FrederikSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
After my question about leahter and nylon loops, i´ve an other question for people who have experience with fire poi..i haven´t yet...and this is one of the things i want to know before buying a pair of fire poi..:

There are two pairs of chain cords:

1) Pair of #15 ball chain cords c/w quick links and
2) Pair of 3mm ultimate SS TWIST OVAL chain cords c/w quick links

Which one is better?

I think the second because i'm afraid that the balls will break open while i'm spinning..but...i'm not sure about that because i haven't any experience with fir poi.

Can anybody give me some advise?

Thanks smile

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
everyone has their own preference - i'm sure this subject has been discussed before! (try doing a search!)

ball chain is wont come undone - i spin with HoP beaming poi which are very heavy!

And they hurt like hell!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Ball and chain cords are smoother to swing, but can't carry as much weight as the oval ones, plus ball and chain is like a ball-bearing all the way along the chain, so it's more likely to wear out and snap.

Oval chains can hold a lot more weight and because they're welded, they're not that likely to snap even after years of use

It's better to burn out than to fade away

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I tend to use twist oval chains for my fires although I do have a cable pair too. i've tried ball chains and like them but I think they're better for lighter weight poi (don''t flame me if I'm wrong). Chains will allow you to add extra fire heads later on and can be shortened more easily, however, chains are a pain in the ass for hyperloops. Balls aren't as easy to shorten but are easier to perform some tricks with.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I shortened my ball chains by three links last night
it was so hard to cut through the straight bit. also the link that connects the chain to the quick link was sooo difficult to prise open.

I now have callouses on my hands frown

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible