Page: ...
Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Legalize Cannabis Yes/No

I'm only starting a new thread on this because I wanted to put a poll into it to get a judge of opinion there are a few topics relating to cannabis (go search)

To start of I would like to ask the question should it be Legalized. And your opinions on why or why not.

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
I personally believe it shouldn’t be Legalized. Purely on the basis that it is a mind altering drug and I believe that any substance that is in any way bad for you with no additional benefits should be illegal.

I also believe we should ban smoking and alcohol both mind and body altering drugs which kill people.

I admit I am a smoker and have been for several years now but still disagree that it should be legalized I smoke to get high for my own personal pleasure so if I was to say it should be legalized because it dose me no harm (and would save me a hell of a lot of money and effort getting it) is just nonsense and purely a selfish reason.

I agree it dose have medicinal purposes in certain medical conditions and should be allowed on prescription only their are many drugs that are only available through prescription only I see no difference in making cannabis such.

And for all those out there who say but it dose no harm. I ask you HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS there have been hundreds of medical tests and trials run on cannabis all coming to totally different conclusions some good some bad.

In my personal opinion anything you burn and inhale into your lungs cant be good you lungs are designed for air not smoke (or why do we cough). And I certainly I don’t feel to hot if I smoke to much over a prolonged period of time.

Ahhh some of you may be saying but I have it in tea and cakes. I have had my fare share and on occasion have hallucinated (not good) surly this is my body’s way of saying eeeeek something is very wrong.

So in conclusion yes I smoke and yes its my choice to but I also accept that what I do is wrong and damaging my body and if I get caught then yes I should be punished its my vice I live with it.

I would never condone anyone to start smoking in fact if people who don’t smoke ask for some I often turn them down>

My 2 cense

smile
EDITED_BY: Mint Sauce (1125683850)

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
alcohol and tobacco is more harmful and deadly. I see smoking the weed benificial for a number of ailments - especially period pains. of course you dont have to smoke it - herbal tea's are good too.
Not taken excessively, it is a miracle from mother nature.
I kid you not!

I voted yes. biggrin

Free da Weed peace

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
could you not get it on precription if it was avalibal like other strong period pain meds

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
I've never tried, oh saucy one. I don't think so frown

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
sorry I meant if they made it available on prescription (I know it is not at the min) the law is stupid around cannabis because it is a recreational drug they seem to be NOOOOOOOOOOOO ITS BAD NOOOOOOOO YOU CANT HAVE IT.

whereas many drugs are illegal to poses but are used for medical purposes all the time

go figer

EDITED_BY: Mint Sauce (1125685447)

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
the government grow their own stash at secret sites for "scientific" purposes, somethings gotta give soon.

I bet their parties rock! shwing!

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I smoke weed for medicinal reasons. Without it I would be in too much pain to walk and would never sleep.

I'm still, however, not entirely sure that legalisation would be the best thing.

If it was legalised, then what would happen?
would the government want to regulate it like cigarettes and alcohol?
would they start taxing it?

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
of course they would - thats what they do tax tax tax.
If anyone is wanting fun, the goverment profits from it otherwise they won't bother legalising it.

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
i may go out on a bit of an of topic limb hear but i think tax is a good thing (look at how great tax payes for the nhs and stuff) goverment profit dosent go int the goverments pocket but back into making this country better (why dose it get such a bad rap)

JakBJCmember
117 posts

Posted:
I think cannabis should be legalised. Not specifically for its medicinal uses, recreational uses or just because it would save people a lot of trouble. It's a bit of a mix of all three.

Alcohol is legal, it is ingrained as part of our society and I know that its status as legal is not gonna change especially in the near future. But at present it causes *lots* (I dont have figures) of deaths from both direct and indirect uses. The indirect deaths from things such as drink driving or violence are significantly more damaging to society that I think the results of cannabis smoking are. The effects of cannabis are much more docile, it is extremely rare (in comparison) that people who have been smoking are violent because of smoking, it does not lower you inhibitions in the same way as alcohol does. So the first point is that we already have a drug in our society that has detrimental effects and to have cannabis illegal while alcohol is legal appears hypocritical, especially when the cost of drunk people is taken in to account.

I'm not arguing that cannabis being legal is a good thing as such, but to restrict the ability of someone to choose to smoke cannabis but allow them to drink alcohol does not make sense to me.

I don't think a outright legalisation of cannabis is needed nor wanted by most. I think the ban on smoking in public confined spaces is a good idea. It stops people from having to smoke passivly and I think cannabis needs to be treated in the same way. Only to be smoked outside (which is pleasant enough), in licenced public places or private places such as the home.

I also wanted to note that cannabis does not need to be smoked with tobacco or even burnt (vapourizer). So the ideas that stem from it being bad beacuse of how you do it can't really be applied to the legal arguement consider a bottle of Wine with and after a meal compared to a bottle on its own without having eaten for a while.

I imagine that the legalisation of cannabis would lead to it being used by more people but that arguement alone doesn't mean it should stay illegal. We just need a better attitude toward it, take the europeans (or anyone elses in the world) attitude to alcohol compared with the British Binge attitude.

On a personal level I do smoke, and so do the vast majority of people I know. And I dont mean just out of my friends, I found that people I meet through work, friends of friends and strangers also smoke it. I know this could at least be partly due to my social circles but my social circles span alot of areas. Even a number of people I didn't think smoked it turns out do. The smell is quite recogniseable and I smell it when I'm out and about. Due to its secretive nature we don't know how many people do smoke it but I have been surprised. And recently I have thought that the numbers are bigger than I had previously thought.

This is because of the concentration of dealers. In the past month I learnt of a number of dealers in my local area I did not know existed and these dealers are obviously dealing to more people than just the 1 or 2 people that have told me about them. You are probably thinking that this reflects the area I live in but its not just localised to my area.

So it seems that a lot of people already do smoke it and by having it illegal it creates more work for police, courts, prisons and as a result increased financial cost to society. It also creates a stigma for cannabis smokers which puts them into the same kind of vein as harder drug users even if they are not.

I'm getting tired of typing now and think that I've got my point accross, hopefully.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I don't think it should be legalised. I think it should be legalised for medicinal purposes though (my mum has multiple sclerosis).

There has been a huge rise in cases of under 35's getting emphasimia (sp?), even people in their 20's getting it, and they smoke weed only a couple times a week. I know a lot of people who are addicted to weed and they lose their passion and energy for life which I think is very sad. I basically agree with everything mint sauce said.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
I'm still a bit undecided whether it should be legalised or not, but if they do, I reckon it has to be widely available like alcohol and cigarettes because if they made it prescription-only, then it'll open up a black market for it, or like you get bent coppers, you will get bent docs... which considering their profession, is pretty bad...just my two cents.

It's better to burn out than to fade away

tentpegnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Hi

I think that it should be legalisaed so that it can be regulated and not sold to kids - to get the message across that heavy use for the developing brain is risky (for some people and we dont know who those people are) my son has schizophrenia and cannabis is really very bad for him. Its legalisatio that would get this inform about safe use, not punishing people for using it. And of course medical use - there is absolutely no reason why this shouldnt be allowed.

Are links allowed? THC4MS is being prosecuted in UK for giving cannabis chocolate to MS sufferrs and there is a petition.

https://www.petitionthem.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=2001

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Written by: pricklyleaf

I know a lot of people who are addicted to weed and they lose their passion and energy for life which I think is very sad.

It isnt addictive though but the nicotine in the tobacco its smoked with is.

It would be cool if it was legal but on the other hand since im not 18 it would probably be harder for me to get if it was legal. It doesnt matter to me much that its illegal because its still easy to come by.

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
I'm all for it being legalised for medicinal purposes, but not for recreational use.

Although cannabis is less harmful than tobacco and alcohol, the detrimental effects to the brain are apparent in later life.

Ban tobacco, I say.

Drug free is the way to be.

Willy - is bad for your health...

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Going on the people I know and have known (1 of whom is an ex) I think it is, maybe not physically, but definately phscologically. they smoke both weed and normal ciggies. Otherwise, they wouldn't bother smoking the weed all the time, they would just smoke the ciggies. One fo the people I knew, started having to smoke in the mornings to cope with the world. I know a lot of very talented, intelligent people who have wasted their lives by someing weed, making them not bothered to do anything.

I think making weed legal would be a bad idea as it has a lethargic effect and I'm sure i read somewhere that it reduces workers productivity, so it would be bad for the country. Holland, where it is legal were/are actually considering banning it.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

tentpegnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Spiderbaby - Im interested - I dontknow whether or not you believe the research about the mental health risks for heavy intake of thc on the developing brain. But - if it were legal would you be more or less likely to believe the research findings and act on them or wouldnt it make any difference?

When my son became ill there was no information whatever about links with schizophrenia. And Ive generally found that unless people know others who have been badly effected they are very sceptical about the research findings. Which is why imho it should be legal in the same way as alcohol is . People under 18 shouldnt be punished for using it but adults who sell it to them would be. And there would be information at point of sale. Becaseu for most teenagers its Ok but for some it very much isnt and there is not difinitive way of knowing in advance who is vulnerable.

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Written by: tentpeg

the mental health risks for heavy intake of thc on the developing brain. But - if it were legal would you be more or less likely to believe the research findings and act on them or wouldnt it make any difference?

I dont smoke heavily. Once or twice in a month at the most, less during school or not at all.

If i was presented with such research findings i wouldnt care to be honest.

btw i dont question or care about current research findings.

GazzaBeeBRONZE Member
PoiBoi
627 posts

Posted:
I think all drugs should be legalised! A legalised but regulated market would put the emphasis on harm reduction and undermine the criminal element. Did ya know for every £1 spent on treatment saves £4 on enforcing laws which continue to fail us and drive the 5% of problematic drug users to crime to feed a criminalised habit... I spent the last 5 years working in this field and I see how vulnerable these laws make those who are already facing so many challenges... soapbox

Stuck in my Poi comfort zone....

tentpegnewbie
6 posts

Posted:

Thanks Spiderbaby - if it were to be legalised it would be "controlled" with proper information about it.

