Forums > Social Discussion > "The Cure For Cancer" -- A rant

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Lately I've seen a number of posters, demonstrations, rubber wrist bands, etc. all demanding "THE CURE" for cancer.

And this irritates the hell out of me for a few reasons.

1) THERE IS NO SUCH DISEASE AS CANCER.
"Cancer" is a term that describes the end result of a series of events leading to disordered cell proliferation that causes the formation of tumors all over the body. There are many different ways to get cancer and each is its own disease. For example, testicular cancer and breast cancer are two very different diseases, but they're both cancer. But demanding "a cure for cancer" is like demanding "a cure for fever."

2) THERE IS NO "SECRET" CURE TO CANCER.
Let's suppose, just for the sake of argument, that the above point was null and void and that it was possible to come up with some drug that would cure all cancer and be as easy to take as a course of antibiotics.

Now, the accusation is that drug companies have this cure but are quashing it because they make much more money treating sick people.

Um... confused huh? confused That makes as much sense as sayiing that antibiotics would never be released by drug companies because they make more money treating people who die of infections.

Look, cure for cancer or no cure for cancer, people are going to keep getting cancer. And if you could come up with the magic "antibiotic" for cancer, you'd make a killing selling it.

3) THERE ARE ALREADY CURES FOR CANCER, ESPECIALLY BREAST CANCER.
I've cured breast cancer myself. Or at least I've participated in the procedure. She was a 56-year-old lady who noticed a lump on self breast exam one day and it turned out to be a suspicious mass on mammography. So I scrubbed in on the operation to remove the tumor. And we got it. She needed a few rounds of chemotherapy, but because of early detection and early intervention, she's in remission and will be cured most likely in another 3 years.

Lance Armstrong is probably due to be "cured" of his testicular cancer any month now.

And if you have a child who gets an acute lymphocytic leukemia, his survival chances are greater than 90%.

Thyroid cancer can be cured, as can colon cancer. These cures aren't always easy, since the cure to thyroid cancer destroys healthy thyroid and colon cancer involves a partial colectomy, but they are cures. Melanoma is treated by excision.

I'm not saying that we should stop research and declare the war on cancer won, because pancreatic cancer and small-cell carcinoma of the lung are still ~100% lethal.

But the "Cure" to many cancers is early detection. That means doing your self breast and testicular exams and getting to the doctor if you think you have a problem.

Guys, peak age for testicular cancer is 15-35. Do your self exams!

Ladies, do your breast self exams!

Ok, rant over.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Thanks for this thread, Doc smile Some additions:

I really dislike people's pharma companies conspiracy theories... a woman I met on holidays gave me her new age mag, which stated HIV didn't really affect people who ate healthy food, and it was just for pharma companies to make money, and the ozone layer was an invention by spray companies to sell their new products...

Also, as soon as anyone discovers anything to do with cancer, newspapers jump in. Some professors I have worked with have done things related to finding how some cancers develop and can be stopped. One got into the news. The "journalist" decided it would sound better to have "CURE FOR CANCER!" than "molecule identified that likely plays a role in one type of cancer" as a title. People queued in the institute and were ranting at the prof to have given them wrong hopes.

Of course, people tend to generalise, and using "cancer" for all kinds of tumor is okay in my opinion.

Oh, and about self checks... have moles etc looked at if you think they've changed colour or shape or if you're not sure about them in the first place! As with breast and testicular cancer, skin cancer can start at a very young age.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Is it true that cancer isn't a disease, but a mutation of cells?

What gets to me is the whole 'Scientists have recently discovered that 'such and such' causes cancer'.

There's a new report out most weeks saying that we shouldn't eat this or that or do this because it causes cancer. It seems like EVERYTHING causes cancer these days...

The funniest one I saw was 'scientists have claimed that showering every day increases the risk of cancer'.

Why don't they all just say 'Living will cause certain death' and be done with it? There is no 'magic elixir of life' or secret to immortality, we're all destined to die, why not get on with things?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

JhingeBRONZE Member
110 posts

Posted:
ill back him on that every one has cancerous cells in there body it just needs something to trigger it which is why you here a lot about carsonagnic foods that have been linked to triggering cancer the same as smoking can cause lung cancer because it triggers the mutated cells

i dont get paid to belive i get paid to destroy things

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Stuff like that really get my goat too. People are far to afraid nowadays to offend people by telling then that their beliefs are dangerous, wrong and just plain moronic. Personally I think people like that need to be fought where ever they surface. The sad thing is that most of them aren't evil money grabbers (although some are) but just misguided idiots.

