Forums > Technical Discussion > A question about fire breathing

Login/Join to Participate

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
i have just started fire breathing a bit, total of 6 blows into a flame, so yes i am that new to that, i spin fire poi, and i hover arround this forum, anyway

i was just wondering, i have used 99% liquid parrafin to blow into the flame, i was wondering what are some extra safety precautions i can take with this liquid, it seems to work great into the flame, and the stuff i have really has no taste, is there something i can clense my mouth with afterwards, i have just rinsed it with water and spit it out

anyway thanks biggrin

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Best safety advice, IMO, is to not do it anymore- if you fire breathe on a regular basis it will mess you up one way or another.

Over than that, follow the fire breathing link for advice and articles.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
i thought that would be coming, yeah i dont plan on doing it as much as i do poi, maybe like every once and awhile kinda thing

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
i don't breath fire, but watch out about swallowing fuel, because it can really mess but your stomach

good luck
Lyra

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
keep some charcoal powder nearby incase you swallow some - or milk, to protect your stomach.

I really wanna learn fire breathing but my teeth are very sensitive and a total mess already.

bah... humbug!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
in small amounts, liquid paraffin acts as a laxative. it also causes heartburn, and in larger amounts will cause vomiting. you should look up an MSDS online for the brand you use. fire eating doesn't affect your teeth, eating it does. my teeth are a nightmare-they always have been, and i've had no problems. and of course, there's going to be the usual "don't do it" crowd... if you have any questions, SPACECOW, send me a private message. are you learning from a pro? or are you self-taught?

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Frederick the Reckless

fire eating doesn't affect your teeth, eating it does.

?
You may want to clarify that a bit.

Spacecow, here's a link to a recent thread on teeth damage from fire breathing and eating-

[Old link]

Concerning the 'don't do it crowd' smile, main thing with something like fire breathing is to do some research to base your decisions on, and checking out the many HOP threads on the subject is an excellent start.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

misslucygBRONZE Member
35 posts

Posted:
hey space cow, I just began learning fire breathing while I was in boston, my trainer taught me no more than 5 blasts a time, 5 times a year, you gotta choose your shows, swill and spit with milk afterwards, I'm not so good with sciencey stuff but the way I understand it is that something in the milk clings to the bad stuff and takes it out, then drink the rest of the milk cos it alkalises your stomach.
always have a cloth to cover your face with as soon as you've blown (and spit any excess fluid into), I forgot to do it once and almost lit my face on fire... not so cool. also having someone standing by with a damp towel is a good idea.
if you wanna chat about it more or get in touch with my trainer just chuck me a private message, I'm totally keen and he would be too, it's quite a rush huh?!
bounce2 bounce2 bounce ubbrollsmile

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
sorry meant to say BREATHING not eating the first time... breathing only affects your teeth if you are using a fuel not already found in food items. (how many things can you think of that have paraffin in them? anyone remember wax lips? there are more... read ingredient lists.) high-volatility fuels such as white gas and alcohols will ulcerate the gums after a while, and the heat from eating fire too frequently WILL damage teeth and gums. am i saying don't? no. i would be a hypocrite if i did. just be wary of the risks. and if you breathe fire without first doing your homework and something goes bad, i have no sympathy for you. not saying you didn't do your homework, just venting a thought.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel