Page: ...
Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Legalize Cannabis Yes/No

I'm only starting a new thread on this because I wanted to put a poll into it to get a judge of opinion there are a few topics relating to cannabis (go search)

To start of I would like to ask the question should it be Legalized. And your opinions on why or why not.

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

pablitomember
6 posts

Posted:
ubbideai think it should be banned. i smoked every day for many years. and spent those years lying on the settee dreaming about what i was going to do but never getting around to doing anything. all i have to look forward to now is going mad. eek

pablito_tours can not be held responsible for any loss or damage to neurons.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
A statement from the UK police a couple of years back said that even they couldnt see that legalising weed would have any effect on the number of smokers as (and this is their words not mine) 'the market is already saturated - everyone who wants to smoke cannabis can and does already."

OWD - I'm not sure about the cigarette addiction comments. I started smoking cigarettes regularly when I was about 14 years old. I'm now 23. I have always smoked quite a lot but have never felt 'addicted' and unwilling to stop. I think that part of the problem is that people are mentally conditioned to think that stopping smoking is difficult. I have always stopped smoking when I cannot afford it and have never been bothered by this in any way. When I dont have fags (or baccy) I dont think about smoking. The thing that people need to be told is that they are in control. If they dont want to smoke its easy. Just dont smoke.

After reading that I probably sound like a closet addict. lol.

I tend to think of myself not so much as 'strong willed' but just as 'able to see that I am in control of my own choices'. Everyone can be.
Every time you light up you are making a choice. You dont HAVE to do it, you choose to. You might be influenced by a feeling that you want to smoke but, do you eat every time you feel a little peckish? Or punch every person that winds you up? I know that I get urges that I ignore all the time. I'm sure everyone else does too. Its just self control. Smoking is exactly the same.

I sound like a self help manual so I'm going to stop but I hope people get the idea. I also hope that if anyone wants to stop smoking and doesn't feel like they can then this might inspire them.

Oh and the successful businessman may not be as strong willed as you think. Most people that are successful in business 'in a big way' are simply slaves to the urge for riches. Addiction rears its head in many ways.
smile

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Seye

OWD - I'm not sure about the cigarette addiction comments. I started smoking cigarettes regularly when I was about 14 years old. I'm now 23. I have alwasmoked quite a lot but have never felt 'addicted' and unwilling to stop. I think that part of the problem is that people are mentally conditioned to think that stopping smoking is difficult. I have always stopped smoking when I cannot afford it and have never been bothered by this in any way. When I dont have fags (or baccy) I dont think about smoking. The thing that people need to be told is that they are in control. If they dont want to smoke its easy. Just dont smoke....................................................

Yeah, like i said before, I used to feel in control too... till I tried to stop.

You've always stopped smoking when you couldn't afford it? That's not surprising- if you can't afford the drug then you can't smoke it can you: It's hardly a good demostration of choice and control to cease using something that you don't have the option of using it in the first place smile

If you do manage to quit, 100% and fully; then do post back here and I'll be more inclined to take on board your ideas that smoking is a matter of pure choice.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Maybe we have to review what is a drug anyways and what is addiction... ?

If I can't keep my fingers off the keyboard typing this comment - is that considered "addiction"?

If so, should "thread-posting" be considered as a "drug"?

Should it be illegal?

To legalize the holy puff is one way - to prohibit tobacco, another.

Distributing legal mary with the comment on it: the content of this package is addictive and in the long end will ruin and even kill you is the third one..

I'm much with "onewheeldave".. when you have succeeded in quitting smoking for good (even though it might not be apparent for you anyways) then come again and tell others that YOU are "in control"... otherwise it's not "stopping" but "pausing"...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Well dude - I have money now and I havent smoked for a few days.

No particular reason, I just havent fancied a cigarette.

I do think that people use 'I'm addicted' as an excuse to carry on doing something that they actually dont want to stop. Smoking is the worst for this.

I'm also not sure whether stopping 100% should be the goal. You wouldnt say that I was addicted to alcohol for having a couple of pints every now and then. I'd be making a free choice to drink when I fancied it. The same stands for smoking as far as I can see. 'Evereything in moderation' is the key. If you dont smoke most days then you are not an addict. It means that you are in control and making the choice for yourself.

People have developed this complex about smoking now. You are either a smoker or you are not. No-one seems to draw the same distinction for any other drug. There is a much bigger grey area in between.

Addiction means not being able to stop doing something. An addict will get hold of their drug of choice through any means neccessary. I know people who smoke even when they cant afford to buy food. That has never been the case with me.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I've known many, many smokers who were addicted to nicotine (ie they smoked when it clearly was doing them harm, or, they made a decision to stop, and then couldn't).

Out of the hundreds of smokers I've known, only a very few seemed to be able to smoke in a controlled fashion, and, on closer investigation, it always turned out to be false, or, getting back to them a few years later, they would have progressed to usual state of smokers ie being addicted.

This isn't to say that controlled smoking (in the sense that one smokes like one eats apples- occasionally, when you feel like it and not to the extent that it harms you) is impossible, just that, from my experience, it's statistically unlikely that you fall into that category.

Personally, it's of no concern to me how you choose to view your relationship with nicotine; my concern in this thread is to share what is see as useful info to those who either- 1. are addicted to nicotine and wish to quit, or, 2. those who are currently non-smokers considering dabbling with the drug.

And to those people, I can say that, from my experience (as a smoking addict, and as someone who escaped the addiction), from all that I have seen in others attempting to escape this miserable addiction, and from the writings of Allen Carr, that-

one of the prime hindrances to quitting nicotine addiction, and a prime cause of failed quitting attempts, is the belief that one can smoke in a controlled fashion, that one can have an occasional cigarette.

Seye- I'm not going to argue with you about whether controlled smoking is possible, or whether you have achieved it or not; that would clearly be a waste of time.

What I'm pointing out is the simple fact, that striving for the possibility of being a person who can smoke an occasional cigarette, is perhaps the main cause of addicted smokers staying addicted.

Remember that most of us can enjoy an occasional drink; yet, an alcohol addict cannot.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

What I'm pointing out is the simple fact, that striving for the possibility of being a person who can smoke an occasional cigarette, is perhaps the main cause of addicted smokers staying addicted.

I think that is an extremely negative way of looking at it.

I do honestly believe that people are subconsciously mentally conditioned to believe that you are either a smoker or not. There is a grey are like any other drug.

I know quite a few people who dont smoke cigarettes during the week and only have a couple when they go out at weekends. I also know a few who have the occasional one that have been doing so for absolutely years. As I said before, if you dont do it all the time you are not an addict. Society views you as one anyway though. It is a problem of social conditioning. Exactly the same reason that many other drugs are viewed by the masses from an extremely odd viewpoint.

To be honest I'm getting really bored of being told that people can 'help me stop smoking'. I cant honestly see why you would need help? If people say that they want to stop but cant then they are lying. They just dont actually want to stop enough to do it. Anyone can decide to stop smoking. Telling people that they cant is half the problem. If you keep repeating it people will believe it and they will feel like its a mountain that they'll never climb.

Its exatly the same argument when it comes to eating healthily. Everyone could do it. Most people choose not to because its just less hassle.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
... hummmm

but I guess now we're far off the topic, aint we?

legalize it, don't you critisize it... hmmmmmmmmmmm

pro's and con's - I do believe it's a hippocracy to prohibit one substance and promote another, that is just as addicitive and (more or less) harmful...

Either one, OR the other - not getting off on profit and mind control, criminalizing a fair part of the population that is well "functioning" inside the system otherwise...

But every village needs it's fool to pick on - the very lucky ones have a few of 'em...

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Seye- I wasn't as clear in my last post as I should have been; for which I apologise.

Through most of the rest of the thread when referring to smokers I used the phrase 'long-term, regular, moderate/heavy users' frequently, and should have continued to do so.

