Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Beginner (as in..started today)..need some help with basics

Login/Join to Participate

Blindsilencenewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Alright, first off hello everybody, this is an awesome site...

And now, I am 16, and have been watching alot of these videos, and was previously into glowstick dancing..but this caught my eye, so I got a broom hand (just so happens to be the perfect length for the long staff)

Anyway, I was looking at the lessons..and I have been practicing the basic technique of the spinning 360 degress with both hands (in the lessons, step 2 I believe)...so then I went onto step 3, and I am having problems, I can't figure out how to spin the staff (sounds much better than broomstick) with one hand, I can do it so it rolls over the back of my hand, spins all the way, and I can grab it again, but, i have to jerk my hand, and doing it like this really makes it look choppy, doesnt flow at all..

So does anyone have any tips on how to spin with one hand but keep it fluent?

Thanks in advance

Blindsilencenewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Ok maybe I should make this more clear, dunno if anyone could understand it but,

I need to know the technique for one handed spinning..because I can't do it..

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Figure-8's (basic one handed staff spinning) will just become smoother the more you do it...

It's easier (and looks nicer, and helps with planes...) if you hold your arm out to the side and spin the fig-8's parallel to your body as opposed to having your arm in front of you.

Remember to keep loose - don't really grip the staff, just hold it, roll the wrist (remember to warm up first!) and start slowly, ironing out any bumps as you go.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Blindsilencenewbie
4 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure I know what you mean, I know what a figure 8 is, but I have trouble just getting a 360 degree spin around my hand, I'm not sure of how to move my hand so it spins fast and smoothly

I saw this video of someone in their backyard with a staff, and he is able to spin it for a long time and really fast with one hand, how do you move your hand to do that?

The name of it was dragon something..

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Was the one handed thing going in a figure of 8 on the left and right hand side of the body?

If so, thats called a fishtail, which is a rather tricky contact move. I suggest learning the basics first before moving onto this..

If not, what you are talking about sounds like a hand/wrist roll. Holding the staff off centre (i.e at the end of the grip) helps to give more rotation.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Hmm. I'm not quite sure which move you're seeing. Step 3 in the staff lessons is a two handed spin passed behind the back.

The one handed spin you want to be learning at this early stage is a figure 8 on the side of the body, which is in those lessons, where the staff doesn't roll over your hand, you roll your wrist to scoop with the leading end of the staff in front of you then behind you.

You can spin a staff just in front of you with one hand, where you spin it, let it go and catch again, very fast, but you'll need to get proficient with the basic skills to work up to that. Work through the free lessons here for a while till you're smooth and quick. (Or if it is a fishtail you're looking at, eek that'll take quite a bit more time.)

But it's really quite amazing how soon you'll be flowing naturally if you do it all the time.
linda

Blindsilencenewbie
4 posts

Posted:
In the 3rd step, just before she goes back behind her back, she spins the staff in one hand, thats what I was talking about

I have just been practicing and I can get pretty smooth, kinda fast, not really, but when I go to fast I usually end up with the staff going flying

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
That's cos you need to practise it slow for ages.

Like a couple of weeks.

At least.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
"when I go too fast I usually end up with the staff going flying"

yup. me too.

mcp too. i've seen her chuck her stick miles away tongue

the trick is, don't spin it too fast. Just very very very slightly slower than that smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

wingmember
52 posts

Posted:
OK. That's just a two hand rotor. I don't think she's rolling it over her whole hand, she's passing from one to the other. The thing with that is as you get better you'll naturally start adding more rotations between passing from hand to hand.... such as, you may start with turning the staff only 180 degrees in one hand before you pass it to the other hand, but as you get faster you'll find yourself letting it spin further.... I think I do one and a half rotations in each hand now (360 degree turn plus 180 degree), as I can let go more of the staff. Your hands get looser over time to where you're not so much holding the staff as directing it, allowing for more rotations. Don't worry so much about it now, just keep spinning and it'll come.