Gotta go - dont forget that petition

https://www.petitionthem.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=2001

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
confused

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I dont know why people smoke pot. Smokeing it causes cancer because of the chemicals and smoke inhilation, influenza, it can trigger asthma, bronchitus, and worst of all it can cause mental illness...your really messed up when you get into that and its dam hard to come back from once your there.

Allright it affects people less than others, and people are prone to it while others arnt, but even still smokeing enough of the stuff and your gonna get ill weather your prone or not you cant cheat it forever. Saying you will risk it is like saying...

well I havnt gotten pregnant so far and ive been sleeping with people since I was 16...I guess i can carry on, what are the odds eh?

The odds are greater everytime you do it thats what.

That and smoeking weed turns you into a mindless zombie, pot smokers are hte most boring people ever all they wanna do is sit around all day and smoke pot and talk about themsevles.

It shouldnt be legalised because if it does become legal its gonna explode and everyones gonna be doing it, mental illnesses are gonna go on the rise, and I would think the government has a responsibilty to stop that from happening.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I wanted to vote 'don't know', because I don't know whether legalising drugs will make the drug situation better or worse; so I voted 'don't care' as it seemed the closest option.

To me, drug use is, to a greater or lesser extent, dysfunctional, and is the anti-thesis of freedom and choice- if I thought legislation would lead to less drug use, I would have voted for it, but, like I said, I don't know what the effect would be.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Written by: Spiderbaby

Written by: pricklyleaf

I know a lot of people who are addicted to weed and they lose their passion and energy for life which I think is very sad.

It isnt addictive though but the nicotine in the tobacco its smoked with is.

It would be cool if it was legal but on the other hand since im not 18 it would probably be harder for me to get if it was legal. It doesnt matter to me much that its illegal because its still easy to come by.

Actualy Cannabus is adictive, the only difference its not a physical addiction like say for instance Herrorine can become, your body wont shake and sweat and go through painfull withdrawal but you can become addbad.

I watch Trisha (I say bowgle bowgle bomblesquat...kiss ma teeth) and alot of her guests come on the show because they are addicted to it and have to go through rehab for it.

Trisha allways makes a point to her guests not to get snobby about it, thinking 'I dont do rehab couse im not hooked on a class A is a bad attitude', your bodie can be addicted to any number of things drugs or not, if you have a problem with weed then Rehab is for you too the same way its for the alchahoilcs and crack heads.

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:

Written by:

Actualy Cannabus is adictive, the only difference its not a physical addiction like say for instance Herrorine can become, your body wont shake and sweat and go through painfull withdrawal but you can become addbad.

Cannabis is physically addictive. Most people don't think so but having being a hard core addict for 3 years I've been through it. Some of it is physological (like with cigarettes).

I still vote to legalise it though. I managed to work though my adiiction by quitting fully for 2 years & now I use it every now & then. Brilliant muscle relaxant. biggrin Being drunk makes people violent - being stoned does not IMHO

Are you up for it?
wink;)

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I dont like that arguement, ban drink couse it makes you violet. It makes -some- people violent, for me alchohol makes me either sleepy, or hyper and giddy, ive never been violent on alchohol, no matter how much ive drank.

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
I would love to now where you people are getting your "I’m so sure attitudes from" about your facts. there haven’t been any studies that prove anything much about cannabis that isn’t biased in some way or another.

it is a subject where you have tones and tones of research done but nearly all of it is done by people trying to prove its not bad or others trying to prove it is and in most cases coming up with results that support that fact.

I challenge you to find a report or study that came up with surprising results for the effects of cannabis "there are not many trust me iv looked for quit a few years" they all come up with near enough what they set out to find.

and if you believe all the research then one Joint will give you cancer as well as improving your lung capacity whilst making you slow witted and clever all at the same time

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
alcohol has been proven in several study’s to bring out violent tendencies as it reduces inhibitions and enhances emotions anger/aggression is an emotion you may have.

it even brings out the violent side in elephants and monkeys

just cos to date you haven’t been more aggressive doesn’t mean you wont

again studies can be wrong but this is my opinion

a good summery of alcohol and aggressive behaviour is in the journal "National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism No. 38 October 1997 "

it uses a wide range of different sources to compile a reasonable summery ok it may be biased I admit but hay its a good read. lest see if I can find it.

sorry

offtopic
EDITED_BY: Mint Sauce (1125706636)

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I know weed is addictive couse Ive watched Trisha, and guests have come on the show specificly because they are addicted to smokeing the stuff.

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mint Sauce

I challenge you to find a report or study that came up with surprising results for the effects of cannabis "there are not many trust me iv looked for quit a few years" they all come up with near enough what they set out to find.

Just a little off topic. Over here in NZ they do not know the effects of smokin cannabis whilst pregnant & refuse to do a study on it for fear of the effects on the unborn child, but National Womens Hospital that deals with premature births last year were asking for pregnant women that smoke "P" meth amphetamine to come forward to do research on the effects whilst pregnant eek go figure

Are you up for it?
wink;)

Page: ...