Page: ...
Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Legalize Cannabis Yes/No

I'm only starting a new thread on this because I wanted to put a poll into it to get a judge of opinion there are a few topics relating to cannabis (go search)

To start of I would like to ask the question should it be Legalized. And your opinions on why or why not.

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

I dont like that arguement, ban drink couse it makes you violet. It makes -some- people violent, for me alchohol makes me either sleepy, or hyper and giddy, ive never been violent on alchohol, no matter how much ive drank.

Sorry I did not mean that all people get violent whilst drinking - it's just that people in general are more likely to when drinking that when smoking pot.
I don't agree wiht banning drink either.

Are you up for it?
wink;)

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
found it

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa38.htm

and Trisha knows all dose she confused

sorry sorry offtopic

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
sorry peeps im getting a bit worked up i will step back for a bit

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Quote from above article
"Conclusion

No one model can account for all individuals or types of violence. Alcohol apparently may increase the risk of violent behavior only for certain individuals or subpopulations and only under some situations and social/cultural influences (4,36)."

Are you up for it?
wink;)

GazzaBeeBRONZE Member
PoiBoi
627 posts

Posted:
I do think that anything can be addictive from taking drugs to vacuum cleaning. We are after all, creatures of habit... behvioural therapists would argue that if you do something around 20 times consistently, you will develop a habitual behaviour i.e. do it without really thinking about it... I guess the addiction is all about stopping though... those psychological addictions are much easier to break then those addictions which are both psychological and physiological...

Stuck in my Poi comfort zone....

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Overall to legalise pot would take a tremendous amount of resourses for treatment, education etc etc like what they have in place for alcohol which is probably why most governments don't legalise it. It should be there for medicinal use though.
Side comment - giving up pot is easier that giving up drink at least with pot there isn't openly places to go & buy it like pubs & bottle shops - hey wait a minute, maybe I should vote for it to stay that way biggrin

Are you up for it?
wink;)

GazzaBeeBRONZE Member
PoiBoi
627 posts

Posted:
Sadly, the resources for helping people addicted to alcohol are terrible in the UK... There is way more money and opportunity for treatment if you use drugs... (and even that is pretty poor!)

The Drug Action Teams across the UK are actually asking their treatment services to reduce the number of primary alcohol users who access the treatment services as there is currently not enough funding to cope!

Stuck in my Poi comfort zone....

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mint Sauce

alcohol has been proven in several study’s to bring out violent tendencies as it reduces inhibitions and enhances emotions anger/aggression is an emotion you may have.

If that's the case, legalise beans... biggrin
I've never seen anyone violent whilst on them in my life...they ALL just become uber-friendly tongue

(That was a joke by the way, about legalising certain class A's)

I'm still on the fence about legalising cannabis at the moment, might end up saying don't care as well...

It's better to burn out than to fade away

tentpegnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
I would say legalise because it can be dangerous rather than legalise because its safe. The messages about safety are about how its used. There are still people around who say its safe and this is what the most vulnrable want to hear so they are not getting suported n not using it. I'd like to see it like alcohol - accepting that it isnt going to go away but with quality control information about what type it is, Im not sure if use would increase uncontrollably - becaseu it is anyway, but it istn sensible use thats increasing its uninformed use. So more people using it occasionally, that would not be a problem.

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Weed practically is legalised. If you get caught with it you'll probably just get a smack on the wrist and a small fine. The only reason they say it's illegal is to keep the soccer mums happy.

I'm pretty happy with the drug situation in Australia. Anyone into drugs can get hold of high quality, good stuff at any time of the day, for a good price. There's lots of information available and there are usually pill testers at raves. The laws prevent prices going down too much, so it helps people moderate their drug use which is the key to not getting screwed up.

I think a much more important issue is so stop the discrimination, misinformation and propaganda about drugs and drug users. Drugs can be very beneficial if used properly, and not all users are dodgy streetkids that feed their habit by stealing. I think that most psychedelic drug users would be a billion times more honest and trustworthy than the corrupt politicians who discriminate against them.

tentpegnewbie
6 posts

Posted:

I know drugs can be beneficial whichis why its a disgrace that THC4MS is being prosecutedfor helping people with MS.

The thing about infomration - what is and isnt misinformation? Some new research says that while THC is very dodgy for schizophrenia, cbd has the opposite effect and can work as an antipsychotic. Which explains partly why people with this illness toke so much. And why there should be a range of posible stuff to use, same as alcohol. I do not believe that this sort of really subtle quality control is possible while it is illegal.

