SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I'm sure people would use it if you offer mail order too. Plymouth is a bit out of the way for a lot of people to just pop in.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
And don't forget, for everyone who says they will use it, plan on about 1% actually coming in to purchase, unless you are in a main shopping mall or other high-rent, high-traffic location.

To get a real idea of if it is worth it is not who will buy what, but what it will cost in $$ (sorry, pounds) and time to set up, maintain and most important, market. Don't forget, power phone and other consumables, and shoplifting, breakages, damage to the store inside and outside of working hours...

What hours were you planning on being open? 4 hours a day, 8 hours a day, and 7 days a week, 4 days a week... The time committment is what a lot of people aren't aware of until they begin in retail.

That is some of the early things to look at. Once you have a general idea of those, then start to plan marketing, margins and look at how much you wil need to sell to keep things going.

Plan on at least 20-40% of your year to lose money, and factor in high volume seasons to make up for that, especially at the start.

Does that help?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I work in retail and the over heads of having a physical shop are huge. That is why so many companies run as mail order/net shops only. You can run it from your home or from a small secure warehouse. As Charles pointed out, theft from shops really eats at your profit margins. Juggling equipment is small-ish and eminently shopliftable. Shop rents are enormous for good locations. Business rates, heating, electricity, shelving and display mounts, wear and tear on the shop.......all of these things add up.

I don't want to put you off because I'd encourage anyone trying to set up a business for themselves. Just make sure you do the sums and are realistic about what you can and can't do.

Do you have a market in Plymouth? If there is one maybe run mail order and a once weekly stall to see how it goes. Start small and build yourself up. that way you are less likely to over stretch your funds and end up without a pot to piss in biggrin

Good Luck!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I guess your main issue is competition - obviously not just from HoP, I could reel off 6 major retailers of juggling/poi etc shops in the UK, all of which do mail-order, and 2 in particular are very well established in the community...

By all means go for it - but I would think you'd need more of a guarantee of local custom than mail order as the mail order range is already well served and the bigger companies can offer their goods at lower prices (economies of scale and what-not)

smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
There are already some juggly shops in plymouth so you might want to check out the competition and make sure that you are able to offer people something different so they choose to shop with you

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Charles

And don't forget, for everyone who says they will use it, plan on about 1% actually coming in to purchase, unless you are in a main shopping mall or other high-rent, high-traffic location.

I'm pretty sure if a firespinner says they're gonna do something they'd do it. Otherwise people might think they're flakes. Most firespinners I know are punctual, factual, and have a large disposable income with which to purchase huge inventories of firespinning props.

I'd poll one or two people on the internet and then sink your life savings into the idea.

wink wink wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I'm pretty sure if a firespinner says they're gonna do something they'd do it. Otherwise people might think they're flakes. Most firespinners I know are punctual, factual, and have a large disposable income with which to purchase huge inventories of firespinning props.

I'd poll one or two people on the internet and then sink your life savings into the idea.

wink wink wink

That just amused me so much at work I had to pretend I was having a coughing fit. Then I dropped my cup of coffee into my handbag. Then a juggling ball fell off the top of my monitor into my glass of water. At least I provide free entertainment for my workmates...
EDITED_BY: Miranda (mewcat) (1125659933)

to live at all is miracle enough

Never mind have a lemonBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
MAKE IT NOW there is like no poi stores in the uk but derfinatly have mail order or move to somewhere less out of the way like london

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
umm

There's loads of poi stores in the UK...
And moving to London would be a stupid idea as there are already plenty of poi/juggling shops there...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Say 'London' and 'Juggling' together and the first thing that springs to mind is Oddballs in Camden town. Never been there but my friends have bought from there before and said it's pretty good.

You'd do pretty well in Birmingham city centre though i think...no real major juggling shops i've been able to find frown

It's better to burn out than to fade away

daisylouBRONZE Member
la di da di da
147 posts

Posted:
birmingham city centre rent would be very high and selly oak has a juggling and kite and magic shop which also does mail order which is only 3 stops by train out of the city or a 15min bus ride. for anyone who wants to know its opposite the retail park (sainsburys) on the bristol road

just a crazee daisy living in a crazy world

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Selly Oak does mailorder? How. They don't even have a website do they? I'd love for a juggling shop to open in Birmingham city centre. Or maybe just outside of it like in Digbeth or at the Custard factory. I work 9-6 in town mon to fri so getting to the Selly Oak shop is difficult.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
Selly Oak sucked for me cos I had to go to new street, get the train to selly oak, go to the shop where i bought some PC speakers and the box was huge (i didn't know this at the time) and it weighed like 10-12kgs.

I had to walk ALL the way back to the train station which was about half a mile to a mile with this awkward box and then carry it home frown

offtopic But it just had to be said, because it was so inconvenient for me because I'm in the city centre most of the time. Rent would be high, but considering someone suggested London at some point... shrug

daisylouBRONZE Member
la di da di da
147 posts

Posted:
pallasades would be cool, lots of people, free units, etc, but i guess the guy/gal lives in plymouth right wink

and that shrugging smilie is just genius

just a crazee daisy living in a crazy world

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
Pallasades would be cool now cos the link between Bull Ring and Pallasades opened up a while ago... but yeah...Plymouth ubblol

150 posts

Posted:
Maybe Jude should try setting up an Ebay shop and seeing how that does? It might at least provide some idea of the demand for other suppliers - I feel that with mail order the market might already be saturated, but I'll probably be proved wrong when Jude's shop is worth millions in a few years time!

I would be ALL for another juggling shop in Brum, but I suspect the rent in the centre would be too high... I've heard the Oasis is going to be flattened, otherwise maybe somewhere in there would be good? Although like Daisy say, I guess this person lives in Plymouth and all this discussion about Brum is probably a bit unnecessary!

893 posts

Posted:
The Pallasades used to have a shop called Air Adventures that sold kites and juggling stuff. Whatever happened to it? That place was cool.

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
Written by: Miranda (mewcat)

Oasis is going to be flattened

Oh my god, NOOOOOOooOOOoOOoOOOooooooo.... that place is cool though, it's got everything from bondage gear to bongs... biggrin

I think the situation with ebay is a bit risky, since a lot of people are actually selling crap on there so to be honest, I don't know how you would get people to trust you. At that kinda point, you might as well only have an online store and sell your stuff from home and save yourself some rent money confused

*Really wants a juggling store in Birmingham* frown

150 posts

Posted:
I don't remember the place in the Pallisades... was it more than 5 years ago? I'm sure I'd have been there!

I hope this whole knocking down the Oasis business is just a rumour, but I've heard it from a few people now... frown Poor Oasis. Oh well, it'll make my life cheaper as I won't have so much opportunity to buy stuff I don't need.

893 posts

Posted:
They are in a whole regenaration mode thingy with most of Birmingham so it may be on the cards. I hope not but the area could do with a bit of a re-vamp. They can't take the market away from outside tho. Thats the only place I can get my jeans from (baggy as you like but the waist fits and they're only 20 squid).
Last time I went to Air Adventures must have been at least 5 or 6 years ago. I was still in senior school at the time.