These are the smokers whom I consider to fullfil the criteria of being 'addicts' (regardless of whether they themselves consider it to be so), and it is those smokers who, in the vast majority of cases, are incapeable of smoking an occasional cigarette.

If a. long-term, regular, moderate/heavy user, does manage to quit, there is no better way for them to ruin the attempt, than by having 'just one', and many, many quitting attempts have failed precisiely through doing this.

You may think that it is a negative way of looking at it- fine; personally I consider it a very positive way, here's why-

Over my many years of smoking, i would occasionally decide, like most of the smokers I've known before and since, to quit. In my last year of smoking, when I knew that the only reason I smoked was addiction, I 'quit' pretty much once a week.

It's fair to say I quit hundreds of times. And then, at last, I quit successfully- over five years ago, and i haven't smoked since.

The sole difference between those hundreds of failed attempts, and the one successful one; is that, with the former, on some level, I believed that I could smoke 'just one'. Just one cigarette, maybe to get me through a rough patch, maybe to be 'social', maybe because I was a bit drunk, maybe just to prove that it was possible.

It wasn't (possible), 'just one' invariably led to more and then back to 30-a-day.

On the final quit, the message had finally sunk into my thick skull, that 'just one'=back to 30-a-day.

Since that final quit, i've not smoked anything containing nicotine, and I say with 100% confidence, that that is the reason I succeeded, and that, if I had smoked a cigarette, I would have gone back to smoking, and probably be addicted to this day.

On a deeper level, and this is something I cannot convey to someone with your attitude to smoking, but which I see clearly to be true: one who was once a smoking addict, and has now become free of it, would not smoke a cigarette. For him/her, having become free, there could be no possible reason, or motivation, to smoke a cigarette.

----------------

You say it's easy to stop, a matter of pure choice.

Allen Carr, in his book 'The Easy Way to give up Smoking', in essence, says it's easy to quit, so long as you understand fully the delusions that led you to smoke in the first place, and the delusions that kept you smoking.

He says something very different to you- whereas you offer no help to the addicted, and indeed, put them down-

Written by: Seye

If people say that they want to stop but cant then they are lying

Carr, in contrast, tries to show them a practical way to overcome their addiction (and, by the thousands of testimonials he gets from grateful ex-smokers, he succeeds).

You pretty much deny the existence of nicotine addiction, and instead dismiss it as people lying. I'd point out to you that anually, worldwide, approximatly 4,000,000 people die as a direct result of smoking, many of them (in my eyes) addicts who desperately wanted to quit, but couldn't; and, in your eyes, simple liars who could have stopped all along, but chose not to.

So, expain to me why so many millions of human beings feel enslaved to nicotine, yet, when other things we can chose to take or leave are concerned, the problem doesn't seem to occur.

Why don't we have millions of people eating up to 120 apples a day and asking for 'apple patches' to help wean them off their habit?

My answer, is that the difference between apples and cigarettes, lies in the fact that one contains the highly addictive chemical nicotine, and the other doesn't.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
sexuality counts to be more harmful to kids than drugs?

umm confused

tony830Member
58 posts

Posted:
tests show THC isnt chemically addictive, however, people who smoke weed ona reguar basis form a habbit and routine of smoking, ive seen a regular smoker go 2 days without weed and all he does is sit arround and complain about not having weed.

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
It's called being 'psycologically' addictive.

Part of the reason it's hard to give up smoking. Physically and psycologically addictive smile

Are you up for it?
wink;)

SugarCoatedHellmember
33 posts

Posted:

You say it's easy to stop, a matter of pure choice.

You pretty much deny the existence of nicotine addiction, and instead dismiss it as people lying. I'd point out to you that anually, worldwide, approximatly 4,000,000 people die as a direct result of smoking, many of them (in my eyes) addicts who desperately wanted to quit, but couldn't; and, in your eyes, simple liars who could have stopped all along, but chose not to.

So, expain to me why so many millions of human beings feel enslaved to nicotine, yet, when other things we can chose to take or leave are concerned, the problem doesn't seem to occur.

Why don't we have millions of people eating up to 120 apples a day and asking for 'apple patches' to help wean them off their habit?

My answer, is that the difference between apples and cigarettes, lies in the fact that one contains the highly addictive chemical nicotine, and the other doesn't.

While you are right that nicotine is addictive, thats nothing I didn't know before I started smoking. Its not like its something unavoidable. And yes, you can stop purely by choice. and yes, it is all about will. You decide how your life goes, not the smoke companies, not anyone else. Its all you. If you can't quit, guess whos at fault.

About weed, yes it should be legal. This country is not full of children, people CAN decide for themselves, and should. just because that scares politicions and people doesn't mean they can or should stop it. Let people decide for themselves.

There are no witholding taxes on the wages of sin.
~ It ain't a sin to crack a few laws, just don't break them. ~
~ I lost my reputation young, and never missed it. ~
~ She's the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success, wrong by wrong. ~

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I think it should be legalised for two reason:

one - the illegal industry for that particualr plant would collapse which would be a good thing, the cost of selling it would decrease therefore there would no longer be specific groups of people making stashes of money off it by privately selling it on...

Two - if it becomes legalised it will lose its lustre to a lot of people...some people only take it for the thrill that they are doing something illegal, which in essence is not a good reason to smoke it at all...

In regards to normal smoking, I just started the Allen Carr's book that was mentioned earlier and though I am going to finish reading it cause i want to see if this will work at the moment he sounds just like self hype and hot air!

As I said I just started it so don't jump on me just yet, I am going to finish the book then see what i think.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: SugarCoatedHell

While you are right that nicotine is addictive, thats nothing I didn't know before I started smoking. Its not like its something unavoidable. And yes, you can stop purely by choice. and yes, it is all about will. You decide how your life goes, not the smoke companies, not anyone else. Its all you. If you can't quit, guess whos at fault.

Smoking targets the young- most heavily addicted long-term smokers started young.

Young people who've not personally experienced addiction and overcoming addiction themselves are in no position to 'know' the realities of smoking addiction or appreciate that, whatever they read,however intelligent they are, if they dabble/'experiment' with cigarettes they have a real chance of becoming hopelessly addicted.

Most smokers cannot 'choose' to quit- the fact that so many heavily addicted smokers wish to quit and attempt to quit (multiple times) should indictate that there is a problem with 'choice' there.

I couldn't quit through choice (or through willpower or other traditional methods)- I estimate my number of failed attempts to quit at around 99.

I succeeded when, through long experience and the insights in Allen Carrs book, I came to understand the smoking trap and the real reasons I was an addicted smoker.

Then I walked away from it easily.

As a successful ex-smoker, I believe that there are things I understand about smoking which smokers (ie who are still smoking) and non-smokers (ie who have never been addicted), can't.

I will never read a comment that claims that smokers can simply choose to quit and leave it without a response.

I believe that that viewpoint is erroneous, insulting to victims of cigarette addiction and extremely dangerous to potential future young victims of the smoking industry.

The part of your view I do wish to promote is-

"You decide how your life goes, not the smoke companies, not anyone else. "

However, not in quite the way you meant- you don't have that decision by starting to smoke in the belief that you can then quit whenever you feel like it- the millions of addicted smokers who hate smoking but still can't quit, indicates otherwise.

No, once you're a regular smoker, in most cases, your 'choice' is gone and will likely require extensive work to get into a position where you can quit (such as acquiring, reading, understanding and following Allen Carrs book 'The Easy Way to Give up Smoking'[).

The best way to retain your choice and keep it out of the hands of the tobacco industry, is to appreciate the truth and reality of smoking addiction and ensure that you don't fall into the trap of believing that you can 'experiment' with cigarettes.

From every group of young people who 'experiment' with nicotine, are culled the basis of the next generation of 40-120 a day addicts.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Woah... eek
deja vu!

wink

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Yeah wasn't there a thread about this allen carr book before???

It's true that cigarettes are a drug and are addictive and it is not as simple as saying I am going to quit now...trust me I have tried it...if it was that simple I definitely would not be smoking almost 13 years after I started!

I have tried all the methods on the market, the patches, the gum, the pills even substituting it with another vice....which only went to helping me get fat!

You can not simply say to a herion addict that it is simple to quit with will power, if you have ever seen a true drug addict og through withdrawal you will know it is not that simple...but yet day after day I get told by people who have no idea (non smokers) that all it takes is will power to quit, like it is as easy as switching off al ight....it's not that easy actually...

You can not compare if you have not been through it....if other methods worked for you then that is great but sometimes it is not that easy for everyone else.

SugarCoatedHellmember
33 posts

Posted:

I believe that that viewpoint is erroneous, insulting to victims of cigarette addiction and extremely dangerous to potential future young victims of the smoking industry.

I would definitly consider myself an addict, though I have stopped 3times now, only to find I didn't really want to, so I picked up where I left off. I don't think my veiwpoint is dangerous, people think for themselves, and if you havent notied, when people belive something, its ridiculously difficult to change it. So, I guess what I'm saying, is if someone already belived what I stated, they would only see it as reinforcement, and if they disagreed, I'm just wrong. And I do belive people can quit with will alone, as I've done it and many others have as well. Only to come away stronger.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I said it (the viewpoint that every smoker can quit simply by 'choosing') is dangerous to potential future young victims of the smoking industry.

I stand by that- even most middle-aged long term smoking addicts don't understand the nature of smoking addiction- how much less so can a child have an understanding of addiction, prior to making the choices that could lead them into it.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

SugarCoatedHellmember
33 posts

Posted:

I said it (the viewpoint that every smoker can quit simply by 'choosing') is dangerous to potential future young victims of the smoking industry.

I stand by that- even most middle-aged long term smoking addicts don't understand the nature of smoking addiction- how much less so can a child have an understanding of addiction, prior to making the choices that could lead them into it.

You seem to think people are dependant on others opinions. I certantly wasnt so niave when I was little, and neither were my peers. Information about smoking was shoved down our throats at school, by parents, blah blah blah. My opinion isn't dangerous, and Im offended you said so.

LUCKY CHARMS is dangerous, have you ever read the ingredience lable? cargenogyn (wish i could spell) after carcenogyn. red lake 40 or whatever, high fructose corn syrup. What about the fat kids adsdicted to food?? Their opinion that food isn't harmful is dangerous, if thats how you see it. There are more dangerous things than smoking, and while I agree people should know about the dangers, it shouldn't be criminalized untill other dangers we put ourselves in daily are recagnized. Your carpets dangerous too, by the way. offgassing deadly chemicals that will KILL YOU AND MAKE YOU SUFFER. Seriously though, my opinion is simply that. Mine.

TheGreatSaintGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
Does anyone realize the true history as to why Cannibis was made illegal in the first place:

Newspaper companies controlled the media in the 1900's. They owned a majority of long-term investments in the Lumber industry. They promoted the "evil" attributes of cannibis simply as a means to continue making a profit off their shares. If cannibis was not considered "evil" then it would be legal to grow hemp. You can make over 200 different products out of hemp, one being paper. A cheap and renewable source of paper, we cut down thousands of trees to make paper, those trees won't grow back for 100 years!

Think on this. If you've ever seen a clear cut forest you will realize that this, along with our use of fossil fuels (you can also make an hemp oil which may be or may not be useful in running vehicles) is contributing to global warming.

Of course people, in their devine ignorance believe that people would grow cannibis in their hemp fields. The resulting mixture would be a poor quality of hemp and an even poorer quality of cannibis.

The more you know.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: SugarCoatedHell

You seem to think people are dependant on others opinions. I certantly wasnt so niave when I was little, and neither were my peers. Information about smoking was shoved down our throats at school, by parents, blah blah blah. My opinion isn't dangerous, and Im offended you said so.

No amount of information can convey to a young person what it is like to be addicted.

Education/information is good, because many young people will, on receiving valid info, choose not to dabble with cigarettes and thus not get addicted.

This does not in any way mean they understand the nature of addiction in the way that ex-addicts do; fortunately, for many of them, sich understanding is not necessary for them to make the cnoice not to use cigarettes.

The information given, however, needs to be correct- if the process of information includes falsehoods like 'if you get addicted to smoking, you can easily quit simply by choosing not to smoke or by use of willpower', then that is what I call 'dangerous'.

It's dangerous because it's untrue, and because if young people believe it, they are that much more likely to experiment with cigarettes- thus adding to a new generation of addicts.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Some helpful advice for those wishing to explore the nature of their addictions.

1) Don't buy Allen Carr's book. He's making a career out of others misery, and it's only his version of the problem.

2) Buy/find a small notebook and a pen. Then, for a month, every time you wish to partake in your addiction write down your reasons for doing so. No guilt trips, just your reasons for that particular cigarette/coffee/mars bar.

3) At the end of the month examine your notes. Do your reasons seem sensible, can you see any patterns, did you care enough to finish the experiment?

4) With this personal information, decide what if anything you wish to do about your addiction.

And in answer to the threads title, all drugs should be legalised. But then I also believe there should be no laws, so it's a bit of a moot point...

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

buzzingtalkMember
152 posts

Posted:
legalise - probably not. in a sense i would love it to be legalised, because then no one would have to be suspicious about their habits, and the police wouldn't have to waste so much time that could be spent doing more valuable things like getting pedos and rapists and white collar criminals that are much more dangerous than a few stoners who want to sit down and eat.

smoking weed may give your mental health problems, everyone knows this, but alcohol may give you liver problems, getting in a plane may cause DVT and gives off loads of pollution, smoking fags may give you cancer etc etc what difference does it make if there is another choice for people to mess their bodies with? i have been smoking for a few years now, and i do enjoy it, it is a good stress reliever etc.

but i wouldn't support it being legalised in the current climate cos the medicinal stuff is WEAK as [censored], and the government will tax it which is OK but the gear will be rubbish so theres no point in that. i think if it was proper legalised so many people wouldn't smoke it, when i was in school it was cool to break the law and the easiest and fun nest way to do it was to do get high.

Kiss me now, You're beatiful, For these days are truly the last.

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
surely a major reason why they won't legalize it is due to the fact that the market is impossible to govern and therefore tax...
it would still be sold illegally but would be legal to smoke...
the government would not make any money therefore no point.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
The entire (or a hefty percentage of why it wont be legalised) argument summed up in one post there Matty. smile
hug2

In my opinion.... ubbangel

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Chronofracture

Some helpful advice for those wishing to explore the nature of their addictions.

1) Don't buy Allen Carr's book. He's making a career out of others misery, and it's only his version of the problem.

I agree- if your aim is to 'explore the nature' of your addiction, Carrs book probably isn't the best choice.

The value of Carrs book is for those who wish to end their addiction, and for this purpose, in my opinion (formed from my extensive experience of ending my own nicotine addiction and detailed observations of the successes/failures of others) it is one of the most useful resources available, particularly for those who have tried and failed with the traditional quitting methods on multiple occasions.

As for Carr making a career out of it- he basically wrote a book and I think it's fairly standard for authors to receive payment when their books sell?

Personally, I hope his career goes from strength to strength: IMO (and I'm sure the many ex-miserable addicts who were freed after reading the book will agree)- best of luck to him- it'd be nice to see someone getting rich from actually doing something of use to humanity.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Take the money you'd spend on cigarettes and give it to your friends. Ask them to slap you every time you touch a cigarette.

Problem solved. smile

[J/K but not going to get into the choice debate again]

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
@ OWD - what did you think of the rest of my advice?

I don't have a problem with AC writing books, nor people buying them, this is the way of the world. But as with the rest of the self help market, how many buy his books and in fact don't sort out their problems...

