MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
OK, so I was listening to Digitally Imported Radio, trance channel, and a track came on by --get this-- a "DJ Cellulitis."

Cellulitis is a skin infection by a bacterium that has the ability to eat away the goop between the cells that normally prevents infections from spreading. Thus, the infection spreads rapidly. It is characterized by a red, warm, and painful region on the skin that spreads rapidly (over a few hours) to cover a large area. It is almost always accompanied by fever and malaise (a general feeling of illness). Cellulitis is a medical emergency that must be treated with IV antibiotics and usually involves a few days in hospital for observation.

Now, I have seen some DJ names with medical/biological significance (DJ Hypertrophy is a cool example), but DJ Cellulitis? That's just stupid. What next, "DJ Metastatic Hemangiocarcinoma"?

Incidentally, if I ever find the time and money to get into spinning, I reserve "DJ Syncope" (fainting) for myself.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
DJ Flynt here....

*sheepish grin*

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
If I ever get to dj, which I hope to do maybe during grad school, I'll simply go by Jello I hope I don't get sued, I mean Special K or Spree havn't gotten sued yet so I should be in the clear.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Funnier still are local band names. I always open up the village voice and look at the bandlistings just to giggle... There was this local glam band that goes by "Mike Hunt". Between every song the lead singer makes a horrible pun. "You'll have to excuse us, its raining out and we're all excited so Mike Hunt is a little wet tonight..." "Stick around and you'll see much more of Mike Hunt this evening"... etc...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
Funnier still are local band names. I always open up the village voice and look at the bandlistings just to giggle... There was this local glam band that goes by "Mike Hunt". Between every song the lead singer makes a horrible pun. "You'll have to excuse us, its raining out and we're all excited so Mike Hunt is a little wet tonight..." "Stick around and you'll see much more of Mike Hunt this evening"... etc...
OK, but local band names are SUPPOSED to be funny. We have a "Pork Tornado" around here.

But DJ pseudonyms are supposed to sound cool, not make you laugh. DJ Lithium sounds cool. DJ Hypertrophy sounds cool. Hypertrophy is the psyologic enlargement of an organ by cellular enlargement. If you lift weights, then your muscles undergo hypertrophy. See, THAT'S a cool DJ name. DJ Tachycardia would be a cool name if people could pronounce it (that's an accelerated heart rate). But naming yourself after a nasty disease? Given, I'm probably one of the few people other than DJ Cellulitis himself who knows what it means, but still...

-Mike

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Well I'm a drum and bass DJ and I go by the name of DJ Salinger as The Catcher in the Rye is my fave book, it's got a twistedly dark undertone and it's quite a nice letter play with JD and DJ.

However, you should see how many other DJ's there are out there! I know of at least 2 DJ Salinger's in the US, thankfully House DJ's, but it goes to show how hard it is to get your own name these days. Cellulite may be extreme but it's unique at least. And quite often it's meant to reflect the tone of the toons, like how 'rejected placenta remix' isn't shocking in the world of Jungle but to the lay person would be pretty grotty!

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by pyrophile:

Cellulite may be extreme but it's unique at least.

Cellulite is stubborn fat deposits on the buttocks and thighs. That would be a truly laughable DJ name, although the confusion between cellulitis and cellulite is another reason not to chose Cellulitis as a DJ name.

Anthrax would be a cook DJ name, but a band got it. How about DJ Aureus (from Staphlycoccus aureus)? I think that would be a cool name based on an infectious disease.

-Mike

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I know a Dj called DJ Donut!

He's a nice guy - no idea how he got to Donut.. but hey - each to their own!

oh and my friends had a band called 'Stray Headbutt'

[ 05 November 2002, 05:37: Message edited by: Stix ]

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

iluminaryfaeriemember
89 posts

Posted:
hey jello, there's already a dj jelo and dj jelo would be illegal

orangu-funking-tan

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
I have to agree with pyrophile on this one. as a DJ I learned that so many DJ names are already taken. thankfully I dont think I have to worry aboot master sodium being used by anyone else.

but if I was going to use a medical condition for a DJ name, it would have to be DJ trisma (although I would spell it trysma). I mean, what medical condition could be more appropriate for the rave scene then jaw clenching. almost everybody there (at the local raves here, I know its better in different areas) has drug related trisma.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

MeneeococoaGOLD Member
torn and bleeding warrior of love
133 posts

Posted:
I would be DJ Flipix...well, maybe not. Sounds kinda kewl, but kinda dumb. (FLIPping from breaking + PIX from the pix i take = Flipix)

[ 05 November 2002, 17:07: Message edited by: Masta Rava Breaka ]

I need to find something witty for this so people like me...

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I kinda like the idea of DJ Cellulite, Mike. Please don't say its laughable. Its either that or DJ Puppy-phat...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I am going to produce under dromepixie.

I have heard some stupid DJ names in my time...
I loved 'DJ Master G' how stupid is that?!

Stupid DJ names are a ust have in society... Helps you separate the posers from the real thing

Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I have 2.... either DJ K (my name is *removed* and it was a mix up between DJ JK and DJ K) or Viper...for when i MC..

i have seen some classics tho...

DJ bart
DJ recycler
She DJ trinity

i will post more when i get home and have a look at the swiss poster i pinched from grindlewald....fantastic
EDITED_BY: UnscrupulousChavOffersFoot (1339154540)

iluminaryfaeriemember
89 posts

Posted:
speaking of bad names,
Dr. Trance takes the cake.
he's this gross 40+ year old fat balding guy that spins the crapiest trance and hits on all the young ravers. creeeeeeepy

orangu-funking-tan

fieryfiendmember
48 posts

Posted:
I think my favorite so far is DJ spin cycle.

Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
My DJ name is DJ SpaZ, after a cartoon character i once created. The message icon i've chosen looks a bit like him.
(and yes SpaZ span...)

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
I just notice with DJ's always , no matter what town you're in, there will be at least one whose name is a metaphor for speed. Examples:

DJ Quick
DJ Flash
DJ Swift
DJ Quicksilver
DJ Velocity
and so on...

So if you're a DJ and don't have a name yet, there's the formula for you

Not to deviate too far off-topic but this does kinda remind me of Boy Bands and how they have a small bank of names that every Boy in the universe has to pick from (JT, JD, DJ, TJ, CJ, etc....)

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.