Forums > Social Chat > The monster under your bed.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Hey guys!

Please help me!

For my final year project I'm looking at how the imagination warps things and sometimes you think something is different to what it really is, or something is there when its not.

I used to think there was a scary hand that lived under my bed that would grab me if I let anything overhang, so what was the monster under your bed? (or inside your closet).

Or did anything come alive at night?

(no bogey monsters please though!!! wink)

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Have you read the comic book Gloomcookie?

This was under one of the characters beds: https://www.serenavalentino.com/gloomcookie/character/monster.jpg

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Here's something to think of...
Are you afraid of the dark? Or are you afraid of what's in the dark?

Having a very detailed and overactive imagination can do wonders when it comes to scaring the heck out of oneself.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: [noodles

]
Here's something to think of...
Are you afraid of the dark? Or are you afraid of what's in the dark?

Having a very detailed and overactive imagination can do wonders when it comes to scaring the heck out of oneself.

When I've read a book before sleeping, my imagination must be wild during the night. I have random nightmares, and every noise sounds like some evil being lurking in my room.

:|

Willy - is bad for your health...

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I used to be afraid of velociraptors at night.

I was one Special little kid.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
It's really weird because i've never had anything like this. You hear of children needing a night light on to go to sleep, but I was the complete opposite... I needed to lights off to be able to sleep.

Not so much now cos i can pretty much sleep any time , just give me a park, a bus, the train, lecture rooms (+ lecturer always helps). I think I've even nearly been able to sleep whilst on the toilet... umm

There were never monsters in the dark or anything from me, but I could probably imagine something up (I have a twisted imagination that revolves around evil and pain tongue)

It's better to burn out than to fade away

Posted:
i always needed the night light on to sleep, infact i still need the nigth light, even at the age of 16, it's a bugger when i go camping because i usually can't have any lights on because it wastes to much battery redface hug

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
When my mother used to put me to bed at like 6 or something like that, I actually used to tell her to turn the light off for me biggrin

I think it's just that I'm used to not having the light on because my parents never left the light on as a baby shrug

Posted:
my parents didn't want to leave the light on, i made them cause i was that scared of under my bed it was unbealiveable

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i prefer sleeping in the dark

i just hate it when you read/watch a something scary then spend the rest of the night seeing people in your room where you have shadowy clothes and such

i used to plan ways of hiding if velocoraptors got into my house

i found it the best way to stop being scared was come up with an escape plan ubbangel redface

back

Posted:
i'm gonna end up to be 50 and still sleeping with the light on eek redface

893 posts

Posted:
I've had friends say that it's better to sleep with no lights because then there aren't any shadows but I find it's better to have shadows that have a reason for existing rather than the shadows your mind creates in total darkness.

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...never considered anything about shadows...

As for things under the bed...mine was always one of them solid ones with storage under it and it had sliding doors, so if anything came out, i'd hear it i suppose biggrin

*then lean over to other side of bed...grab a bat and smack whatever comes out*

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
when i was little i don't particularly remember any monsters under the bed, but there were snakes that lived at the end of it who would bite my toes if i didn't wear socks....

ooohhh we have stairs at home that are quite old too and they creak back into place at night, i'm very capable of believing that actually an axe murderer has broken in and is creeping up the stairs....

weird shadows are one thing, ok, but they don't freak me so much as make me very curious, and i can spend ages awake trying to work out what the hell it is... it's kind of like cloud patterns you know, it looks like one thing, but then it looks like another, but then there's the extra dimension when you realise it can't possibly be either (because there aren't any people in the room, and you're pretty sure you put the velociraptor out for the night) so then you have to figure out what object it could possibly be making it. Okay so in fact most of the time i give in and turn the light on just to find out.... but otherwise it's a fun game.

I have woken up once in a completely black, no shadows room, got completely disorientated and thought i'd gone blind, then whacked my head on a cupboard....

uh... is this the kind of thing you want? i also managed to freak myself out recently by putting loads of playing cards stuck in the ceiling of my room, then i watched mulholland drive and went to bed in the dark, and although i don't remember what i thought the cards were, i DO know it temporarily scared the crap out of me.... biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
I saw the polymorph episode of red dwarf when i was about 6 and that thing scared the pants out of me

QuadDamagemember
130 posts

Posted:
I used to be sure things were moving when they were not, and I used to freak myself by thinking that I could be taken in the night by monsters or aliens or murderers or something. I was so scared when I saw Jaws at the age of 5 that I thought my bedroom might flood and the sharks would get me.

Then, I found the perfect way to deal with such fears. Be scarier.

If I hear creaking from elsewhere nowadays, I think "It may be a monster. Good." And pick up the closest weapon.
And if a velociraptor even thinks about coming out from under my bed in the night, I'll tear out it's trachea with my bare hands.

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
Written by: pricklyleaf

Hey guys!

Please help me!

For my final year project I'm looking at how the imagination warps things and sometimes you think something is different to what it really is, or something is there when its not.

