Forums > Social Chat > A request for recycled fabric

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I wasn't sure which forum to put this in so I put it in here, although I have a feeling it will get lost pretty quickly.

Anyway......

Next year at the Play festival I was hoping to make a large-ish communial art work. I was thinking along the lines of a large canvas/piece of paper to which we attach smaller art works into a collage. I had thought of making a bird out of Festival goers hand prints, using the hand prints as feathers, but as we are a bunch of fire spinners how about a fire with a pheonix coming out of the flames?

I also thought it would be nice if the younger visiters to the festival got to be a bit artistic. After a bit of thinking I came up with the idea of me making a whole load of blank Faery/Elf/Bat wings and letting the children paint them up with glitter and fabric paints. Once they had dried off over night the kids could do a bit of a parade of the Faery/bat/elf/pixie folk around the site to show off their work. After the festival they would get to take them home to remind them of the fun they had. The wings are made of a wire frame with tights stretched over them.

If I can find enough fabric to recycle I might even try making a Play rag rug with the Play Logo across it. I'm going to have to work out how and if it could be done.

So, what I want to ask you good people of HoP to do for me is to save any stockings/tights that are pretty colours or black (no flesh tones please as they look odd as wings) that are pass their wear by date. If they have holes or ladders in them don't throw them out as I can probably recycle them. All I ask is you wash them before sending them to me smile .

If I do work out how to make the rug I will also be looking for donations of fabric. It will have to be a cotton based fabric so that I can dye it the right colours for the rug. Old cotton sheets would be great, or cotton shirts that have got a bit frayed at the edges... that kind of thing.

For the Communal art work I'd need donations of paint, paper and or canvas. If you have tins of enamel house paint with just a dribble left in them or poster paints you no longer think you need, paper you can spare, Canvases that you don't mine us painting over......

Basically this idea will only work if enough people get behing it. Recycling unwanted things into art works can be rewarding and fun. I can't do it on my own and the play festival is on a very tight budget and won't be able to fund it.

If you feel you would like to help out with this by donating items or would like to get more involved by being part of the team that runs all this just PM me.

Thank you.
ubbrollsmile

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

Dave(bird) who loves his car with a passion won't let me have his to paint whilst he is away. That was all hug Sorry I didn't mean to confuse you hun.

No worries, I just get confused with the language barrier and not being current on so many 'in' threads.

But if you ever want to make me smile, just call me 'hun' in real life. biggrin You could come up with a few more cute and freindly terms of endearment to surprise me with. hug

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

Thumper I've heard tell of this wonderful place before but never been able to find it. I'm not certain that it hasn't shut down. There was talk about it closing a couple of years ago due to cuts in funding by the council. Thats if I'm thinking of the same place as you. They got donations from local manufacturers of scrap that would have ended up in skips in return for them collecting it and taking it away. They allowed schools and play services to join and use the recycled parts for a small annual fee.

Yes this is the very place I am on about. It hasn't shut down as my sister does voluntary work for them. I shall try and find the opening times and stuff for you.

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Thank you muchly hun hug

ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
Here you, hope this helps. I think this is the website. It has opening times, address, contact information and membership stuff. https://www.playright.org.uk/main.html

If you need more detailed instructions on how to get there, just contact me. I can give you directions from like anywhere around swansea :P

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
skull i have some stuff for you i think you will like smile

do you want me to post it to you or will you be at BJC smile
EDITED_BY: Mint Sauce (1142085924)

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
"stuff", Minty? Do I need to get worried now ubblol

I am hoping to be at the BJC. Is it going to be hard to transport on public transport ubblol

Give me some clues... I'm all curious now!

Thanks for the link Thumper. I'll go down and check the place out.

Page: