Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Ok - I read through a lot of posts searching for the answer to this silly question - but no answer comes to me...everyone still calls it just karo.

Karo as fuel - is it karo (syrup) or short for kerosene?

I'm never going to live this down :? This is shameful, I know.

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Im not sure about kAro (it may just have been a spelling mistake?)

but you were indeed correct - Kero is indeed short for Kerosene smile

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Its a generic term for any fuel that can be used for poi or any other fire art. It covers kerosene, paraffin, lamp oil and mixtures of the above.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Written by: One Forgotten Soul

Its a generic term for any fuel that can be used for poi or any other fire art. It covers kerosene, paraffin, lamp oil and mixtures of the above.

meh? is this a UK slang term?
any fuel? isn't that a dangerous practice to not differentiate fuels of differing flashpoint? i am confused.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Most things that I've used that are branded as Lamp Oil or Paraffin are exactly the same thing and (correct me if I'm wrong) the same thing is called Kerosene in the States and they tend to have very similar flashpoints. I didn't include Coleman's in the list because because I only use it for tracing and trails nad petrol, as we all know, is a nono.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
and, so it makes more sense.

things get flipped around when it's an international crowd smile

thank you much.

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I would hesitate to say that they are exactly the same thing.
please perform a search to find previous discussions on fuel choices, particularly the health implications of burning impurities (eg coloured flames)

i like stuff.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
kerosene is another name for parraffin. Lamp oil is parraffin just usually a bit purer and more expensive than the basic bottles of parraffin you find.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Written by: icon

Charcoal Lighter Fluid isnt a good spinning fuel.

Written by: Fire Spirit

karo is good, but stinky!

Written by: knagi

I've found two places by me that I can get karo from and thier both gas stations, However one of them serves like a white almost clear karo and the other one is dark red anyone know which is better? They both burn about the same.

Good to know about the charcoal lighter fluid, 'cause me being a bbq freak - you know that's what I would have used smile lol!

That last quote from Knagi lets me know that I can get kerosene from gas stations. I'll have to pay attention when I'm out putting all my money into my gas tank.

However, the second statement from Fire Spirit lets me know that I'll get some funny looks after spinning with kerosene smile

much thanks

"I'm your Huckleberry."

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Well, to be honest, I've never heard of something specifically called 'Karo'. The only thing I've heard people use were paraffin (also called kerosene in the US mainly) and lamp oil.

In the UK, the only place I've found paraffin realistically are DIY stores.
(So stupid cos the brand or something is called Parasene, so you ask a shop assistant if they got paraffin or kerosene and they say 'sorry, we only got parasene'... umm)

It's better to burn out than to fade away

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
And Lamp oil is not purer, its actually got more additives in it than kerosene!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Charles

And Lamp oil is not purer, its actually got more additives in it than kerosene!

There have been endless discussions about the pros and cons of kerosene and lamp oil. I'd suggest finding many of the already started threads comparing fuels and continue discussing the issue in the appropriate thread. wink

There is no such thing as Karo. It is a misspelling of Kero, short for kerosene.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

There is no such thing as Karo. It is a misspelling of Kero, short for kerosene.

There is indeed such a thing as Karo, it's a syrup that was used to make fake blood for the Evil Dead films, and assorted other completely useless to us uses wink tongue

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

jinvincibleGOLD Member
king of the hedgehogs
125 posts

Posted:
Written by: thelost_seraph

The only thing I've heard people use were paraffin (also called kerosene in the US mainly) and lamp oil.

Kerosene is in the paraffin class of aliphatic hydrocarbons, but it is not the same as liquid paraffin. Lamp oil usually contains some liquid paraffin, but in general it is a generic term used to describe a flammable liquid to put into an oil lamp. Neither option burns very cleanly, and they both tend to smoke (and some smell more than others). Using something as close to 100% pure liquid paraffin (99% should be good enough) is going to give you the cleanest burn, and you can clean and brighten it up by adding some white petroleum into the mix (Coleman fuel, in the US).

Yellow and blue make green.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
But that would only give you an orange flame. How would you go about getting different colored flames?

*Bangs head against computer and quietly tiptoes out of Technical*

wink wink wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/colouredflames.php

There are several threads in this forum and several easily found sites on the net but that covers most of it, especially highlighting the negative effects of using coloured flames.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah