Forums > Technical Discussion > Chainmaille Poi (Armored Raven, Enchantress, Lurch!?)

Login/Join to Participate

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Maille or chainmail - however you want to spell it.

Ok, I'm going to make my fire poi out of maille - I was actually thinking of wrapping my wick with maille and making a mailled strap for them with leather loops.

What are the dos and don'ts of metals - I will be using stainless, probably 14 gauge, maybe 12 (If I can even work it). Should I use something else? Secure the ends with jb weld if I use butted rings - I suppose I could get riveted if I want to from Knuut.

What wick to get? stacked, monkey fist, the type that's shaped like a cylinder? (take in mind, I'm also a beginner, I'm petit w/ short arms - if that affects the head you use.)

Any suggestions? thankx

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I don't reckon that wrapping wicks with mail is a great idea to be honest, unless you're just planning to make covers for the wicks that are only used when you're not spinning the poi.

They'll add a fairly hefty amount of weight and more importantly, it's the metal parts of the poi that burn you when they're lit - the metal transfers heat to your skin far quicker than the wick, which doesn't actually conduct heat all that well. So, hitting yourself with a metal wrapped wick will almost certainly leave you with some rather interesting and probably painful burns.

Mailled handles would look pretty damned good though, as long as they didn't have any mail anywhere that would rub against skin, I imagine that would get very painful very quickly.

I'd certainly use welded links over rivetted ones - anything that might increase the chances of the chain snagging on something is a bad idea.

As for wick, tube core (the cylinder ones) seem to have the smallest flame for a given size, because they have a smaller surface area. They often also have exposed screws that hold the wick down.

There's not really a great deal of difference between cathedral wicks (the folded ones) and monkeyfists in terms of flame size, but it depends on who you ask - some people are adamant that one gives a larger flame than the other, but it varies alot.

Personally, I prefer monkeyfists, but that may well be just because I like knots more than folds and it has 'monkey' in the name wink

Do you know anyone nearby who spins fire? The best option is really to have a spin with as many different sets of poi as you can, then make up your own mind about which you prefer - don't listen to anyone telling you which are best, your poi will be for you so should fit how you like them.
EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1125236611)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Ah -- good point, there about the snagging issue and the burns ,that makes perfect sense.

Now - that does lead me to ask if anyone ever made a ring for a wick, like a small wreath-type of idea (3" in diametre, maybe) get a few metal craft rings and wrap them, thick, with wick..

there, though, I see the posibility of large pieces of wick coming off if small parts burn through...

How's mylar in fire? (the stuff that inflatable balloons are made of) - Forever ago in an assembly during my 4th grade year we had the electric company set up an electric-pole display to show how electricity conducts through things and can hurt you. He stuck a mylar balloon into the electric field and it sparked like the 4th of July, but it didn't pop or catch fire...

Though I imagine that this idea (for decoration) would be dangerous, as well - it's probably an excellent heat conductor.

I'll just maille some straps and be happy with that smile I'll leave the wickery up to everyone else.

*edit* - I noticed that there are two people on the forum who live in AR, however - they don't post, emails sent - but no replies, yet.

I do know my mailling buddies who spin - but they're spread out. It's just me, all by my lonesome.

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

misslucygBRONZE Member
35 posts

Posted:
just a side note: if you make some foldy kevla type heads, turn them to make a spiral, me and adam did this with the last ones we made and it resulted in better soaking and a bigger flame- YEA-AHH!

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Juuulliieeeeeeeee!!!! biggrin

I'm not too sure why you want to cover your wicks in maille. Exposed metal is what is going to burn you the fastest during wraps and such, although it would be cool to brand e4 into your forearm, i don't think thats something you want to do. not to mention that it will probably do more to wear the wicks down than to protect them if thats what you were going for... Now if you just want covers to look snazzy when they're not lit than by all means. Just go with simple tubecore wicks and it would just be an easy maille tube to slip over it..

If you want to make your own chains to spin with, than my vote would be stainless lockwashers. Stainless butted might do it, but make it as thick as you can. Welded would be best (actually welded not JB weld) then rivetted if you're using normal butted rings. Remember the heat from the fire is going to anneal the steel and make it weaker.

and NO mylar doesn't do will with fire ubbloco

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrch!

Nice to see you here smile

Ah - yes, see - I thought it might be nice for show to use maille covered poi heads, but - I get everyone's point abuot the rings burning eek

So, some mailled practice poi - maybe not even that - whap = ouch! Though I like a mailled strap, that's nice, I'll try for that and see what happens. I might just keep the maille on my boots and in my hair and around my waist when I light up the first time. smile

That being said -

Lucygoose, I think I'll try that if/when I make my own heads, sounds lovely smile

"I'm your Huckleberry."

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Ohhh embrase the pain! You'll learn not to hit yourself... or at least learn how to dodge pretty quick wink

Just remember, Pain is just weakness leaving the body

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Hey now, you're stealing my tantra mantra! biggrin

"I'm your Huckleberry."

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I thought pain was the universe's way of telling you not to do that thing again...

wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?