Forums > Other Toys > Meteor moves compilation

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
All the good meteor info is spread out across this board like a huge, grasping octopus, so here's a wee attempt to bring (what I see as) the best bits together.

For the uninitiated, a Meteor is two heads/wicks attatched by one long (usually 1-2.5m) length of rope/chain. Like what your poi would look like if you attatched the handles together with a shoelace.

Basic poi moves are very simple to transfer across onto a meteor (weaves, butterflys, corkscrews, windmills and the like.) So this will only really focus on staff-style moves, throws, and contact. And anything else I find that I deem of interest.

Advice for a staff-style spin infront of the body - Rotor/Pinwheel

If you're finding it tricky to get going...

Making it longer. I started off with a 1.1m chain connecting my wicks and it was way hard. Increased chain to 2m and momentum was a lot easier to achieve.

Add weight to the ends While I don't need to now, phew, while starting up I found it alot easier to add the wicks from my poi to the chain, just below my original wicks. This doubled the weight and again made momentum a lot easier to maintain.

Start from weave If you can already do a poi-like weave, get this going and then when it is on your left-hand side, let go with your right hand (or vica verca) and the meteor will spring out into a clean rotation which you can keep spinning. I found this a lot easier than just trying to spin it from dead.

If you are using a chain bind the middle I was just using a regular chain and I found it was hard to keep hold of - every now and again it would slip and just lace off towards my friends in a scary manner. I've now bound the middle 30cm of the chain with string, using electrical tape every 7cm or so to keep it taught. It's still pretty flexible, but its easier to hold, and makes it easier to stop the wicks catching up with each other.

Written by: onewheeldave

My advice to beginners is to leave the rotor till you've got other, easier moves and combinations, then approach it from those, rather than attempting it on its own.

To elaborate on that: -

Start with your poi moves (this approach does assume a good grounding in poi), weaves, turns etc- you need to get used to the restriction of having your hands close together.

Then learn how to slot in an occasional single turn of a rotor by releasing a hand from the weave, doing the rotor turn, then going straight back into weave.

When you're happy with this, do two turns of the rotor etc- building up from there.

I found complex looking moves like alternate behind the back passes to be way easier than sustained rotor; going into a weave stabilises the meteors and passing behind back actually has a splaying out effect, making them attain the 180 degrees straight line position.

Harder moves than weaves combinations and BTB passses are anything that involves one hand figure eights (expect to take some hits to the back of the head when learning these), and then the rotor is harder than those.

Of course, that's just my experience, maybe others can benefit from a different approach, but, for me, meteors came together when I approached them from a poi perspective.

Once you have that sorted, it won't be hard for you to do the same thing above your head (helicopter perhaps?) You can try getting a few spins of it going behind your back too.

And then, once you have those down, you can try them both one handed - warning, may be trickier.

Written by: ataxia

Sort of like a back of the hand roll when using staff.

Seems like a simple idea, but it's much more difficult first thought. Personally, and from the very few times i've seen others do this, it's travelling in reverse. I'm not sure if forward is possible.

Personally I can only do it continuously forwards, and with my left (weaker) hand. Special needs moi.

***edit***

Just thought, btb weave is obviously a little different than it is with poi. I can only do (thinks...) reverse, so if anyone knows how to do it forward, pray tell. pretty much go into it as you would go into a BTB pass, but you may want your passing hand to be quite a bit closer to the wick than it would be otherwise. This gives you lots of room to grab with your other hand and roll straight into the BTB weave. To come out, I let go with the hand I had to 'catch' with, let it spring back into a rotor at the side and try to keep that flowing. But I guess you could do the same with either hand.

And remember, if you want to catch it properly, you're going to have to keep it slow, at least to begin with.

This presumes you are already competent at BTB weave with poi, if you aren't, someone somewhere else can help you out, I'm not your guy.

***/edit***

Lets have some throws

Written by: originalsmit

from butterfly

i.e upwards butterfly to release, if you try this you will notice that the meteors seem to 'ping' , by that i mean that the heads swap sides and back . just throw and youll see what i mean

timing the correct amount of 'pings' is what helps your throws from this move, obvoiusly the higher the throw, the more 'pins you get.

from corkscrew

do a corkscrew as per poi. upon reaching the point where you would bring your hands back above your head hold your hands together so that the heads spiral inwards wrapping around each other, let them wrap up and half unwrap at which point you throw them vertically , the chains will magically untangle in mid air and come down as a practically straight peice of chain, nice and easy to catch in butterfly.

if your parcticing at night with fire, get a couple of those tiny tiny glowsticks and put one in the middle of the chain it'll help you see where you have to catch to get your butterfly going.

From helicopter

Written by: elasta

try spinning it horizontally above your head, give it a little bounce up and down to get momentum and then throw it vertically up in the air. There is a shot of a couple of guys from vienna doing this on Zebaztian's video: infenfire

Personally I have no idea how to catch that, i just bust my face appart, but I'm sure some of you have tha skills for it.

Probably time for some evil Contact stuff.

Written by: elasta

neck roll - fairly obvious - bring the meteor down from an over head spin, spin it behind your neck, letting the 'non-contact' side off centre swing behind first.

:yawn:

OK, ok, its gonna get interesting now:

The Steve - this is not done in quite the same way as the staff move, because the meteor cannot maintain tension in that way. But if you take the meteor from an overhead CW spin, with you left hand, and let it wind itself down your arm, it will get to your shoulder, and by turning and pushing the meteor with your neck, you can do the neck roll and force it back up your right arm.

Never heard a name for this next one, so for now, its theStrangle

Try it, really, its suprisingly easy to get,

Written by: BrassMonkey

Ya know how if you do a butterfly with poi, you can put it behind your head and back? Well, this creates many possibilities with meteors. For this trick, you start with a one-handed butterfly.

As the ends are travelling upwards, bend forward and stick your neck in, where your hand is, at the same time taking your hand away. This seems scary, and people cringe when they see me do it, but your neck is in the centre, as far away from the hurty bits as it can be, so don´t worry.

If your butterfly is good, then the meteor will wrap nicely around your neck and keep butterfly-ing. At this point, you are still bending forwards. After the ends have crossed over and start moving downwards, just lean back, so your neck, and the meteor, are behind the rest of your body. It´s exactly the same as if you were holding the meteor and putting it behind your head. But then something magical happens.

When the meteor were in front, they were wrapping. Now that they are behind you, they will unwrap. When they´ve unwrapped completey, they will fly upwards. With practice, you can catch them into a normal butterly, or even pass them to someone else. I love this trick, it always gets a smile.

Written by: musashii

Start from a clockwise pinwheel in front of you, wall plane. Take one end and wrap over the back of your neck and your right shoulder. Perform a thru wrap on the end that is wrapped around your neck/shoulder, and continue turning your body to the right so that you're facing backwards to exit. What _is_ this move called?? I dub it the twatis

What sounds like a meteor halo apparently.

Written by: BrassMonkey

I start with my body side-on to the meteor holding one end of the meteor, so it wraps around just one shoulder. When it starts to wrap, I throw the other end down to give it some momentum, and then turn my body around so that it rolls, staff-like, over my shoulder, then my neck, then my other shoulder. It´s great when it works.

I can't really find or think of much else. Maybe that if you want to pass it over the back of your neck, or under your leg like you do with a staff, you'll still need to roll it over the back of your passing hand before you do, which is pretty tricky to maintain tension throughout, but it can be done.

If you haven't got a clue what any of this is on about, or you just want to watch some people who know what they're up too, you'll want to be checking these guys out.

Cirque De Solei - some crazy kids, unbelievably slick. Wow.

OneWheelDave Dave Panther with some lovely firemeteoring.

Anyone seen any decent contact vids about?

Well, hope that helps someone out, I guess its time to go outside and learn some of that contact stuff myself. Have fun and loves,

Twirly

EDITED_BY: Twirly (1126120950)

Midget_with_a_stickmember
31 posts

Posted:
My plan was to buy so fire rope from firetoys.com, probaly the 17mm thick stuff and then tie monkey fist knots in each end with a heat resistant handle in the middle. Is there a better way of making one???

juggle

Whats the worst thing i could say?

For all the wounds that are never gonna scar me

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: Twirly

For whoever wanted to turn the 1handed butterfly through 180degs. - i've found its pretty easy, but for some reason I have to turn my wrist 180 aswell, so my little finger is on top. Feels a little funny but if you keep the 'shakin hands' movement going it works really smoothly. Can't twist into another 180 from there without changin hands however.

You can also without twisting your wrist turn 180 for 1 beat, then turn back the way you came and commence. If that kind of thing turns you on.

Twirly xxx

yes. this is the trick. there is no such thing as a reverse one handed butterfly, so there is also no such thing as a reverse meteor butterfly. it's just a forward crossed (or inverted) butterfly on the other side, which is why inverting your hand makes it work. doing it by crossing the strings instead of your wrist is like a butterfly tangle, which is why it's harder to keep going. multiple beats are possible tho if you can do multiple bfly tangles with poi. ubbloco

5-beat weave is also way easier than 3 for me, but i think that's universal until you learn to keep the momentum up and release/catch rotor style.

i really want to talk to [nix] about these: i use a shortish (1m or less) double ended glowstring setup. what i actually do most of i consider isolated fishtail thruwrap throws. meaning you're releasing the meteor off your wrist offcenter so it rotates in the air, but catching it offcenter as well in the middle of a thruwrap turn so the shorter end wibbles (?) around and extends while the longer end does a wrap and becomes shorter during the turn. the new short end follows so that it's exactly in place to follow the longer, leading end back up into a rotation as it leaves the wrist after the turn. there's lots of other wrapping, btb/utl passing and such you can do between throws, especially if your "catching" and releasing offcenter with both wrists alternately. you can wrap and unwrap twice (or more) if you start farther away from center, or keep turning if you can keep alternating which end is leading.

pretty much everything i do with meteors is contacty tho with lots of thru- and beat- wrapping. i started doing straight butterfly contact thows and catch/turns before i learned that offcenter weave thruwrapping was easier. anyone have ideas for what else is in this family? [nix?]? confused personally if i wanted a fixed center, i'd be using a staff. do you really get to do that many wraps and such with a fixed center, or are you limited more to rotor moves and bound-wrist weaving?

yay for a thread where i can post both of these without being off topic! biggrin haha.

-- dut
EDITED_BY: Dut (1135725111)

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
"meaning you're releasing the meteor off your wrist offcenter so it rotates in the air, but catching it offcenter as well in the middle of a thruwrap turn so the shorter end wibbles (?) around and extends while the longer end does a wrap and becomes shorter during the turn. the new short end follows so that it's exactly in place to follow the longer, leading end back up into a rotation as it leaves the wrist after the turn. there's lots of other wrapping, btb/utl passing and such you can do between throws, especially if your "catching" and releasing offcenter with both wrists alternately. you can wrap and unwrap twice (or more) if you start farther away from center, or keep turning if you can keep alternating which end is leading."

I'm finding this damned hard to visualise tbh so would love to see a video if possible :-)

Friendly Firestranger
15 posts

Posted:
You should check out Friendly Fires newest creation.
Fibre Optic Meteor Poi.
https://www.thefriendlyfirestore.com/LED-Poi.html

*The Friendly Fire Store*

Page: