Page:
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
For those of you who haven't seen the news in the last few days, the US states of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama have been devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

Thousands of people are thought to have been killed, many more are missing and thousands remain stranded without help, food or water.

Info from BBC site here

If you have seen the news, it's really quite horrific to watch.

These people who have grown up in a country of relative wealth and stability have seen their worlds crumble around them... and now, four days after the hurricane ripped through, help has still not arrived.

Many of the National Guard are in Iraq, and god knows what's happened to the army helicopters and emergency relief, because it's currently not getting through.

And so, after four days without aid, the people have turned to looting and violence to stay alive.

My thoughts and sympathies are with the people going through this disaster.

grouphug

Getting to the other side smile

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
Like NYC said in a few months the news over here is gonna be on subject matter that really isnt important.

Since people from other countries post here.
Do you know any reputible news sources that one could read that still follow the news and only the important news?

We are defined by the choices we make

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ermmm.

I don't think such a network really exists yet. Unfortunately.

But www.bbc.co.uk/news and www.indymedia.org are good ones to keep an eye on.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
In aust, SBS seems to be pretty good, but i really don't know...

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I feel really sad when I think about how the survivors of this disaster were abandoned for a week by their government in that superdome, only to be subjected to another kind of hell by fellow survivors. All of it fits a macabre pattern that is being revealed in gory detail, not just in the US, but all over of Human inadequacy and deception.

also,

I think people should stop saying this is 'One of the worst natural disasters ever'. its a disgrace to compare this (even if you accept worst case scenario estimates) with the Tsunami disaster. Or perhaps because they are American their lives are worth more?

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
ditto

ture na sig

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I just think its terrible at a time like this whena country should be pulling together not ripping itself apart.

A question im curious for ppl to answer, if the same thing happened in england and a load of us were trapped in a place, do you think we would act in the same way?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I think people should stop saying this is 'One of the worst natural disasters ever'. its a disgrace to compare this (even if you accept worst case scenario estimates) with the Tsunami disaster.

I agree with that entirely! It really burned me when someone compared this to the Tsunami. Where on earth did that thought come from? Sweet God help us if that's the way all the politicians really think. For someone to say that, it really makes me want to beat some sense into them.

I don't think this measures up in the slightest - the main reason is that hurricanes happen all the stinking time, and no one can say that it's impossible to avoid them because it is. If you know it's coming, if you know they happen 2, 5, 7 times a year - you can avoid being in its way. At the most extreme, you can just not live where they hit! (sorry if I'm insulting someone - but let's be a bit logical, here.)

The victims of the tsunami didn't know! They were caught up in it blind and fast. The area that it hit was larger, the death toll was larger, the ruin left behind is and will be greater, the cost to recover isn't countable because of so many countries that were affected aren't going to rebuild. A lot of those people had less than the hurricane victims. A lot of them lived in shanties, they didn't have walls of brick and a refridgerator filled with food. At least a lot of the victims of the hurricane still have their children - how many hundreds of children were suddenly orphans? How many parents were suddenly childless?

It's disgusting for anyone to try to compare this to such a tragic, rare event as the tsunami. When I woke up that morning and heard the news about what happened, heard the death toll rising hour by hour (and there are many people that no one knew about who died, the death toll is likely higher than their estimates) I just cried, it was absolutely horrific.

What made it even more horrific was that the press felt it necessary to update us on the families of rich people who were vacationing over there. I didn't care about some model who has a million dollars to her name getting hurt - boohoo for her bullcrap. I cared about the people who worked their butts off to cater to her suddenly being dead. Grr.

Anyway, *sigh* sorry if I got a little soapbox and mad2 sometimes things just leave me confused and lost. I don't understand the way some people think and feel about things - and it bothers me that those people are the ones representing my country to the rest of the world and doing a horrible, horrible job. It offends me, so this is my only means of changing that. hug2
EDITED_BY: Julie2022 (1125929426)

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I don't think anyone with a bit of a brain will seriously compare two tragedies to each other, it's the press that do it for people's attention, it's politicians to justify what they're doing (and to distract from the fact they spent half of the time on their ranch) etc.

Even if you could compare them (or any 2 other disasters) - does it matter? Does it matter to a mother if she lost her child in a flood or a hurricane or a plane crash or a fire? The only difference it may make is for insurances. Sorry for sounding cold - if the person with the main income dies though, insurance money makes a great deal of a difference to the survivors.

I personally don't care if there is a difference - 10 000 people dead are just as unimaginable as 250 000 or a million, and I'm sure that for the people who have been struck by the hurricane saying "but the tsunami was worse" isn't going to help, just like "it's as bad as the tsunami" won't help either. The only thing I can really identify with is a story from a single person, or a small group of people, and they are just as bad now, even though there's less of them.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
sensibility - that's always a necessity, thank you.

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I find it amazing... Absolutely amazing.

Here is a city that has stood in this precarious position for CENTURIES.

And last week it was wiped out.

Hundreds of thousands are suffering, the devastation is enormous, it's a natural disaster like this region has never seen.

And, mark my words, no changes will be brought about to bring global warming under control.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
even those who advocate much stiffer controls on potential causes of climate change are dubious about the link between the hurricane and global warming. google it, if you don't believe me.

yes, it was a disaster; yes, it involved an extreme weather system; no, that doesn't mean that it was caused by global warming.

ture na sig

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
OK, quiet, then how many of these mega-storms do we need to see in rapid succession before we are convinced?

This is *EXACTLY* what global-warming folks have been predicting. An increase in mega-storms and severe weather.

And now we're seeing it. Except many are blind.

-Mike

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Who, exactly is saying this is one of the worst natural disasters ever?? What I heard on CNN yesterday was this was one of the worst natural disasters to hit the United States.

What was the standard? economic devastation? or loss of human life? As of yesterday the official death toll was 59. Maybe it was based on estimates.

https://start.shaw.ca/NR/rdonlyres/8729B429-F9F2-496B-8DD5-F5F6C619372B/0/cp_hurricane_katrina.swf

And as to this being caused by global warming, that's entirely possible but who among us is willing to compromise their lifestyle to reduce global warming? Anyone willing to give up their car? Never get on an aeroplane?

Pointing fingers just doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

I wonder how Canadians would react if such a disaster happened here in the same way PyroWill wonders how the U.K. would react. According to Michael Moore, Canada has more guns per capita than the U.S. but the big difference is we don't use them on other people ( With the exception of Toronto this summer ) but I hope from the bottom of my heart that we wouldn't shoot at those trying to rescue us.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: stout

And as to this being caused by global warming, that's entirely possible but who among us is willing to compromise their lifestyle to reduce global warming? Anyone willing to give up their car? Never get on an aeroplane?

I'm willing to give up my car. I'm actually moving so I can do just that.

As for the plane bit, planes are a major polluter, but they are getting more efficient.

We aren't going to get rid of cars in the near future, but we can use fuel cells and hybrid technology to greatly reduce our fossil fuel burn rates.

Furthermore, it's time to stop treating nuclear like it's poisoned and start using it. It's much less dangerous, in the long run, than coal. And it's about time that we put some serious effort into fusion research. It can be done, but nobody wants to fund it. It's time.

-Mike

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Just a note on comparing the disasters...I think that those working on the problem, determining what is required for relief, will obviously be comparing... A lot was learned during and after the tsunami. It was the most recent time when disaster relief, search and rescue, red cross etc etc had to rally themselves for a grand scale emergency response. This is grand scale, dont doubt that!

I was comparing the two in my head almost immediately, thinking, wow, same issues with water and extreme temperature, but in this case the water has flowed in, and not gone back out...Hmmnn, so many of the risks and dangers are the same, but aggravated...techniques required are similar, but even more challenging.... Hmmn. How many of those houses will be useable? How will they manage to rebuild them all... comparing the difficulties I witnessed elsewhere with the ones anticipated here. I think that is normal.

As far as scale, maybe not comparable, but in terms of the challenges of rallying resources, thinking of solutions to desparate problems, how to rebuild lives for people that lost absolutely everything-- sorry folks, but actually much the same.

Quantity of death is only one basis for comparision.To someone in the middle of it you see the immediate surroundings, not the # figure anyways, and I bet it doesn't look all that different- people suffering. I was overwelmed by the scale of thousands of thousands of deaths in the tsunami, for sure. You could feel it, and it shook me to the core. But I bet I would have been overwhelmed by "just" 200 deaths too... not so sure the numbers make all that much difference when you get into the destruction of whole neighborhoods and communities.

That people should have known about it, and it was a preventable disaster, etc- yes, very important point that must be addressed for the future. I agree that due to global warming we may see more of this sort of thing... Yet, the tragedies people bring on themselves hurt just as much as the ones that seem to come from nowhere, I think? Maybe more?

I guess one way it might be significantly different situation may be in the ongoing stress levels of the survivors. Many tsunami survivors could not sleep at all, and were terrified of the ocean. They did not know if and when it could happen again, and the stress of this unpredictability caused much ohysical and mental harm. At least the survivors of the hurricane and flood may be able to take some solace in the knowledge that it is likely that should such a thing happen again, they will probably have at least a little forewarning to work with and a chance to respond more effectively to protect themselves.

After the tsunami, little emphasis was initially placed on the psycological trauma of the survivors, and few plans put in place to help with the recovery on that level. But the damage was profound. Some people had new houses being built for them almost right away- ironically, long before they had decided if they had the will/desire/ability to continue living in the face of all they had lost... I hope we see more counselling support and care as an adjunct to recovery efforts here.

Of course people see what hits closest to home as larger - everything is in relation to themselves! Perspective works this way. It is natural.

hugs,

~a
EDITED_BY: andrealee (1125947364)

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Written by: stout

What was the standard? economic devastation? or loss of human life? As of yesterday the official death toll was 59. Maybe it was based on estimates.

New Orleans has not even begun to actually count the dead in that city. They will have to search every house in the city for both survivors and...the dead. For each house they search, they mark it, either with a mark saying the house was clear, or the number of dead.

The entire city is at a standstill...businesses aren't going to open any time soon, schools will be closed for at least a semester....that means no commerce. Something like this has not happened to a US city in ages. The last time something like this happened was the Galveston Hurricane in the 1800's, I believe, followed by the 1906 earthquake in San Francisco.

New Orleans is my home town...I see the devistation in the loss of life..and the loss of a way of life. Think about it...an entire population up and moved out of their home town for an indefinite period of time.

Just having moved to another country, I can say voluntarily moving to a new town is stressful enough....I couldn't imagine being forced to evacuate a place I called home and not being able to return for who knows how long...

It saddens me that the Bush administration is trying to place blame on the State and City governments (according to an article on BBC news...I don't have the link handy)...the man is far from a leader. He should take notes from President Truman, who's motto was "The buck stops here." A true leader takes responsibility for the actions of mistakes made on his watch.

This is not the time to try to shift blame off of the White House...this is the time to help people...I'm sorry to see that the current administraton is to petty to see that...not surprised, though.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
This all hits close to home for me.

I interviewed at Tulane and loved the program; they loved me. They sent me many E-mails trying to get me to rank them.

There was one question I had for them: "What happens when the Big Hurricaine comes?" (This was last January).

Gosh, I am super glad I ranked them low. I just didn't want to live in New Orleans. shrug

-Mike

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Agreed, Doc Lightening...

offtopic
I'm doing the same, and I know others who are, too.
--------------------
Still, one week after the hurricane struck - there are still people who are tucked in their houses dodging puddles and caring for kids.

At the first of this post I was harsh on all those who decided to try to wait the storm out, but the more I read and learn about everything - the more I empathize, the more I want to help. When 9/11 happened, I was hurt and moved - but this is different for some reason, this time I'm actually doing something.

Written by:

Pointing fingers just doesn't seem to be doing the trick

No, it doesn't do anything but it makes some people feel better about the choices they've made.

People can blame governments and all - but, hey - in the end, we voted Bush into office in the first place. It's a bit sad that in our modern society everyone feels the need to point blame at people for everything. No matter how natural or unpredictable - blame blame blame, even when no one really had anything to do with it.
The big thing to remember about hurricanes and the US - we only know their history for the last 300 years (if that, how long before we colonated the southern states?) anything before that and we're ignorant. 300 years isn't enough to figure out a natural cycle. The evidence that people have to base things on is only highly educated circumstances, no one really knows with absolute certainty. And a real scientists will tell you just that.

Supposedly ice ages come in natural cycles, too. Is anyone willing to consider that global warming is natural? I think it just goes to show that we don't know everything and we never will. But - like others say, that doesn't invalidate scientific reasoning, nor does it excuse us for being careless. We still need to be aware of how we are and considerate to everything.

"The sky is falling, the sky is falling, said Chicken Little."

"I'm your Huckleberry."

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
Written by: PyroWill

A question im curious for ppl to answer, if the same thing happened in england and a load of us were trapped in a place, do you think we would act in the same way?

i'm going slightly offtopic here, but no i don't think we would. after the london bombings, much was made of the 'britishness' of our response, both immediately afterwards (quiet filing away from bomb for tea and biscuits) and then the various media/web campaigns about general uncowed public getting back on trains. theres something in it. a few random points i've been thinking recently.

first off, if there was an evacuation we would evacuate everyone who wanted to go. i really do believe this. one of the most affecting shots i've seen of new orleans was one of rows and rows of school buses, buses that could have been used to evacuate those too poor to own cars or infirm to travel themselves. also prisons. i can't believe they didn't evacuate the prisons. more gruesome footage (how much has this been publicised in the US? prisoners trapped at the top of their cages as water levels rise towards them).

i don't believe we'd have the same problems with looting. obviously the proliferation of firearms in new orleans has hampered the rescue efforts, with contractors and rescue helicopters coming under fire. we don't have that. yes, we have guns but we just don't have as many.

as much as i dislike and distrust our government, i don't think they'd be so backward in coming forward. i'd really like to think that they'd realise something big and bad had happened the day after, instead of a week later after their MPs etc had spent a week shouting at them. they'd admit to needing help and by god they'd have every disaster team they could scrounge from the EU and the UN and NATO. i'm sure we're pretty good at putting up tents and marquees, since we're a nation of camping and garden parties. refugee camps sorted in no time. it'd be like one big adventure.

seriously though, if some kind of wave came up the estuary, through the thames barrier and flooded london (could happen, barrier is spending a lot more time closed than it used to) we now have the benefit of hindsight. we can learn from the mistakes of the US government/army/people/whoever you'd like to blame for the current debacle (and that is what it is). we cope. i think thats it. we are copers.

(i'm sorry if this all comes across as terribly pro-UK. its not intended as such)

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Almost everyone is going to be pro their own country - it's called patriotism and it's important, don't appologize for it smile

Hmm - as far as what's been shown in the US and what hasn't - I've only seen pics of people in N.O., nothing else, not even much of the areas outside of N.O....I think that American television is somewhat slighted to show suffering in other countries but not in our own. But, then again, I haven't been watching all the news on it.

"I'm your Huckleberry."

s1owpokeSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
I live in St Bernard Parish which is about 10 miles east of New Orleans. My home town was under 12 feet of water and nothing was mentioned on TV about it. Beleiev me. Many many people died on roofs and such waiting for the pathetic efforts of the cities evacuation. St Bernard is currently picking up many many bodies right now. I spoke to some people who have family members who are cops and firemen. They say some can not deal with the amount. Did I ever see St Bernard on TV.....NO!! and thats where the freakin eye passed over. Not the city....over my town. Cant always believe the media and I witnessed that 1st hand. Im sure I will know many who did not make it.

Let me add this little note. You may ask why didnt people leave. Well, most guaged it up to Betsy so many of the old timers who survived it thought this would be the same. Secondly and most importantly the evacuation last year was a disaster. It took many people 8 hours to drive somewhere that normally took 2 hours. I heard a lot of people claiming they will never do that one again. It was a little smoother this year but the memory and the crying wolf of last year was stuck in a lot of peoples minds. I say this because if it were not for my son and wife I was staying home. I would have ended up on my roof but may have never been picked up. Like I said, I live in St Bernard and we were not even on the news so I am sure we were ignored. Thats what makes me pissed when people claim racism. The majority of the city are black so it is reflected at the dome. What about my community of mostly white. Most were just left to die. One mayor of Jefferson Parish told a sotry about how one of his friends moms callerd him everyday from a nursing home in st bernard asking when they are coming. Everyday until she died from drowning. None of that is talked about. Lots going on that I find about not spoken about in the media. but Im sure thats no suprise.

The hurricane is an act of mother nature and was a trajedy but the way it was handled was even more.
EDITED_BY: s1owpoke (1125978287)

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
s1owpoke, I am so sorry for your loss and pain. There will be lots ignored by the mainstream media, hopefully yourself and others can get the information out through other means...
hug to you and your family

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I don't wish to sound cynical or nasty here, but for the couple of comments regarding how more people, larger area etc was affected by the tsunami in SE asia, there seems to be a lot more discussion and a few more threads regarding the recent hurricanes than there has been since the tsunamis.

Is this because there are more spinners/hoppers affected by the hurricane? Or because the hurricane and its reprecussions (seem to be) more televised/reported on? Is it because its in america?

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
The hurricane is definitely not more on tv than the tsunami - there was nothing else on then, there was nothing else on here after the London bombings, there was nothing else on now and there will be nothing else on the next time rolleyes

Maybe it is because it's America. Maybe it is because we all know people in America. It's not quite as unconceivable as a wave coming without any warning, and also, there's more discussion going on here because there are more things gone wrong, whereas with the tsunami, the only actual problem was getting the help to the people because the area was so large and they were cut off in many places, but people tried straight away.

Oh, and about the UK... given that in winter, when EVERYONE knows it may snow at some point, a 10 cm (ooops... 4 inch) layer of snow stops trains and buses, closes schools and delays planes for ages, I'm not too sure about how efficiently people would deal with warnings of a flood. I hope you're right though, lozzley bear wink

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
mm, but snow is part of our year...we might not deal with it very well, but it doesn't count as a disaster the way a big flood would, therefore doesn't motivate people in the same way.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"Almost everyone is going to be pro their own country - it's called patriotism and it's important, don't appologize for it"

Julie, I disagree with this.

I think patriotism can be completely misplaced (we're all the same, so why should we elevate one country above another?!) - it is something particularly celebrated in America.

But anyways, it's off-topic and has been discussed before, so best leave it for now.

And Mig... yes there are a few more threads on here than there were during the Tsunami.

I don't know why people aren't just posting in this thread - maybe it is because 'it is America'... shrug

I don't think the couple of extra threads are doing so much harm, though.

Take care s1owpoke... let us know if we can send you anything

hug

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i'm not particularly bothered or annoyed. i was just curious...

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

s1owpokeSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
Birgit,

I dont think there were more coverage of the hurricane than the Tsunami. I personally donated money to the Tsunami effort and always help in any way I can not matter where it is in the world. I followed the bombings in London, I follow the war in Iraq and support troops with donations and keeping in touch with several of the soldiers. If I have a problem of the politics of why we are in Iraq, I put that aside and support the guys and girls who are serving just as one should support people who are dying in a major disaster. I am proud to be an American but I am more so proud to help people no matter who and where they live. I dont discriminate and out everyone on the same plane. That is who I am.

Thanks for all who posted and are concerned. No one will ever agree on any political situation. I just wanted to publish what I personally experienced since it affected me directly. All of the negative opninions are valid to the individual who posted them but we have to excuse their ignorance. Some people are just that way and thats all and don' t know any better.

I love this site and do not want to make enemies so I will refrain from posting anymore since it affects me and angers to hear ignorant comments.

EDITED_BY: s1owpoke (1126010249)

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
well - I wasn't here when anything else happened smile That's my reason, anyway...But, believe me, I'm always talking about everything.

"I'm your Huckleberry."

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

The hurricane is definitely not more on tv than the tsunami

Am a bit confused s1owpoke... you're saying just what I was saying, aren't you?

Don't get me wrong, but your post sounds as if I'd said something to upset you (ignoring people's ignorance etc) - if I have done so, sorry, but I have no clue what you're referring to!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Page: