time to think a little more in the round with planes other than the horizontal.

Delete

TheWibbler
GOLD Member since Apr 2003

old hand

Total posts: 920
Posted:I'd been meaning to write up about box planes for ages,

So after writing that last post i went home and wrote a nice little intro to plane changes on spherc, checked in the morning and it had vanished, or most likely i didn't submit it somehow, doh.

I'll do it again soon.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Delete

Rev
BRONZE Member since Mar 2003

Rev

Bastard Newbie Messiah

Total posts: 1269
Posted:maybe it got lost in the server move..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Delete

87wt2gxq7

87wt2gxq7

veteran

Posted:I can't do any of these yet smile

More practice. Always more practice.

Delete