Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Last night I went to a place called Ottery St. Mary in Devon, which is the birthplace of Coleridge as it goes. Anyway, once a year this quaint little place goes absolutely nuts and fills with thousands of people all desperately trying to get out of the way of huge men running through the streets with massive flaming barrels!!

Non-Https Image Link

It's supposed to be some kind of Pagan ritual and the flames rid the town of evil, but I had to share this with you all becuase it really is one of the most mental nights out I've had in a long time. Highly recommend it to anyone.

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

enlliwmember
16 posts

Posted:
TOTALLY CRAZY, one of the best nights out I have ever had. Really didn't think it would be like that, i thought there would be safety barriers up, but NO full on running into the crowd with a flamming barrel on your back. I do have to say here much respect to the guys doing it, cause they kept as safe as possible for the crowd without taking away the atmosphere.. BIG UP!!!!!!

if you do not suceed try try again

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I had to miss it this year as I had a job interview the next day , but I went last year. So much fun!

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

HavocHavoc
168 posts

Posted:
WTF! wow that looks very very cool!

What do they burn?? how does the fuel stay in the barrel? I is very confused! could be lack of sleep, but that does look like a mad one!

Havoc

you have to let it all go... Fear, doubt and disbelief... Free your mind!

Times like these people wanna get High...
Real High and Real Fast...
This is gonna do it!!

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
The barrels are emptied inside and are coated with tar, so that the flames burn high out of the open side of the barrel and paraffin is used to get it going.

Very insane stuff, visit www.tarbarrels.co.uk for more info...

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
That looks completely insane, but so much fun

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.