Why is this? Maybe because people are looking for a way out of their situation whilst at the same time taking no responsibility for it. The way his work is marketed feeds into this desire. The information his books contains is good, as with many self help books, but it is marketed in this way.

I'm overjoyed if someone reads one of these books and is inspired into a better understanding of themselves and their situation. This can be the start of a process which leads to positive change. Without this understanding, you may stop smoking (and there are many ways to stop someone smoking), but you won't address the underlying reasons for why you started, or then displacing that behavior onto another addiction.

Funnily enough I believe that overcoming an addiction, in a similar way to dealing with a period of insanity, can be one of the most transformative experiences a person can have. Leading to a sense of empowerment and self-control that few other paths in our safe western world can provide. There is no "easy way", only conflict leads to change.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

2) Buy/find a small notebook and a pen. Then, for a month, every time you wish to partake in your addiction write down your reasons for doing so. No guilt trips, just your reasons for that particular cigarette/coffee/mars bar.

3) At the end of the month examine your notes. Do your reasons seem sensible, can you see any patterns, did you care enough to finish the experiment?

4) With this personal information, decide what if anything you wish to do about your addiction.

And in answer to the threads title, all drugs should be legalised. But then I also believe there should be no laws, so it's a bit of a moot point...

@ OWD - what did you think of the rest of my advice?

I don't have a problem with AC writing books, nor people buying them, this is the way of the world. But as with the rest of the self help market, how many buy his books and in fact don't sort out their problems...

Why is this? Maybe because people are looking for a way out of their situation whilst at the same time taking no responsibility for it. The way his work is marketed feeds into this desire. The information his books contains is good, as with many self help books, but it is marketed in this way.

I'm overjoyed if someone reads one of these books and is inspired into a better understanding of themselves and their situation. This can be the start of a process which leads to positive change. Without this understanding, you may stop smoking (and there are many ways to stop someone smoking), but you won't address the underlying reasons for why you started, or then displacing that behavior onto another addiction.

Funnily enough I believe that overcoming an addiction, in a similar way to dealing with a period of insanity, can be one of the most transformative experiences a person can have. Leading to a sense of empowerment and self-control that few other paths in our safe western world can provide. There is no "easy way", only conflict leads to change.

One reason not everyone who buys the book don't sort out their addiction is because, for most long term nicotine addicts, quitting smoking is very hard- the undestanding necessary to escape it can be elusive.

I've known many people who are put off by what they see as the dogmatic/authoratitive tone of the book; I've known many who quite simply didn't understand the book and some who believed they understood it but, when they explain their understanding, they obviously haven't.

And, of course, many read the book and fail to quit because they don't believe one of the central points that it makes (such as the importance of, having quit, never have 'just one cigarette'; or its advice not to use substitutes (patches, herbal cigarettes etc). Often, after more failed attempts following traditional methods, they go back to Carrs book and, with the benefit of experience, see that his points are indeed valid, quit again, and succeed (this is what happened to me).

As to the rest of your advice- it's sound enough- taking notes is something I believe strongly in.

It's not the way i quit, and, given that I've not personally tried that approach with smoking or seen the results of anyone else using it, it's not an approach I personally would recomend.

I highly recommned Carrs approach because it's the one that worked with me, i've seen others succeed with it and I understand how and why it works so well.

Overall though, your advice seems to be focused on a kind of psyco-analytical approach focused more on self-understanding than actually quitting.

Written by:

I think most who read Carrs book have made the decision that they're tired of being addicted and they want to know how to quit.

Additionally, as an ex-nicotine addict who is now free of it for life, I have certain opinions about smoking, one of which is that any smoker who's under the impression that they want to smoke for any reason other than being addicited, or that smoking carries any benefits to them; is deluded.

Written by:

I agree, that overcoming addiction is a highly transformative experience; however, IMO, this is not only due to the self-understanding gained and the ability to disengage from and disable the habitual thought patterns that previously sustained the addiction; it is also because freeing oneself from the insiduous mental/spiritual effects of nicotine/other drug, itself facilitates transformation.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Page: ...