TeaCupnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
I just need advice on linking moves together. I just started Poi about 2 weeks ago and can do moves like the weave, butterfly, corkscrew, windmill and I can do some reels and carrys.
But everytime I do a move I stop the poi spinning then start a new move. It doesn't look that great >_>
So anyone got any advice on how to make my moves flow? biggrin

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
I am new to poi as well, about 3 weeks I guess. My advice is to spin a lot and just experiment. Throw those poi around see how they move and where you can go with them. When I spin I spend a lot of time trying to spin cleanly but then I will also spend time just screwing around and seeing what happens. I have kind of lucked into linking a lot of things together.

I have read some descriptions of specific links, but they just ended up being more confusing than helpful. Oh, also, watch the video clips that are available. They are a great resource.

Have fun!
weavesmiley

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
The simplest way of linking the wave to the windmill is via the fountain (3 beat forwards to 3 beat reverse low, then back the otherway high, by which time the poi will be at the 1st beat stage of the windmill, so you can enter into it exceptionally easily) and you can enter the corkscrew by either gently angling a windmill downwards by 90 degrees so rather than spinning in front behind, it's spinning below above.

I just tend to spin a 3 beat weave before changing the plane of my poi by forcefully making them go from the wall planes (at my sides) to the floor/ceiling planes. It's the just throw it! technique of changing planes...

as for changing to a butterfly, you can do a 'stop' (bounce a poi off a body part) while the poi are spinning in the same direction, so they're in opposite direction, then turn 90 degrees, bringing the poi that you're turning away from with you without changing planes, so both poi are next to each other, in the same plane, spinning in opposite directions.

As for reels and carries, you can link them to the weave by forcing one poi faster for half a beat, so they're spinning opposite time, going straight into the weave.

I hope that helps...

Woof.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

sayamember
30 posts

Posted:
If you want the easy way to linking moves without stopping the poi, start with both poi swinging on their own side (forward/backward or split swing) then do your move. Instead of stopping the poi's when you want to do another move trie to go back to swinging both poi on their own side of your body, then start the second move you want to do...etc It doens't really make your moves 'flow' but at least you can continue without having to stop your poi

A few days ago when I was experimenting (you might want to try it yourself)with linking moves together I was able to make a link between a butterfly and a 3bt weave: just do the butterfly and when the poi are moving downwards cross your arms and continue with the weave

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
wraps and stalls are good ways to link moves togther. especially weave - butterfly and back.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

sayamember
30 posts

Posted:
thanks for the tip oli, hadn't yet figured out a way to go from weave back to butterfly so I'll guess I'll go and try with wraps this time:D

TeaCupnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Ok thanks for the tips everyone *gets spinning* biggrin

misslucygBRONZE Member
35 posts

Posted:
I'll tell you how poi was explained to me (sorry if this is boring, I haven't tried to explain this in text form before wink ) :
imagine a drawing pin attached to a string attached to a pen: the pen can only draw circles when the string is tight,
this image is like the poi hanging from your hand (the drawing pin, or the centre point of the circle) like the pen the poi can most comfortably draw circles in the air: to try and make it do otherwise will not only make it look silly but also make it more likely to tangle.
the easiest point in the circle to make it change direction into a circle on a different plane is when the axis line is pointing straight down (poi head at bottom)
using this knowledge you can simplify moves to the change point..
wargh I'm afraid my head just turned off, might be getting too late for me!
Anyways I hope that's helpful in some wway and not just a ramble on my part, I know it's helped me alot in envisioning what I need to make the poi do and breaking things down.. nighty night, and happy spinning!

misslucygBRONZE Member
35 posts

Posted:
oh I don't think I mentioned rules are also made to be borken, I've seen some cool stuff done with changing the centre to 1/2 way down the poi chain and doing kinda punching movements... yeah anyways lotsa fun stuff to play with.. so tired wink

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Hey lady smile
Nice meeting you the other day, hopefully see you at the big hastings meet, I'll gladly go through some stuff with you smile hug

TeaCupnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Hiya Aimee biggrin I worked out how to do thread the needle at last *celebrates* Might see you on sunday. Not sure yet what i'm up to ubbrollsmile

chaos_shadowcatMember
3 posts

Posted:
My advice is AS SOON AS YOU GET A NEW PATTERN, either learn it backwards or figure out how it flows together into another pattern, all the transfers just need to be played with to find where they work best for you... once you find one it becomes really easy to find others, the other thing is to just practice practice & practice more... it's the only way

if you truly love something, set it a blaze like the fires of hell & bask in its light & glory