MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So watching what is happening in the elections tonight has me a bit concerned about a few things.

I want to be a research scientist, but the Republican party doesn't seem to be very interested in funding research. Now, England and Australia both are stepping up their research funding lately, it seems. Also, they have much more lenient rules on stem cell research.

That and a number of other issues have me doing some soul searching: Do I want to be a U.S. Citizen for the rest of my life? Is the U.S. really going to be the best place not only for my career, but for me as a person?

I'm starting to add up plusses and minuses because pretty soon, it's going to be time to make a decision on whether to stay in this country for my residency training or whether to go abroad. If I go abroad, I can't ever return and practice medicine here because I'd need to go through another residency (unless I went to England, in which case there would be some serious paperwork to do, but it might be transferrable).

I know that a few of you have switched citizenship, and you appreciate what a huge decision this can be. So I'm starting to think about it now.

Unfortunately, there is precious little information available about all this. I'm just not sure how to even begin to collect information.

I have a few years to think about this. Fortunately, I can always continue my training in the U.S. and transfer it to almost any other country, but I'd just as soon get out and start a new life elsewhere sooner rather than later if that's the path I decide to take.

I'm really confused. And I don't see this clearing itself up anytime soon, either.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
ok, a few more things to consider, probably ones that will take the glamour off the whole idea;

is it economically viable?
alas for australia, our pitiful dollar means that if you want to go home for holidays, you will be skint. However, in ol pommy land, their dollar is up compared to the US, which means you'll need to save more in the first place to get there...

Family: what happens if you find a nice girl, want to settle down, ect ect. If you have kids, what happens to them on the issue of twin residency?? (is that even the right word?)

Is the job market good for the type of research you want to be involved in right now? is there anyone you can contact (ie: through universitys, or other research companies) to find out just what sort of shenanigans the people in this area have to go through to get research grants??? ect ect

just a few thoughts best considered now `

good luck with it Mike! speaking as an Aussie, i know we'd be glad to have ya!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I don't know a massive amount about the scientific community over here. I know stem cell research is being discussed extensively in the political arena, and policy & legislation is only just being drafted and discussed.

As far as funding goes, government funding through universities is decreasing, based on previous years. Although this may change as the government is starting to realise what the lack of funding is doing. However I think corporate funding is up. (I don't know if thats good or bad)

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Flynt:
ok, a few more things to consider, probably ones that will take the glamour off the whole idea;

is it economically viable?
alas for australia, our pitiful dollar means that if you want to go home for holidays, you will be skint. However, in ol pommy land, their dollar is up compared to the US, which means you'll need to save more in the first place to get there...

Family: what happens if you find a nice girl, want to settle down, ect ect. If you have kids, what happens to them on the issue of twin residency?? (is that even the right word?)

Is the job market good for the type of research you want to be involved in right now? is there anyone you can contact (ie: through universitys, or other research companies) to find out just what sort of shenanigans the people in this area have to go through to get research grants??? ect ect

just a few thoughts best considered now `

good luck with it Mike! speaking as an Aussie, i know we'd be glad to have ya!

Well, the economics I don't see as much of an issue. It would be a bit rough at first either way, but once I got settled in, I'm sure I'd do well enough. Remember, I'm not in this for money. As long as I don't have to live in a cardboard box and wear a barrel around, I'm happy.

My family...I'm unattached and I plan to stay that way for a long time, if not forever. My parents are older and the rest of my family is loosely connected. Besides, if I went to Britain, I wouldn't be that far away.

The job market is an issue, but the area in which I want to research is very under-studied in Britain and it seems to be gaining a lot of attention lately there. The same is true, although to a lesser extend, in Australia. New Zealand, as much as I'd love to live there, seems completely uninterested. But that's what you get out of a country of 3 million people: not a heck of a lot of resources.

There are other issues as well, even if I couldn't do research, it's likely that a new Supreme Court could overturn Roe v. Wade and thereby make abortion illegal in the U.S.A. Seeing as how I want to deal with adolescent patients, I don't want to work in a country with such laws. I'm also concerned about U.S. drug policy; I think my patients will have enough problems on their hands if they get into drugs without the War on Drugs making it even worse. And I'm not sure I want my tax dollars supporting those very same programs.

This isn't recent, either. And it's not just a political thing. I've been giving this careful thought ever since I was in college. But in the wake of Sept. 11, I'm not sure how the country's priorities are going to jive with my own priorities, and the clash may be so strong that I can't function here anymore.

The other country I am considering is Spain. I am fluent in Spanish, they are funding research in my area, and I love the country. I'm going to spend a month there the year after next doing some medical training. I might try to swing a month in Australia or Britain, too (I can't do both).

I've a month in Australia, much more than that in Spain, and a few weeks in England, so I'm reasonably familiar with the countries (or more so than a completely ignorant outsider, anyways).

The biggest problem as I see it is that you guys drive on the wrong side of the road.

But seriously, if any of you Aussies or Brits happen to hear anything about U.S. doctors training and/or practicing in your countries, let me know.

-Mike

pantsonfirethe man with the flaming pants
148 posts

Posted:
Hey Dr. Mike, it must be bad over there, because figures realised today in OZ, indicated that the two major car companies Australian arms (Ford Australia and GM over here called HOLDERN) spend more money on research than all the unis in the country!!!!! the majority of research over here is comecial, which is good but has greed motive behind it, not at the researches level but at the funding level, so the researches are obliged to forfill certain company expectations possible corupting the research. but yeah enough of my rant, down with consumerisum,

It's all good

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I know a lot of medical researchers in the UK (like me) who have quit and got other jobs because they couldn't afford to support themselves well, let alone a family. And I know some who have moved to the US to get better access to facilities and money. Pharma researchers get paid a bit more, but if you're in academic research then you'll spend half your time chasing rather small grants.

I can understand the political issues as well. No country is perfect but you can choose the lesser of 2 evils.

It might not be clear to you soon what you have/want to do, but you don't have to make that decision too soon do you? So, see how your heart goes and I know you'll find your path.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
At this point, there is still a lot of money being used on basic research here. But the question is where it's going. I've heard a lot of grumbling in the higher eschelons from professors who are looking to get out themselves. If Bush manages to get a permanent tax cut passed at the same time that he wants to massively fund the military, the money has to come from somewhere, right?

There have also been a lot of officials questioning why the private sector isn't funding all this research.

On the other hand, there is still more money in research here than in any other country at this point. It could be irresponsible of me to run when I don't know what is going to happen in 10 years, which is when I'll actually be getting a professorship. So it may make more sense to wait it out and see where it goes, to see how permanently the country's priorities have changed then. The problem with that is the logistical issue of moving countries once I'm established in a place that I call home.

*sigh*

Finally, there are some states, like California, which are saying that even if the government massively cuts research funding, the state will continue to fund research at a higher level than they do now. Of course, this would be up to the votors, but being California, I don't doubt they might pull it off. California and the other states that are talking like this are also likely to go against any other federal policies that I'm concerned about. Again, that would mean waiting it out. Which it looks like I'd have to do, anyways.

It's a toughie, this, isn't it?

-Mike