I used to think there was a scary hand that lived under my bed that would grab me if I let anything overhang, so what was the monster under your bed? (or inside your closet).

Or did anything come alive at night?

(no bogey monsters please though!!! wink)

OMG I use to think that too.. i think it's just the ocd mind of some children creating something to make it just right.. or.. w/e

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

ChumpyBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
I had a crocodile who lived in a little crawl space in my room. And one day I crawled all the way to the end convinced that the crocodile was going to get me. I live to tell the tale! After that I had a laser beam fence around my bed so nothing could get me at night.
So apart from the wolf that I'm convinced lives in a woodland area near my old house I clear of my childish fears! Damn it, I forgot brussel sprouts....they're not real vegetables...they are the food of Satan and his minions. devil

And so ends my rant and 5th Cider and X-th smoke of the night
bye

Health is a secondary consideration when you have a lifestyle to maintain

Not seen a Banana do Double staff in the woods? You obviously weren't at that party!

'my guess would be staffers dont waste time talking bollox' - strugz

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: $niper

I saw the polymorph episode of red dwarf when i was about 6 and that thing scared the pants out of me

ubblol I loved that episode (scaredy cat lol)

I watched nightmare on elm street when I was ten - LilMiss SmartyPants was eight - and for about six weeks she couldnt get to sleep without holding my hand (bless)

ok, i drew crucifixes on the wall above our head, just in case....

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Watching the film Garbage Pail Kids when I was a kid scarred me for life. Although I knew it wasnt real, I couldnt sleep without socks on until I turned about16 because I thought that a crocodile like kid with white hair wanted to eat my toes. Your talking a good 10 years of irrational fear based on one kids film.

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
I also hate the feeling you get when you awaken from a nightmare where you've been chased, scared by someone/thing. One time, I had a dream that I was in bed, and there was one of those big, grey-headed aliens in my room.

I hurried woke myself up from said dream, and it felt as though there was somebody in the room behind me. So I turned the light on. Good ol' light, protector from all things that go bump in teh night. Was shaking for a while, it felt so real!

Haven't had a bad dream for a couple of years now. smile

(just jinxed myself? frown)

Willy - is bad for your health...

893 posts

Posted:
I had a really weird experience one time. I woke up really really scared and totally tripping out with paranoia. No nightmares, no dreams, nothing. Absolutely no reason that I could tell. Very scary situation.

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Ive done that... Still do...

I used to think my wardrobe was an elevator to hell... Real hell, not just demons, but daemons... Frightened me sick... And the gap in my curtains used to look like a giant...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, thanks for the quick and intressting responses! I found it intressting that a couple of you were scared of crocodiles as when I grew out of the hand (and was quite frankly, way too old to believe in things that go bump in the night!), I used to have to put the lid down and flush the toilet at night otherwise the crocodile would come out and get me!

It's also made me realise how important light and shadow is, maybe I could make everyday thigs that cast scary shadows. Also maybe I could do something with sound.

I also find it intresting how a lot of you fear for your toes! I've written a poem about the hand that says it likes to get peoples toes, I wonder why that is, Surley there are worse things to get eaten!

Anyway, carry on, anymore monsters or things on a similar theme?

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
I also had the feeling of waking up totally freaked for no good reason. Also i remember waking up one night and looking in the corner of my room and i saw what looked like tentacles growing from the corner and spreading down the wall, totally freaked me out but i blinked my eyes a couple of times and they just dissappeared. Also, after seeing or reading anything really scary i feel paranoid, as if something is watching me even though i dont know what ubbidea But other than that I sleep like a rock ubbtickled and never have nightmares (ever)

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
*Bump* I like the tenticles idea. Maybe I'll get some of my drawings for this project up in the gallery at some point. Heres another one on a similar theme, what shapes did you imagine the shadows were making? For instance I had a tree outside my window that looked like a hand (again with the hands) and I had a poster that when the light hit it in a certain way, looked like an evil face.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

KupschSILVER Member
163 posts

Posted:
it depends wether you are seeing things and are still totally sober...but when i was wee i used to watch "strange but true", there was a story about a girl whose dead granny used to come and sit on the end of her bed and crush her feet, i used to be so scared when i was in my bed that someone would sit on my feet but when i looked up i wouldnt be able to see them....what are you studying pricklyleaf?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I am the monster under the bed....I used to sleep under my old bed as a kid. coz it was like a little fort ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

893 posts

Posted:
Yeah faces seem to be a common thing in the shadows. Also a figure of someone or something. But usually you can rationalise shadows cast by real things by working out whats causing it. It's the shapes in total darkness that your mind feels the need to create that are the real problem as they can become anything in your imagination.

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
Written by:

used to think there was a scary hand that lived under my bed that would grab me.

played too much classic NES Zelda, huh?

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

BumfroIts a bum with an afro...
223 posts

Posted:
The monster under my bed an enormous dust pile

Racism is a weapon of mass destruction

Page: