Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The key to Isolations! (I think)

Login/Join to Participate

Stick ManBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
I had been trying isolations for a couple days but getting nowhere. Then I woke up this morning and for some completely random and unknown reason I decided to try spinning a bath towel. It took me a minute to get the rhythm. But as soon as got my rhythm I realized what I was doing. It was an isolation! To keep the towel open when you spin it, you need to make big loops with your arms. And in doing so the center of the towel becomes the pivot point, just like the center of the chain should be in an isolation with poi. So I Practiced with the towel for a few hours and then grabbed my poi. My isolations have gotten SO much better. I can still only do 1 at a time but I am getting more in a row without losing it and they are smoother. So maybe its just coincidence but spinning towels and isolations with poi feel a lot alike.

Tell me what you think. If you are learning isolations try spinning bath towels and see if it helps any. And if you are already a crazy, poi isolating, Jedi tell me if this is a good idea or if I am leading people astray with this idea.

Oh yeah, to spin a towel, grab a corner and start swinging your arm in circles. As you spin it on one side of your body it will begin to become wound up so you need to keep switching sides. wink

I ain't been around the world, but I've been around the block. I ain't seen everything, but I've seen enough to talk. I'm not a prophet, I'm not the 2nd comming of christ. I'm just a mason with a will to build and a little advice.

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
I just learnt isolations from other people or watch the video here

I used my homemade sock poi and they worked better because juggling balls on the end were 'weightier', so it was easier to start isolations and keep them going. Same situation with you though, can only do two of them in same directions in the body plane or individually if I'm swinging forwards/backwards.

It's better to burn out than to fade away

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Awoot - that's awesome looking smile

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Also damn annoying to get a hang of and do well, even though it looks so simple and technically is relatively simple.

It's better to burn out than to fade away

Stick ManBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
I wish I got my eyes on that iso clip earlier. It makes it so much easier to learn with a basic visual like that. I’m getting clean 4 beat buzsaw isolations now. Thanks again. Towels are still fun wink

I ain't been around the world, but I've been around the block. I ain't seen everything, but I've seen enough to talk. I'm not a prophet, I'm not the 2nd comming of christ. I'm just a mason with a will to build and a little advice.

SalciliaBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
I've begun to learn iso's by doing a regular lockout from a 3bt weave, getting the poi closer and closer, then finally spinning them around each other kind of thingy... It's the way I do them easiest smile

There appears a flight of dragons without heads. Good fortune.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: Salcilia

I've begun to learn iso's by doing a regular lockout from a 3bt weave, getting the poi closer and closer, then finally spinning them around each other kind of thingy... It's the way I do them easiest smile

That's how I learnt as well, once you can do that you can bring them between your arms and keep it going continually...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

tobblenewbie
8 posts

Posted:
I've been the universe over - with my towel!! Isolations are my huggest problem - after sex before marrige!

From the natrual windmill I can do about 3 beats - thereafter my left hand does its bit - its practice so I'm told.