Page:
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I don't normally have a problem with it that I know of, I mean now and then of course I wind up sounding more like a broken record than a person....

But today its been ridiculous :/
I've been getting more random vowels per sentence than actual words....
(usually i, for whatever reason, seems to be the worst, altho the start of a sentence can always be tricky...)

And I'm just sooo embarreseed.... redface redface

I don't really know what to do about it, I can stop and individual case once i kind of figure out what I'm doing by taking a deep breath, but sometimes i just start stuttering again once I try talking!

Anyone else have any expirience for controlling stutters?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Try imagining everyone you speak to is actually naked.

smile

Im doing that to you right now.. ubbangel

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
aw, bless, i needed a compliment right about now, i'm insane over it...

I really don't think that would help in any of these cases tho tongue

Like, at all.... tongue

I'm especially fussed tho because i called someone i rather care about and i coudln't get a single sentence out after the first one without a *mess* of issues....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
hey kyrian,
sorry to hear about your stuttering. It must be horrible for you, but dont be embarrassed or ashamed of it. It's not your fault and anyone who isnt understanding really isnt worth the effort!
When i was on prozac a couple of years back I got a really bad stutter and I had nervous trembles, i've not been on prozac for a long time, and i still stutter sometimes.
I really dont know what to suggest, but be proud of yourself, and dont let the bastards get you down! x x x x x

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
no-ones taken issue with it yet, i just feel like an idiot!

I mean.... yeaugh. I call to try and continue a conversation, and, and, I wind up sounding like a parrot or something....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I stammer quite a bit, dosn't bother me that much just gets a bit annoying at times.
When I am having trouble I prefer to make a joke about it rather than get embaressed, and motion the person I'm speaking to, to help me along.

Stop, breath, start again

hug

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Fair enough, just hard on the end of the phone.... and like, when its once or twice, ok, but i was more than 50% stutter.....

Just such a nervous making call in the first place, I thinks my head stopped working....

And even earlier today.... its like a stutter bug got into my head, not more than 50% any other time, but just., well, not talking per se...

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
dont worry kyrian, thanks to the megaweb, phone calls are becoming a thing of the past!
i know it doesnt solve anything,
how about practicing making phone calls? It may seem a bit silly. but if you KNOW what you're going to say, or write it down, it might be easier.
I used to get so panicky i had to write my phone conversations down. but its a good strategy, and they cant see you at the other end of the phone blushing!! xxx

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
You could try singing scentences you have problems with

Hooow are you -doooooing- ooooo baby

lol, ewhen you sing you use different muscles than talking, thats why ozzy ozbourne can sing but sounds like a decrepid old man when he talks.

roen Aktinson (black adder dude) stutters but you would never know, he has a particular problem with the letter B. Thats why whenever he says Boldrick it comes out more like B-oldric. He really forces the words in his scentence out so he can deliver lines.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Nerves were the main thing for me, even on the telephone...believe it or not, i used to write bullet points on a sheet of paper to remind myself what i need to say even when i'm phoning up a shop because i get nervous and stammer/forget things...

Just remember, you're not alone and it's nothing to be embarrassed about. hug

It's better to burn out than to fade away

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
lol, brit joe, you are a very funny and clever man!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Nothing to be embaressed about?

"Hi, I called you to finish our conversation but i can't actually talk, so...."

i mean, at least relatives already love or hate you lol...

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
A lot of people are more understanding than your think...It's not actually uncommon and if they KNOW you stutter and are used to it, you don't notice it anymore.
My friend stuttered a lot in school and he managed to turn it around and make it funny because he was able to laugh at himself.

Kinda reminds me of that old Ronnie Barker comedy 'Open All Hours' or something.

If you still feel embarrassed, then the only thing I can say is don't over-analyse your 'problem' with stuttering. It'll just make you more depressed etc...I've had my fair share in life already and I haven't hit 20 yet.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Stuttering can be a right ****! Once it starts it can just get worse as you get nervous, which causes more stuttering.

I used to stutter and have speech problems due to the fact that I grew up surrounded by too many languages. I found that if I took my time and thought out the words in my head before I said them I could get by ok. I ended up doing several years of regular speech training and used to be very good at improvising long speeches without obvious hesitation, stuttering or saying 'er' just by pacing myself and not rushing. It's served me very well many times since.

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
'Er...' plagued me for years... frown
Considering I was really shy like 2-3 years ago, I hated when the public speaking thing came round because I'd always get people laughing at me because I'd say 'er' like 5 times before i can get a sentence out. Kinda panned out after i started gaining more confidence.

Never had the problem of stuttering because of multiple languages though, but then again i was brought up on two languages that i used daily.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Is it kinda like hiccoughs? If you ignore it, or do something to take your mind off it then it'll go away? Just thought that maybe if you think "Oh crud, I'm stammering" then you'll go all self conscious and end up making it worse. If that's the case, concentrate really hard on something, be it the persons face, or something over their left shoulder. They might give you a funny looks for staring, but you only need to do it until the stammer disappears.

However that may be nothing like what it's like, so as always, feel free to ignore me biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
With my kids they said to stop, take a breathe and try again. I think more than a 3% stutter is clinical.

Usually the breathe thing works with them to iron out the bumps but it takes work from all of us.

The idea of practicing difficult sounds a good one but with my guys it seemed almost random. No actual one sound is the problem whereas you seem to have recognised whats hard for you.

I think a speechie might be a good idea to see what the problem might be. ADHD meducation also made one of my boys stutter worse. As does nervous tension.

Sorry cant offer more help

Here is some help for parents, can you get a good friend to do this sort of stuff as well. If the telephone is a real problem can you do some practice online over msn or yahoo with some friendly Hopper?

https://www.stutteringhelp.org/

Speak with your child in an unhurried way, pausing frequently. Wait a few seconds after your child finishes speaking before you begin to speak.

Your own slow, relaxed speech will be far more effective than any criticism or advice such as "slow down" or "try it again slowly."

Reduce the number of questions you ask your child. Children speak more freely if they are expressing their own ideas rather than answering an adult's questions. Instead of asking questions, simply comment on what your child has said, thereby letting him know you heard him.

Use your facial expressions and other body language to convey to your child that you are listening to the content of her message and not to how she's talking.

Set aside a few minutes at a regular time each day when you can give your undivided attention to your child. During this time, let the child choose what he would like to do. Let him direct you in activities and decide himself whether to talk or not. When you talk during this special time, use slow, calm, and relaxed speech, with plenty of pauses.

This quiet, calm time can be a confidence-builder for younger children, letting them know that a parent enjoys their company. As the child gets older, it can be a time when the child feels comfortable talking about his feelings and experiences with a parent.

Help all members of the family learn to take turns talking and listening. Children, especially those who stutter, find it much easier to talk when there are few interruptions and they have the listeners' attention.

Observe the way you interact with your child. Try to increase those times that give your child the message that you are listening to her and she has plenty of time to talk. Try to decrease criticisms, rapid speech patterns, interruptions, and questions.

Above all, convey that you accept your child as he is. The most powerful force will be your support of him, whether he stutters or not.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I didn't notice it at all at Falmouth...

I just thought you were lovely smile

hug

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I just noticed this summer that I have a slight stutter. I rarely get caught on a word for more than a second, so I really don't mind it. Apparently, it used to be worse when I was in elementry school, but it was never a hinderance. I'd always wondered why I had needed speech therapy, it never seemed to do much.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
I've been having a kind of similar problem-whenever I have to give a speech in my public speaking class, my voice starts to quiver, and it sounds like i'm going to cry. This never happens when I talk normally, only when I have to say something in class. I would just write it off to nervousness, but I never even feel that nervous before giving a speech-It's entirely physical. The other thing is that it never happens when I am acting in a play.Very strange, and very embarassing, and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it! So Kyrian, I can definitely empathise with your situation.

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
i get all my words jumbled up and then i start stuttering and mumbling, normally only when i am tired

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
I have a problem where whenever I talk, my brain works about twenty times to fast for my mouth and I end up switching around letters in words... It can be quite frustrating when you can't get your point across grouphug

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Its never been as bad in person as it was when i was on the phone that afternoon! My god.... I couldn't talk at alll.....

And like, the more in front of a group i am, the less likely it is, but when its just one person, sometimes its just ridiculous....

glad to hear i'm not alone anyway. everyone seems very understanding, just, yeah, and as i was told they would have talked but i seemed to be having trouble with it (so we chose email) i still feel a little bad tho- i mean- its not likely to get better then, is it?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
It might just be something in your life now. As your comfort level rises maybe the stuttering will decrease. You could practice whole sentances to use on the phone. Write them down even and practice. I used to do this for evil answering machines, now I can ramble for the whole message.
hug hug

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Thanks for everything guys... (I've been out of town).

Its gotten bad again- I may just be too stressed. Its not the only weird physical thing which has been happening to me lately, it just annoys me the most because i value being able to talk.....

twice in the last 30 minutes, today must not be a good day.. (and not even on the phone, either :/)

I just had to stop talking entirely eventually, as it wasn't working...

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
Twice in 30 mins isn't bad at all to be honest. I know people who stutter every 4 or 5 sentences and they muddle their way through it...

Just try to relax and be more cheerful or joke about it when you actually do stutter. I just didn't notice in the end because I knew it was part of their speech patterns.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I think it might be a bit better to stutter when you're talking to one person, as opposed to many people, because then they're not going to be looking at each other and rolling their eyes. They're actually (If they're nice) going to be encouraging and listen to what you have to say. People are so evil when they're in groups.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I suppose I am quite lucky on the face of it!

Its just very hard when you're talking to a boy you fancy and you can't say anything... not anything right, just anything....

not that he even remembers at this point (unlike, say, my housemate who just kind of ignores it) but er, its still embaressing!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Well if he doesn't remember, forget it!

It's in the past, gone and over. Dust in the Air, Ripples in the water.

Dismiss it from your mind, and I'm absolutely positive it'll get better.

(Sometimes it's better to not be able to say things, often I say the *wrong* thing with worse consequences than if I'd just kept my mouth shut biggrin )

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
my sister has a stutter. it used to be shocking when she was little, and a speech therapist suggested that mum encouraged her to sing when she was having trouble. i think it was something to do with using a different part of the brain for singing then language, so you bypass where the problem is. not to practical when you're talking to someone and you want to be serious, singing to your boss that you want a raise or something ubblol

i also saw a doco about a guy who had a stroke, and it really affected his language, but whenever he put on an accent, he could speak really clearly, so he was always talking in accents. so give that a go, but again, none too practical for asking for a raise.

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
One of my old housemates used to stutter ridiculous amounts, sometimes it was so bad, it would take him minutes to say just 3 or 4 words. Yes it is incredibly embarrasing, I stutter ocaisionally, and sometimes I even forget words mid sentence and just kinda sit there making goldfish faces. Thing is I found was that the sort of people that would think less of you for it, aren't really the sort of people worth bothering with.

Page: