Forums > Technical Discussion > What's your fav wick design amd why?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Stick ManBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
This is a personal preference poll. What’s you favorite wick design and why?

Cathedrals are my favorite wick design because of the flame intensity you get with them. I’m making a 4” by 7” set right now that should throw a pretty big flame. I like big heavy heads you can slow down and that burn so big you have people saying HOLY [censored] before you start spinning.devil
I’ve never burned with monkey fist wicks or hybrids before. And I don’t like the exposed metal on most tube core wicks. And even though rolled wicks are what I learned with and are also great if you like spinning fast. Since I started to use cathedrals I find them to be too light.

I ain't been around the world, but I've been around the block. I ain't seen everything, but I've seen enough to talk. I'm not a prophet, I'm not the 2nd comming of christ. I'm just a mason with a will to build and a little advice.

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ma'tina

so what exactly do you reckon is hard on doing moves with monkey fists???

I'm not going to try to speak for Dster, but I find that heavy poi have more inertia, they stay beautifully in their planes, but they resist moving from the plane. This makes some moves, like say flowers, easier because they are more forgiving, little wobbles in plane control dissapear, however other moves that require you to alter their path take a bit more oomph!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I can understand that... but, like any different poi, I think it just takes a bit of practice to get used to a new set smile

Using your hips and body movement to give the poi that bit more oomph and momentum helps...

But, it's all poi at the end of the day smile

Best wishes for the new year x

Getting to the other side smile

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Exactly, I have a *lot* of sets in different styles, most of which are pretty equivalent in their pros and cons, all of which I generally enjoy spinning, but for different reasons, my favourite depends on my mood, the conditions etc.

When I spin with fire, I usually spin both my cathedrals and my rolled heads (in turn one while the other is soaking in fuel). When I spin without fire, I mix up heavy socks, light socks, heavy tailed poi, and flags, depending on what aspects I want to focus on. Generally I use slightly heavier poi (I use tennis ball socks just for slo-mo learning tricky new stuff) but not usually heavier than about 135g. My standard practice set are foxysocks with juggling thuds in.

I do also find that drag helps a lot with heavy poi, tails (or flames for that matter) seem to slow them down and allow them to stay in the air while moving slowly and gracefully.

DsterBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
Well see when i do not have the wickes burning . i can do alot of moves . but i do not know how to put them all as one move . Like right now i am trying to work on the flower . i understand how it is done . i just need more time to work with them .
When i fire up my wicks i get in a zone were i dont think of what i am doing i just do it . it is like i dont think of anything i just do it . i do more of a dance . and some time i just get were i keep doing the same 4 moves .
and then when i get out of the zone i go in to my fire chucks . or what my frends would call body raps.
I wish there was more people that eather live or drive down here to spinn with us .

DsterBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
I do youes my body alot . see i do alot of dance . i dont like to stand in one spot and spinn . I am trying to get a cam so i can show u guys how i spinn . them u guys could help me out .

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Am sure you're doing fine smile

Getting to the other side smile

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Oh, I forgot to say, in my gallery I have some piccies comparing my fire heads.

Here is a rolled head: https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/display.php?image=/500/34766IMG_3374.jpg

Here is a cathedral:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/display.php?image=/500/34766IMG_3419.jpg

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
@kash: how does a fire head in the shape of a cathedral look???
in general i would stick to monkey fists, not only because of their weight .....i do love the shape of the flame as well!
but for your examples i would say the cathedral looks bigger with fire than the rolled head, but the rolled head looks much more beautiful with fire! wink but these are just my thoughts so far!

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

DsterBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
Is the Flame as big as the monkey?

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dster

Is the Flame as big as the monkey?

can't be, can it????
unless you make your own in a extra big version!?!

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
I rather like the cathedrals.

I've made a monkeyfist using rope before, but have never had the opportunity to try a fire set.

My first poi set though had this odd fold design, sorta like a variation of the cathedral I think.

~ Neser

Fuel your fascination, burn your desire and dance with flames

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
normal, woven wicks. 100mm wide and a metre long on each end of your staff, now thats a good flame!!! ha ha

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Hana4BRONZE Member
burner
90 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kombi guy

Ive always been a fan of Cathedrals but of late have been using the
4" stitched roll poi heads.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails.php/249_45_stitched

They dont have a Tubcore centre just a thin eyebolt meaning no aluminium just wick and no metal other than the stainless steel eyebolt, with no screws also...
So the weight is kept down (personal preference) Having the least amount of metal out of all the poi heads we have on the site that are not wire or monkeyfists makes them one of my favs at present....While still giving long burn times and large flames...
smile ubbrollsmile smile

I like the idea of the stiched rolled heads but how exactly is the wicking held onto the eyebolt in the middle. Is it just glue? And if so, how long does that last? And how do I remove the wick when I want to replace it if it's all glued on? confused

DsterBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
I am thinking about getting a set of snakes.

I think i can move alot better with them .

as least it will not have as much lbs as the monkey.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Right now I think this is my favorite:
https://www.salza.se/images/products/fullimages/106.jpg

I find any stall to be easier with these shapes ( tube-like ) since the weight is devided along the wick instead of like one single "clump" like a monkey fist.

These are on the heavy side of poi, at least I think they are. They do have really wonderful big flames. As previoulsy mentioned heavy stuff keep in their planes pretty well, which is ok for me. They arn't too heavy to manipulate at all either, no no =)

Yeye, I love em =)

DsterBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
this is why i want to get some new wicks .
i have the monkey.

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
monkey fists rule
then tubecore (preferable with a double length wick)
then kevlar rope (monkey fist ends are always an option)
but i personaly don't like cathedrals coz i find the aerodynamics are off.

Just my opinion.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Page: