Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm wondering who else here keeps dream logs.

A dream log (or dream diary) is a log of all the dreams you can remember. It's best to log a dream you remember first thing in the morning because you tend to forget dreams as the day goes on.

I seldom remember my dreams, but when I do I log them as soon as I wake up. Over the last 5 years since I started keeping the log I've managed to accumulate some very amusing entries and some very poignant ones. I've also reminisced about all the changes and moves I've done over this last period of my life, from Stanford to Michigan to New York, from Grad student to medical student to resident.

Here's last night's entry:
Written by:

I was on a 747(-400?) on the way back from Europe. I’d been having a conversation with someone about survival times in the cold North Atlantic winter water.

At some point, the plane descended close to the water and suddenly we were flying next to an impossibly huge wall of water. I suddenly had the ability to see in any direction around the plane I wanted to and the pilot gunned the engines and we screamed up the side of the massive wave, barely missing brushing it and soared high into the air. Just as I thought we were in the clear the plane hit a massive wave that came up out of the water, although the plane survived, we were badly shaken up. We then came up over another wall of water and over an island and then…

…I was standing on the balcony outside the living room at the Kirkway house looking at the lake and thinking how tame and boring it was with respect to the Atlantic. Although the waves on the lake were a fair sight bigger than they would normally be. And then I woke up, glad to be neither in an plane barely missing titanic waves nor in Michigan.

What can I say? My head is a bizarre place! ^.^

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I don't keep a diary for two reasons:

1) I could never keep it up (I've tried)
2) It seems to me that anyone who keeps a diary winds up getting in trouble because of it someday (mom reads the diary and finds out her daughter had sex, or the diary is subpoenaed for legal proceedings, etc.)

-Mike

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

Oi-oi, isn't that a problem best solved by a professional?... tongue

Nah, just kidding biggrin I never kept a diary just for the fact that if something is worth noting, it'll stay in your mind. If it's good, it'll be more likely to stay. If it's bad, I wouldn't want a diary to remind me of it.

Just my opinion and er, yeah, never thought about dream logs either because if I'd just woken up from a dream/nightmare, my first thought would be to try to get back to sleep, not write in a journal/log. wink

It's better to burn out than to fade away

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: thelost_seraph

Oi-oi, isn't that a problem best solved by a professional?... tongue

I am a professional, numbnutz. tongue

-Mike

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
That kinda raises another question...would a psychiatrist go to another psychiatrist if they developed psychiatric problems...or would they try to solve it themselves?..(DIY counselling? tongue)

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I remember most of my dreams. I've written quite a few in my intro thread.

As soon as I wake up from a dream I type it into my phone as a text and save it, and read it in the morning. smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
A friend of mine had a dream where he was Death. Every time anyone came near him, their soul got sucked out of their body. Including members of his family etc. Apparently he was freaked out by that for a *long* time.

Can't say I've ever had a dream that bad, although I have had some nasties (I'm sure everyone has at some point).

I'm sure there was a point to this post when I started... maybe I'll go to sleep and see if it comes to me in a dream...

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:

What can I say? My head is a bizarre place! ^.^

We know! tongue

I rarely remember my dreams. The ones I do, are either funny, or horrible.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i almost never dream of logs.
i always wanted to be.... a lumberjack!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: bender™

i almost never dream of logs.
i always wanted to be.... a lumberjack!

This, of course, leads to the inevitable end of the song (the dressing up in women's clothes bit) and, by a not-too-lose association...

to Bender in drag. eek

-Mike

lasersurgeGOLD Member
100 posts

Posted:
I've only written down a couple of dreams in my time, but there are many that i remember like they were a really cool film i watched. Sometimes i draw things from my dreams too, like the crazy ninja robots that invaded the back garden of my grandparents house, or the rabbit man in a trenchcoat.

people are people

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I used to write a dream diary a few years ago when I was putting lots of effort into having lucid dreams. Most people dream about the same things on a regular basis, so keeping a dream diary helps you spot these. People have called me sad because I dream a lot about maps in computer games (I don't dream i'm playing a game often, but either the scenery or the layout is similar), but if I hadn't have kept a dream diary I wouldn't have noticed it and I'm sure a lot of people would be suprised at some of the things they regularly dream about. For me it makes sense, because I often play computer games in the evening before going to bed, and becomming good at first person shooter games requires an indepth knowledge of levels. I'm not suprised Mr Lightning's dreams involve planes considering he's into learning about them. Anyway, once you know what you dream about, when you experience that thing in real life you can do a reality test. If you always do a reality test when it happens in waking life, sooner or later you'll do a reality test in your dream, and when you do your lucid dream will begin. It works too, for instance I always do a reality check in waking life if anything strange, weird or scary happens. As dreams are often strange weird and scary I end up doing reality checks in them. If you have an induction device (I've always been too cheap to buy one on the basis that I know how to make them, but have always been too lazy to get beyond the design stage) that detects rem sleep and flashes red and blue leds into your eyes, you may dream about a police car. If you always reality test in waking life when you see a police car, you'll learn to in your dreams too.

Straying back onto topic breifly, it takes quite a bit of disapline to keep a dream diary for an extended amount of time, and inevitably I got lazy. The human mind is an interesting thing though, and things like lucid dreaming are relatively unresearched (properly anyway). I often suffer from premature awakenings when trying to induce lucid dreams, and as during this time I'm keeping a dream diary, I have been known to dream that I've woken up and written in my dream diary. Before now I've recalled in a dream everything I've dreampt about previously, written it down in my dream, then written the same words when I've woken up for real. I've also had 3 premature awakenings in one night, each time thinking how strange it was, but failing to realise I'm still asleep!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
sleep paralysis is pretty funky, I've had it once properly, but i'd read about it plenty before hand so knew it'd pass. I hadn't read about the whole accompanying ghost thing thou, which was a bit worrying, but I hear it's pretty common and answers quite a few people's ghost sightings. I had it a second time when I was sleeping in an empty house alone in the attic (my parents were moving out, but I was making use of the place as it was a 6 min train journey from a festival i was working at). I'm not sure whether it was a proper experience thou, as it followed directly on from a lucid dream. I may have just imagined that it could happen during my lucid dream, causing it to happen. Dreams are weird, but can be fun when you have the right ones biggrin
Non-Https Image Link

Posted:
i would keep a dream log if all the dreams i remember weren't bad ones. i think it is a good idea to though, it would be fun to see what you've dreamed in years to come

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
what do you mean by remember? I, along with most of the population remember very little of what i've dreampt within a few minutes of waking up. Writting a dream journal entry must be the first thing you do when you wake up, when the thoughts are still fresh in your mind. It is also for that very reason that many people who start writting them get lazy and can't be arsed to keep it up smile

Posted:
well when i get up in a morning all i remember is the bad stuff, hardly any of the good stuff

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
i just laid a log. it floats.....

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
Written by: Tink L. Pants

i just laid a log. it floats.....

erm...so many ways to interpret that it's weird... confused

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
take it as toilet humour muhahahahaha

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I keep one as an aid to lucid dreaming.. because it improves recall, and what's the point of having a lucid dream if you're not going to remember it? smile

Although I find recall with WILDs is usually pretty good anyway, so once you get beyond DILDs it cuts down on the need for a dream logl... at the same time I like to look over my log for patterns. I always try and write a bit about the days surrounding the dream, to look for the significances in the log. I find it kind of therapeutic, I guess.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
ubblol

read a few of your other posts and you have way too many puns tongue

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
i used to keep a dream diary but seeing as i couldnt be bothered putting a light on and writing it down i gave up lol

puns are the future T.L.S!!!

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
Tink L.'s avatar actually scares the hell outta me and i reckon i'm gonna end up with a nightmare one time...

It just looks like small arms and body with a big head and pulsatingly googly eyes! eek

Same with the 'cannot be bothered' idea really. I just don't get up to write because i want to sleep and i normally take about 30-45 mins laying in bed to get to sleep frown

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
I'm wearing my 4yr olds hoodie lol

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
it's the eyes though...the EYES!!! eek

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
there's a whole thread dedicated to it a few pages back - go moan in there!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Last week

Written by:

Night of 8/16/2007 (Location: 116 st. New York)
I was taking a tour of the remains of the industrial zones of the fallen USSR. It was very reminiscent of photos I’ve seen of modern-day Chernobyl, with vast industrial wastelands dotted with vast, rusting hulks of factories. I came across a remarkably well-preserved monstrosity of industrial machinery. Because I randomly seemed to have the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound, I jumped on top of this huge building/machine and somehow the knowledge came to me that this was the largest single working machine in the world; a source of great pride to Russia. And then I jumped down off it and noted a gap between the lower edge of the wall and the ground big enough for me to shimmy under. The inside was hollow and the whole machine was just a huge shell meant to look impressive. And then I woke up.

Did I mention that my brain is an odd place to inhabit?

-Mike

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i wrote downa dream once, i woke up at like 3am thinking "that was a crazy dream, i gotta write it down. so i started and finished and went to bed. about 10 months later i stumble upon it, and read it. And what i had written out in prefect sence that one morning, was actually short thoughts about the dream with no real connection. very odd to read.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Im sorry, but ive got to say...
When I read the heading of this thread I REALLT thought it was peoples best poo's!!! Toilet humor indeed TinklePants

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

Bigfoot67GOLD Member
103 posts

Posted:
I've thought about keeping a dream log in the past and decided i'm gonna give it a try now...

(not the kind of dream log TinklePants and FireNix are talking about though ubblol)

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
Last night I had an odd dream involving unicorns, some scary govenment people, Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter, and running away from something.

Usually my dreams involve really scary bits of my past or delicious My Chemical Romance moments. I LOVE the MCR dreams, lol.

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

Page: