Forums > Help! > Can't download from community-videos!

Login/Join to Participate

EBabanewbie
10 posts

Posted:
Hi! Could anyone help me? When I try to download a video from community-videos I just get the file display_usa.php, or sometimes another extension (.avi .wmv etc.) Tried using both ie and firefox, right clicking save as, and even entering the url straight into various media players with no luck. The videos on forums-videos come down fine. Searched for references but doesn't seem like anyone else has the same problem. An ideas out there?

What we really, really, need is more hours in the day

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
whoever wrote the video support for the photo galleries doesn't seem to quite understand (or hasn't read) the http protocol specs, as it doesn't output to the browser when you click the link what the filename or size of the video is. It's currently sending:

1 HTTP/1.1 200 OK

2 Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:35:51 GMT

3 Server: Apache/2.0.50 (Fedora)

4 X-Powered-By: PHP/4.3.10

5 Connection: close

6 Content-Type: video/avi

It should also be sending "Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=\"filename.avi\"", "Accept-Ranges: bytes" and "Content-Length: ". Basically at the moment, your browser knows it should be treated like an avi file but doesn't know the filename, so guesses given the filename on the server, which is a php file. It also has no idea what the size of it is either, so it won't show a percentage of how much is downloaded. Whether or not it will actually show on your computer depends how exactly it's setup, but the coding is currently quite amateurish.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
red hats itch my scalp so.
whhy?!!??

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
i get that at times - try clearing your temp files or just make note of the file name and rename it from display_usa when u save it.

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Just copy the link, open your media player of choice, and paste the URL in the box. There should be a "open URL" option in the file menue.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Happy b-day sparkey! biggrin

I dont know whats worse! Not being able to d/l from hop or not having enough space left to upload your vidyo frown

6,978 posts

Posted:
rapidshare.de wink

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
eek hug Thanks Bender wave Made my day...

EBabanewbie
10 posts

Posted:
Right. Seem to have got it working okay now- with a bit of tinkery tinkering. Thanks for the tips! smile

What we really, really, need is more hours in the day

6,978 posts

Posted:
i just presumed that the save file name was left as display_usa.php as a leech deterrent.
This is sensible for a free website offering a king's bounty in multimedia downloads.
Mi'lord.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i can think of less tacky ways to stop leechers

6,978 posts

Posted:
yes i agree, but you know that stalking is illegal in most places!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
cool, glad it helped. I assumed it was part of the photo software your using as opposed to something written by HoP, i wouldn't have slagged it off had i known wink