JhingeBRONZE Member
110 posts

Posted:
legalisation of weed is such a gray area as a lot of people who smoke it and dont smoke have different ideas and different views

i personaly smoke on a regular basis. altough i would love to see weed legalised i am dubious of letting the goverment take full control of it as i feel that the quality would go down and prices would go through the roof as the goverment would just use it as another taxable comodity. in my opinion it should be down grade to a class c drug again (the government recently changed it back to class b after confusion from the public of the

legality) the problem is that unlike alchol and nicotine cannabis is not at whole social acceptable which makes it difficult for this subject to come to a resolve the only reason ciggerates and alchol are not ilegall is due to it being part of our socioty for so long if alchol was a new drug coming in to the market then it would be placed in a class a bracket. All the time that public opinion in the majority is againt the legalisation then it will never happen but in years it come it is more than likely that it will be come legal as socioty and attitudes changes because sooner or later the taboo will disapear and socioty will accept it as the norm and social acceptable

peace free the weed

sparks one up and passes it around
EDITED_BY: el ginger 1 (1125752753)

i dont get paid to belive i get paid to destroy things

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:

I know weed is addictive couse Ive watched Trisha, and guests have come on the show specificly because they are addicted to smokeing the stuff.

Ok i was wrong about the addiction thing but Trisha is not the way to find out facts.

RICE

AND PEA!!! smile

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Spiderbaby

I know weed is addictive couse Ive watched Trisha, and guests have come on the show specificly because they are addicted to smokeing the stuff.

Ok i was wrong about the addiction thing but Trisha is not the way to find out facts.

I disagree. I was glad to see the show mentioned in connection with this issue because it's a popular daytime show (UK) which is not shy of dealing with the negative aspects of cannabis use in a fairly objective fashion.

Especially since the target audience is one of the groups who tend to be in an environment where cannabis use is seen as normal and harmless.

Of course, stats have their place when coming to conclusions on this issue, but just as important are the stories of those using it- traditionally, the pro-cannabis groups have put forward their experiences of suffering no negative effects- it's important for the public to hear from those who have experienced negative effects.

Those who appear on 'Trisha' tend to be people who, to some extent, have lost control of some aspect of their lives; IMO, people in that situation are exactly the ones who should not be using weed, and I think it's good that the show basically points that out to them, and to the audience.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

Those who appear on 'Trisha' tend to be people who, to some extent, have lost control of some aspect of their lives; IMO, people in that situation are exactly the ones who should not be using weed, and I think it's good that the show basically points that out to them, and to the audience.

I disagree those appearing on 'Trisha' are there because they want to be on TV if you wanted to seriously sort your problems out you go to a councillor

but I agree it dose bring important issues to people who wouldn’t not normally watch stuff like 'Horizon'

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

it's important for the public to hear from those who have experienced negative effects.

But the public rarely hear about the positive effects of weed.

People can and do lose control of their lives on other legal drugs too.

Yeah its good that Trisha showed what can happen to weed smokers but i stand by my statement that Trisha isnt a good source of fact.

jinvincibleGOLD Member
king of the hedgehogs
125 posts

Posted:
The big problem with legalization is that you can't patent drugs that are naturally occurring - and the drug companies want patents so they can make money. Dow chemical wants to make money, cotton producers want to make money, big timber companies want to make money... Legalizing would be a threat to all. Hemp fiber is stronger yet softer than cotton, it's pulp produces better paper with less waste and uses fewer chemicals in the process, we wouldn't want that now, would we? How are the chemical companies to survive if they can't sell the same chemicals they've sold for decades? Legalization is just not good for big business. And face it, according to the gubment, if it's not good for big business, it's not good for the public, right?

Yellow and blue make green.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Spiderbaby

But the public rarely hear about the positive effects of weed.

People can and do lose control of their lives on other legal drugs too.

Yeah its good that Trisha showed what can happen to weed smokers but i stand by my statement that Trisha isnt a good source of fact.

Obviously people can and do lose control of thier lives on other legal drugs- alcohol, tobacco etc. However, at least those negative effects are acknowledged and addressed- it's pretty well known that tobacco is very bad for health, as is habitual use of alcohol (admittedly, many choose to disregard this public knowledge, but at least it is available).

With weed, the situation is not as good- on one side is the innacurrate leftovers of the 'reefer madness' style of government funded anti-drugs propaganda, and, on the other, the equally innacurate issuings of the pro-cannabis groups who promote cannabis as a wonder substance that will free your mind, make you healthy, and carry no risk of negative side-effects.

What is needed is the truth, much of which is best learnt from the experiences of those who have used cannabis.

In the past, discussions of negative aspects of cannabis use generally focused on results of studies- the weakness of that is that most studies can be argued to be flawed or inconclusive, and it was this which formed the basis of the debates. The nature of those kind of dabates is that they tend to go round and round, and on and on, without ever getting anywhere.

Now we're at a point where there's a very large number of cannabis users from all walks of life, who've smoked for many years, and experienced the effects.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mint Sauce

I disagree those appearing on 'Trisha' are there because they want to be on TV if you wanted to seriously sort your problems out you go to a councillor

Not necessarily, some people don't want to see a councillor- maybe cos of the expense, or the waiting list, or simply because they've had bad experiences with past councillors.

A lot of these people are fans of the show, and have seen enough of it that they trust the presenter to be objective.

I'm sure a minority are there because they want to be on TV, but I'm equally sure that the majority have genuine issues that they want to resolve.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
Written by: GazzaBee

those psychological addictions are much easier to break then those addictions which are both psychological and physiological...

id say that really all the phyisical addiction does it make giving up more painful - breaking the addiction is breaking the psycological habit tongue

anyway thats a bit offtopic

i voted dont care

ive smoked a bit - its ok but not amazing
ive drunk a lot - the same

my conclusion... legalising cannabis would really make no difference either way

if the gov controlled it then the purity would be better as there would be tons of legislation about it. the strength would go down for safety reasons.

people would still get onto harder drugs because part of the pull of pot is that its rebelious (certainly for younger kids) and something would replace it.

the gov would take money from it as tax which would help servicies etc.

in the same why that alc can affect people in good and bad ways so can pot. its about personal self control.

pot can have bad affects - heavy smoking of it can trigger mental illnesses and comas - unfortunatly you dont know if this will happen in you until its too late

basically after all that rambling - legalising wont change much. people will smoke it more openly and there will be more smokers. the pot will prob be weaker and cleaner

so people will go to dealers for harder stuff (either pot or other drugs)

people will still be at risk from it

just as they're at risk from tabbaco and alc

back

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: linden rathen

pot can have bad affects - heavy smoking of it can trigger mental illnesses and comas - unfortunatly you dont know if this will happen in you until its too late

Comas???

Do you think you could elaborate on that.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
I thinjk we will just have to agree to disagree on this one dave

tentpegnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Cetainly its risky for mental illness, partiularly with kids, but dont think comas.

However, there isnt really any disagreemnt - ie the research and peoples personal testimonies sow that there are benifts for multiple sclerosis for some people. These people who I know, one of whom has MS, are at risk of a prison sentence for having helped others to use cannabis chocolate to hep their condition. This cannot possibly be fair. So legalisers, not legalizers and dont carers - please sign that petition.

https://www.petitionthem.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=2001

Lizzymember
69 posts

Posted:
I put this in the 'Smoking, Why?' thread in the other place, and now I'll put it here, as it seems to put things in perspective a bit.

Written by:

Alcohol accounts for four times as many deaths as drugs
Twice as many people are dying as a direct result of boozing too much -compared with the end of the ‘70s - according to figures released by Alcohol Concern today at its Legal But Lethal conference.
The figures reveal that the deaths of almost 6,000 people (3,800 men and 2170 women) were directly attributable to alcohol in 2001. This compares with 1498 deaths directly related to drugs.

Here's my little story to illustrate my point. You don't have to read it as it's probably going to end up quite long:

So during my GCSE year, I was blazing every day, pretty much. Still got some very good results, all beginning with the letter A. Apart from maths, but maths is rubbish anyway!
Then at the beginning of my AS level year i had a new part-time job and was earning up to £90 a week, thus was getting through a quarter each week. A friend from work had recently moved into a lush new flat close to the city centre, so we played with the idea of growing our own.
Eventually, we started dabbling in other harder substances, which began to effect my grades. I didn't turn up on a Monday morning for about 3 months, and friday afternoons were spent trying to score.
So eventually, after a few close calls with total addiction, i realised that i was messing up a perfectly healthy body in pursuit of some chemical highs that could probably be better achieved naturally. Life's great when youre my age, and my generation are so lucky to be living in the UK, where we get a free education, the right to vote, freedom of opinion and a million other rights to boot. OK, getting a little off topic here.....
I quit my job, started turning up to school and stopped taking the stuff i was taking, including smoking weed. Took my exams in May/June and got a tidy set of results, published a couple of weeks ago.
Over the summer i took up drinking and smoking weed again, but found myself on a downer every couple of weeks. So i stopped smoking weed, and it stopped. I'm perfectly happy and satisfied, and drugs helped me to come to terms with what i've been GIVEN for FREEEEEE and the VALUE of it all. Now, I know my limits, i know whatever i do at the weekend it won't be in copious amounts. Smoking weed for the sake of smoking weed is ridiculous, and turns it into a gateway drug.

However, I voted that it should be legalised for this reason:
people go out drinking every weekend without any problem. As soon as even the 'straight-edged' people turn 18 they naturally progress onto drinking alcohol and getting drunk. And they're doing more damage to their poor livers by binge-drinking than by smoking a couple of jids. But the point is, that a lot of these people would never smoke weed because of the stigma of illegality attached to it. The fact that even though it has the same if not less damaging effects as alcohol, it's illegal status means it's been demonised, made out to be far worse than it is. And it's this status that makes weed a gateway drug for class A's. If it weren't illegal, these people would treat it the same as alcohol, instead of putting them all in the same bracket.

So when Sammy Straight-edge turns 18, him and all his friends start drinking. But Sammy meets some bad bad people who let him smoke weed. And Sammy's old friends turn against him and are shocked that he's doing something so bad. Thus, Sammy puts smoking weed in the same bracket as doing a line, therefore the boundaries are down and he feels he can take any drugs he likes.

Weed isn't for everyone, and it's effects are still shrouded in mystery. But change it's status and within time, you'll change our attitude towards it, and it won't be such a 'gateway drug'.

screechcircling on the edge of madness
889 posts

Posted:
de criminalise don't legalise by legalising it you make it taxable and the price will go up and the quality is sure to go down in most cases

finland finland finland
the country where i want to be
pony trekking or camping
or just watching tv

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
how can you say the quality would go down if it became legal thwy woud not be abel to mix all the crap into solid you curently get.

and how can you make the quality of a plant go down in any case more people will be able to grow it openly improving the quality.

screechcircling on the edge of madness
889 posts

Posted:
you wouldn't get solid anymore if it was legalized and to be honest i prefer solid to weed i can enjoy being stoned and still manage to do stuff on solid

theese days with all the hybrid plants people create the weed is really potent and just makes me fall asleep i remember when you used to get decent weed like thai grass, durban poison and northern lights. skunk and all its derivatives are genetically modified to be stronger and are too strong but thats what the legal market would cater for.

finland finland finland
the country where i want to be
pony trekking or camping
or just watching tv

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
the reason you get more done on solid is because it has such a low THC content. and in most cases it has been cut with all sorts of [censored].

Beeswax, turpentine, milk powder, ketamine, boot polish, henna, pine resin, aspirin, animal turds, ground coffee, barbiturates, glues and dyes plus carcinogenic solvents such as Toluene and Benzene .

the best quality solid in this country has less than 10% actual cannabis (found in a study done by Edinburgh university (cant find the ref right now)

This of course is a direct result of its legal status preventing proper controls and forcing the trade into the hands of organised crime who have the ability to cut your hash on a large scale to make more money.

stick to weed you can see what you are buying and if you go for home grown the money goes directly to your local grower and no doubt he will put that money into growing more

if you are going to smoke it stay safe and say “NO TO SOAP BAR”

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
It has even been known for harder drugs to be cut into hash to try to get smokers into more addictive drugs which are more expensive.

I personally have found bits of plastic in solid (most disturbing) haven’t touched the stuff for years.

lauz the caterpillagoddess of all things slimey and an interchangeable insect!
2,443 posts

Posted:
i dont care if they legalise it or not but from looking at holland and how unrestricted their laws are it may seem a good idea. they are leniant (sorry if spelt wrong) with things such as drugs and age restrictions and it has proven to be successful. they have less drug users than us and things such as they can have sex from the age of 12 and they have less teenage pregnancies. i suppose telling quite a few people its alright to do something makes them think the fun from that "illegal" thing is all gone. theres no risk there any more and takes the excitement away.
either way yeah it would be cool if weed was legal as i could buy it without the risks of getting thrown in jail also the government would make masses of money from it which woul be beneficial for our society. but on the same hand if that becomes legal theres possibilities of harder things being bought out to lower classes and eventually in a good many years becoming legal too. maybe we should draw the line. do we want our society getting worse than it is.
i say its a no win situation. and as usual you cant please everybody.
thats all i have to say and sorry if i'm not completely accurate i only know about cannabis when it comes to looking at it and telling you where its from hehe

Shhhhhh! the boobies are trying to sleep.
owner and the property of noddy.
*i was a caterpilla last night wink* - libby_tuesday

Page: ...