Forums > Social Chat > Eeeeeevil people at work

Login/Join to Participate

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
My marker (and normal, but that's not so bad cause companies keep throwing them at scientists) pens keep getting stolen from my desk and out of my labcoat, and it's not very nice! Because of course, they always go missing when you need them most...

Any other really annoying things people do where you work?

Any ideas how I can stop people from stealing my pens?
So far I've considered that dye banks put on their banknotes to catch thieves because their hands change colour. But I don't know how to get hold of it. The other alternative would be an irritant chemical, but I might accidentally touch them myself without gloves, and the thief might be wearing gloves...

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
I wrapped my marker pens in biohazard tape which makes most people slightly nervous.

I've also hidden them, carried them with me at all times and shouted at the offenders.

My final and most sucessful tactic has been to buy pens from America that don't look like the normal ones so that people don't recognise them smile

As for normal pens - I collected all the freebie ones you get and old biros from my desk drawers and have a stash so large no one can dent it.

Failing that you could always go steal pencils from Ikea hug

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Nah, biohazard doesn't scare toxicologists. Having said that, my friend Patryk used to put stickers with "human lung tissue" on bottles he didn't want to share, and that worked... but people know I don't put that in my pen wink

Actually it might be the builders, cause someone has even stolen a clock off the wall, and there's about 2 of them per room and they are dead ugly, so noone in my group would want them ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
I HATE IT when my pens go missing. I have tried putting fluro dots sticker (like that will fit on top of a 1.5ml eppi tube) on on mine, but that doesn't always work. Now I just keep a ball point and 4 sharpies in my lab coat and that seems to keep them around.

At one point I was so fed up with people taking my pens that I was griping to co-workers about it and way over-labeling things as mine. They were so amused that as soon as I left the room they stole and hid all of the pens. It was quite a riot.

OK, time for me to share my BIGGEST pet peeve at work: people who whistle incessantly. It makes me crazy, ridiculously enraged, it irks me to say the least. We have one main and one secondary offender. The main offender even whistles in the bathroom on the crapper! Give it a rest, man! I often find myself having to use my iPod to keep from huritng myself or others.

Venting over.

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
What are sharpies?

I had a BIG rant to one of my colleagues today about how my favourite pen was missing! The bad thing is, we've just moved, so NOTHING is where it should be, and things haven't been ordered for months, and I can't find anything as it is without people stealing my favourite pen wink Anyways, Paul took the chance to go "Look, there's Rodger/Craig/Ellen/..., he/she has your pen!" for the rest of the afternoon to annoy me. And to think I shared my caramel slices with that silly Irishperson!!! wink

Labels don't seem to help at all, I think they just show whoever steals them that they're actually stealing a GOOD pen ubblol

I sing at work. Is that bad, too?

(G.W. Dahlquist)

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
These are Sharpies

Sorry, for some reason I thought that Sharpies would be universal. I obviously need to travel.

Would have to hear your singing before I could judge that wink

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i have a sharpie smile

nicked it from kmart (kept it when i quit). Good texta, really. tis a black chisel point.

/random

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Phew. For a moment I actually thought JerryD was having sharp objects in his pocket to keep others from sticking their fingers in!

*goes to sign up for anti-aggression therapy* wink

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Sharpies are what I have and the foolish folk in my lab don't recognise them as markers smile Especially when they are two ended :bwahahaha:

I have one person at work who has recently entirely lost his sense of personal space and stands almost on top of me whilst trying to read things over my shoulder. I've found that standing up suddenly, shooting my chair backwards into his knees and telling him off all at once works a treat.

*follows Birgit to the AAT meeting* wink

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Whenever you get a new marker pen, stamp on it. The resulting dented marker achieves 2 things: People don't want to steal manky old dented pens, and dented pens don't roll off desks smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
oooooh ubblol I bow to your superior pen-keeping skills! hug

(G.W. Dahlquist)