Page: ...
ArythSILVER Member
in a beautiful daze....
134 posts

Posted:
After Immence pressure from liquid_bubblegum this is now the thread for the Liverpool meets the first of which;

1st October 2005 @ 2 o'clock, meeting at Lime Street Station and then moving over to the pierhead for some nice dockside spinning.

Hopefully followed by a drink and a dance at the Krazyhouse.

So who's there?????

EDITED_BY: Aryth (1126708098)

Whatever happened to my green and pleasant land?

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Wow! Gotpoi sounds awesome! Not sure about the whole £25 for 10 weeks charge tho. I wouldn't mind chipping in towards the electricity and put down a couple of coins per visit but I am not sure I want to tie myself down on £25.

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
i wasn't talking about us using the space, or going to the workshops, merely us and them merging as a network of spinners. We have the ability to point newbies in their direction, so they can learn and develop their skills in a learning orientated environment. Then, once said newbies feel they have the skills they need to spin with fire, they point them back i our direction, and the network of merseyside spinners gets bigger.

oh, and thanks spin doktor for correcting my link!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
anybody checked out power plant in calderstones park yet? it looks pretty good. would anybody recommend it?
EDITED_BY: fanged_angel (1223587956)

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: the_mods_stole_my_namei wasn't talking about us using the space, or going to the workshops, merely us and them merging as a network of spinners. We have the ability to point newbies in their direction, so they can learn and develop their skills in a learning orientated environment. Then, once said newbies feel they have the skills they need to spin with fire, they point them back i our direction, and the network of merseyside spinners gets bigger.

oh, and thanks spin doktor for correcting my link!

Honestly? I have never really paid for the pleasure of the art during my time (apart from going to festivals) so maybe I am a little sceptical in the whole concept of paying to learn. I mean I would never say no to meeting new spinners nor would I stop fellow spinners from parting with their hard earned money but what's the point if people could acquire knowledge for free? If the money goes towards solely towards the cost like rent then its all cool, but I think its a little weird if some people think they are good enough to get paid for teaching when the likes of MCP are releasing online tutorials for free.

Anyway, a reminder for everyone for Poi in the Park!!! There is going to be a mass attendance from Manchester and it looks like its going to be a big one because of the cancelled Play this summer! If you still haven't booked your bedspace, you really should book it now!
EDITED_BY: Loewan (1223591339)

surinkistranger
10 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: LoewanThe gotpoi site doesn't work. Joey? Which Joey?

The psytrance night sounds tops! In case there is going to be another one in Manchester as well the weekend before that called Illuminaughty and they are going to have a special pyro themed night!

Wednesday sounds awesome as long as Katherine is still coming along! grin

Katharine is gagging

Spin_Doktorstranger
7 posts

Posted:
I'm driving to Poi in the Park from Liverpool, does anyone need a lift?

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Yeah! A lift would be mint!!!!

Surinki: Kath is gagging but you will still be the one pulling the strings right? *wink wink nudge nudge!!!!*

GOT?POIBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Hi all,

I'm Warren. I'm the organiser of GOT?POI, www.gotpoi.co.uk. I'm also Joey's brother.
GOT?POI first workshop is on Wednesday 15th Oct 2008. The first workshop is FREE! Please try to come along. I just wanted to let everyone know about GOT?POI...

Mission statement: GOT?POI aims to promote and teach skilled arts around Merseyside. We aim to provide social networking, where skilled artists and novices can learn from each other and further their abilities. Music and refreshments are included in each workshop.

We have attracted the attention of the Manchester spinners, and some companies that teach circus skills around the UK.

Where and when?
6-9pm Wednesdays
Muse Building
82-84 Duke Street
Liverpool City Centre
L1 5AA

What activities are available?
We hope...
Poi
Bocks
Staff
Devil Sticks
Juggling
Unicycling
Tight rope
...and possibly more.

Why do I have to pay?
We have overheads to pay such as rent and equipment.

After reading feedback from this forum, and from others - all expressing concern about the £25.00 (for 10 workshops) charge, I have decided to give members a choice how they pay, either £25 block payment OR £3.00 per workshop.

Advantages:
Beginners / intermediates members – get good quality, structured lessons from 82p/hr.
Advanced members - can use the building and meet other members in a secure area (it's difficult to spin outside in the rain.)
Instructors – get paid fairly. This scheme enables instructors to get paid for each person they spend time teaching.

All the latest information is on our site, www.gotpoi.co.uk under the workshops section. Have a question? E-mail me: info@gotpoi.co.uk.

Warren
GOT?POI

1,286 posts

Posted:
hey guys, don't think I'll be able to make the meet this week, I've got alot on at work. Hopefully I'll see you all at the next one in a fortnight.

O.B.E.S.E.

surinkistranger
10 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Spin_DoktorI'm driving to Poi in the Park from Liverpool, does anyone need a lift?

Ye please if you still got room.

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: 163

Why do I have to pay?
We have overheads to pay such as rent and equipment.

After reading feedback from this forum, and from others - all expressing concern about the £25.00 (for 10 workshops) charge, I have decided to give members a choice how they pay, either £25 block payment OR £3.00 per workshop.

Advantages:
Beginners / intermediates members – get good quality, structured lessons from 82p/hr.
Advanced members - can use the building and meet other members in a secure area (it's difficult to spin outside in the rain.)
Instructors – get paid fairly. This scheme enables instructors to get paid for each person they spend time teaching.

All the latest information is on our site, www.gotpoi.co.uk under the workshops section. Have a question? E-mail me: info@gotpoi.co.uk.

Warren
GOT?POI

Honestly, you and Joey should come to Poi in the Park. Then you can decide whether you should charge people other than the overheads.
EDITED_BY: Loewan (1223842807)

1,286 posts

Posted:
I personally do agree Lowan, its not something i would pay to learn. But, if somebody thinks it will make a viable business venture, and there's people who are willing to pay to learn, then who am I to stop them?

Good luck to them, Joey has always been a good teacher, he's always willing to show me a thing or two when we meet up, and he's always patient.

It would be nice if we could all meet together sometimes aswell though, and not always be two seperate networks of spinners. As that just leads to an 'us and them' situation.

O.B.E.S.E.

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Oh no, I am not objecting to us spinning together. As a matter of fact, I was going to pop down with Suraya until the Wii got me (Metroid was amazing).

I am sure you know first hand the communal sharing spirit that is prominently on display at the likes of Falmouth and Play. And thats what the whole fire spinning community is like nation wide. Even the workshops for Poi in the Park are free of charge! In fact, the core ethos of HoP, DMP and most major online spinning community are based on the sharing of knowledge for free and it would be a damn shame if the whole thing mutates to having price tags for the next generation of spinners. And I would sincerely invite Joey and his brother, who might perhaps see their skills as commodity to be sold, along to some of the some of the national fire meets and see that not everything is about making a buck.

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Just came back from Got?Poi and I am kind of sold on the club. It was really well run in a very comfortable environment. It was very well organised with proper syllabus and learning structure and under the new 3 pounds per pop price scheme, and as it was explained since most of the money goes back into equipments, I am well up for that! So apologies to Joey and Warren for doubting them in the first place. tongue2

1,286 posts

Posted:
hey folks, are we having a meet this sunday?

O.B.E.S.E.

surinkistranger
10 posts

Posted:

I can't play this Sunday. I'm goin to Jimothy's leaving party.

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Next Sunday the 2nd of Nov. Most people are away or committed this weekend.

Spin_Doktorstranger
7 posts

Posted:
Next Sunday works for me, my new fire poi should have arrived by then, yay! Who is going to Gotpoi tomorrow and at what time?

Jools

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
I will be going to Got?Poi to show my support for the poi/staff community. Give me a shout I will probably go at 1800.
EDITED_BY: Loewan (1225215486)

Spin_Doktorstranger
7 posts

Posted:
I'm having issues with my phone, it may or may not work this evening... I might not get there until 7, but will definitely be heading down.

lollypopstranger
13 posts

Posted:
hi guys wondered if any u guys still meet up really wana get involve with a group as im a lonley spinner in ormskirk

"There is in every madman a misunderstood genius whose idea, shining in his head, frightened people, and for whom delirium was the only solution to the strangulation that life had prepared for him."
- Artaud, Antonin

1,286 posts

Posted:
we're trying to make the meets a more regular thing, the guys at GOT?POI are running their juggling club every wednesday, so you could always head there whilst you wait for us to get off our asses and organise another meet!

O.B.E.S.E.

1,286 posts

Posted:
p.s. lollypop, i'm only in Maghull myself, so if you need transport to meets, let me know, its not a problem. I personally cannot make the wednesday night meets, due to work commitments, but weekend meets are not a problem.

O.B.E.S.E.

lollypopstranger
13 posts

Posted:
hi yeah i found the wednessday thanks went this week was fun. shame u cant come to the wed was good fun last time we have satreted circus skill society at uni on a monday night. at mo there is only a few of us who are regulare but if u want to pop along let me know and i can give u details. and weekend spinning sounds fun aswell

let me know
Thanks
xxxx juggle

"There is in every madman a misunderstood genius whose idea, shining in his head, frightened people, and for whom delirium was the only solution to the strangulation that life had prepared for him."
- Artaud, Antonin

1,286 posts

Posted:
p.m. me the details and i'll see if i can get there at some point.

O.B.E.S.E.

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Jesus! I haven't been got to Got?Poi for a couple of weeks now. Been so busy with uni! Need to pop down this Weds!

GOT?POIBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Hey,

GOT?POI Juggling Club has moved venue! We have moved to a nicer building on Parilment street. Check out the workshop section on www.gotpoi.co.uk. We may also be able to use the flat roof of the building for fire spins!

Hope to see you all soon. Have fun.

Warren
GOT? POI

JaqueDarkBRONZE Member
journeyman
55 posts

Posted:

Hey All!

Been a while since I last spoke to you guyz! Been at Uni down in Leicester. But am coming back up for the summer, just wondering if Fire Chef still goes up to Southport because I'm up that way with my boyfriend this weekend. He's starting to get an interest in poi and I'd like him to see some of the burning kind before he goes home on Sunday. I'm trying to corrupt him even more with my 'scouse-ness' as he puts it. So if anyone is up near Southport on Saturday night and has some paraffin then let me know!

Cheers

JD
x

fire.chefcrazy mofo
99 posts

Posted:
Hi guys im back with a vengence.
ive been busy doing a few paid gigs and ive got a few lined up for this summer mainly festivals but theres also a couple of clubs and a few parties i could possibly do with a little help on some of these as its been requested to do non stop sets for an entire evening it would be the usual rotation aproach if anyone is interested let me know.
Also its time to get back to the beach and have some good burns again ive had a couple this year but its time to have a lot more. we've upgraded the rig this year with a bigger P.A using bigger amps bigger subs and bigger generators and the yurt is a masterpiece now its bigger we had over 20 people inside last time. All are welcome to come spinners of any skill or just an intrest, non spinners too the more the merrier.
I met a couple of guys from gotpoi outside django riffs in liverpool a couple of months ago i think there was a guy called laurence or something (im bad with names) who was interested in coming down in a group but i cant regester on there site to contact him if anyone knows whoi im on about send him this way.
anywho if anyones interested in partying down the beach let us know i'll keep a regular eye on this thread and i'll keep posting

Fire Chef

Yo Yo Yo motherfcukers

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Laurence? Warren maybe? grin

Page: ...