Good work with the links Doc, there's still a big taboo amoungst men about testicular cancer.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

JhingeBRONZE Member
110 posts

Posted:
men dont check like they should a few weeks ago i thought i found a lump and it scared the hell out of me i went to the doctors and got it checked out thankfully it was all ok but when i told my mates they started to make jokes about it
i think men are to proud when it comes to something like this as we belive that we could be seen as lesser men because a testical has been removed
i personally be #live it takes a biggerman to get it sorted and face it than ignore the situation and hope it will go away

i dont get paid to belive i get paid to destroy things

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: Loves the Circus

There's a new report out most weeks saying that we shouldn't eat this or that or do this because it causes cancer. It seems like EVERYTHING causes cancer these days...

The funniest one I saw was 'scientists have claimed that showering every day increases the risk of cancer'.

Everything is toxic, even water.

When you shower, you inhale a lot of Manganese, present in the water, in unhealthy doses. Although, you'd need about 10 years worth of daily showering for it to have any effect.

(or so I read).

Personally - the people who complain about such matters are not scientists or doctors, but uneducated people who think it is simple to just create a drug! You hear about many breakthroughs in cancer research, but you won't see any wonder-drugs instantly on the market. There's a little factor of testing, in vivo, in vitro, on willing volunteers. The process could take 10/15 years.

Willy - is bad for your health...

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: lightning

Lately I've seen a number of posters, demonstrations, rubber wrist bands, etc. all demanding "THE CURE" for cancer.

Written by: lightning

Now, the accusation is that drug companies have this cure but are quashing it because they make much more money treating sick people.

So... are you saying that the posters, demos, bands etc mentioned in the first quote are actually making the accusation mentioned in the second?

My initial feeling is that the vast majority of people demanding a 'cure for cancer' are actually just expressing fear and a sincere desire for more research into treating/preventing cancer.

I would think that the portion who believe a 'cure' actually exists and is being withheld to be a very small minority.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

marthaMember
37 posts

Posted:
hey doc, thanks for the thread.
My mother died over 8 years from breast cancer, i was 7 at the time. Now im getting told that i should go to the doctors to ask questions as i maybe at more risk.
But what gets to me is when the press start saying they have found cures, because it puts false hope into people. Cancer will be around for a long time to come, and possible we all no people who will suffer from it or even diefrom it, but we have to get on with ours lives. Cancer could easily target anyone, and self examinations are the best way for people to catch it early, it is the only hope for a cure.
All these theroys that what we eat or how we live are lives can help prevent more mutation in the cells or create more, is to me a whole lot of rubbish. But people are allowed there own views.

ill tell you again, just buy a new one.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Okay, I learned about this on Nova about a month ago, and I've had difficulty finding information about it on the web, so I can't garantee the accuracy of anything I'm about to say.

They have recently discovered that cells have their own defence mechanism against viruses. Known as iRNA, it looks for bits of RNA that are folded a cetain way, and destroys them, and it also destroys the same bits of RNA that are just folded different. The thinking goes that we can introduce RNA into the cells that are folded that way, so that the iRNA will recognise that as bogus DNA and destroy every example of it they come accross. They think they can use this to cure countless viruses, arthritis, cancers, diabetes and other genetic disease.

But don't quote me on that. If anybody finds a website telling more about it, please post a link, I'm really interested by it.
EDITED_BY: sparkey! (1125076291)

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

So... are you saying that the posters, demos, bands etc mentioned in the first quote are actually making the accusation mentioned in the second?

No, I'm not and I realize it sounded as if I was. But these pharmacy conspirists are annoying, nonetheless.

Some US Senator has said that he wants to pour money into research to "eliminate cancer as a source of pain and suffering by 2010."

My point is: IMPOSSIBLE. At leat within 5 years. Even if the perfect cancer cure was brought before the FDA today, it would be after 2010 that it would be able to go to market.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: martha

All these theroys that what we eat or how we live are lives can help prevent more mutation in the cells or create more, is to me a whole lot of rubbish. But people are allowed there own views.

So sorry to hear about your mother, Martha.

As for this, it depends. I think the evidence for smoking being associated with Small-Cell Carcinoma of the Lung is pretty darned strong. As is the case for sun exposure and melanoma.

But many of the others are very weak (mobile phones, power lines, etc.)

-Mike

marthaMember
37 posts

Posted:
hey it was years ago, you dont have say sorry, but thanxs
but anyway smoking and sun exposure do dramatically increase the chance of mutation of the cells, but not everyone who smoke gets cancer. its just the way of life, cancer effect everyone who knows the sufferer and change the way some people act.
im not going to keep my hopes up that there will be a cure in the near future. i just hope i wont get.

ill tell you again, just buy a new one.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: martha

hey it was years ago, you dont have say sorry, but thanxs
but anyway smoking and sun exposure do dramatically increase the chance of mutation of the cells, but not everyone who smoke gets cancer.

Getting shot in the chest dramatically increases the number of holes in the chest (and organs therein), but not everyone who gets shot in the chest dies. I submit that this doesn't mean that getting shot in the chest doesn't cause death. And yes, I do stand by the analogy.

We can all do things to reduce our risk of cancer. But there's a point of futility. You can't run around avoiding every single little mutagen that comes your way. You have to live, too.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: sparkey!

Okay, I learned about this on Nova about a month ago, and I've had difficulty finding information about it on the web, so I can't garantee the accuracy of anything I'm about to say.

They have recently discovered that cells have their own defence mechanism against viruses. Known as iRNA, it looks for bits of RNA that are folded a cetain way, and destroys them, and it also destroys the same bits of RNA that are just folded different. The thinking goes that we can introduce RNA into the cells that are folded that way, so that the iRNA will recognise that as bogus DNA and destroy every example of it they come accross. They think they can use this to cure countless viruses, arthritis, cancers, diabetes and other genetic disease.

But don't quote me on that. If anybody finds a website telling more about it, please post a link, I'm really interested by it.

I did a MedLine search for iRNA and came up with a few things.

1) iRNA appears to be "initiator RNA," which apparently is involved in the intiation of protein synthesis in eukaryotic cells.

2) Another class of RNA molecule, IRNA appears to be protective against Hepatitis C Virus in that it prevents translation of the HCV mRNA from the internal ribosome entry site. Basically, most mRNA's are translated from one end, but the HCV mRNA has an internal ribosome entry site, meaning that the ribosome binds to the middle of the molecule and then starts translating.

3) I wasn't able to find anything about a small RNA-zyme that degrades foreign RNA's. Which doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

I'll have to bug a molecular biologist who's more up-to-date than I am about this.

*EDIT* OK, I just found a whole flurry of articles less than a year old about 1) RNAi (RNA interference) and 2) siRNA (small interfering RNA).

The good doctor has a bit of reading to do. Thanks, Sparkey. hug
EDITED_BY: Doc Lightning (1125090145)

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, done a bit of reading and now I have a taste of what this is about.

It's interesting stuff, this RNAi bidnezz. However, the problem is that you have to get each and every cell to express an siRNA specific against the mRNA you want to destroy. That's gene therapy.

It does show us how we could use gene therapy to treat a virus or cancer. However, it doesn't help us with the overriding problem of gene therapy: how to get a gene into every cell in the first place.

Methinks me has more reading to do. Thanks again, Sparkey. You're helping me stay up to date. hug2

Just to give you an idea of what I'm wading through:

Written by: Gadkari DA, Indian J Med Res 121, March 2005, pp 147-150

JC virus, a member of the genus polyomavius, causes progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. It is also activated in immunocompromised hosts, such as AIDS patients. Human astrocyte cells were transfected with siRNAs directed against T antigen or agnoprotein coding mRNAs. Individually, siRNAs were partially effective but combined treatment of both siRNAs completely abolished JC virus capsid protein production. Similarly, siRNAs mediated inhibition of viral capsid protein VP1 and agnoprotein resulted in marked inhibition of JC virus production in human glial cells.

Actually, a very clear and well-written review. biggrin
EDITED_BY: Doc Lightning (1125090768)

-Mike

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
There's also research into Telomorase (spelling?). An enzyme/protein that causes self-destruction within cancerous cells. That was an interesting read.

Willy - is bad for your health...

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: Gadkari DA, Indian J Med Res 121, March 2005, pp 147-150

JC virus, a member of the genus polyomavius, causes progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. It is also activated in immunocompromised hosts...

Eyes glaze over... biggrin

Can the title be edited to include "Medical doctorate required to read"? ubblol

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
OK I'm not posting this as a fact, but as a question.
The immune system primarily deals with 'foreign' stuff eg viruses that come into the body. True?

Cancer cells are not 'foreign'. They are a massive proliferation of some of own body cells (that have made a mistake in the process of division, which is incredibly complex and happens so many times per second that it's hardly surprising that occsionally it goes wrong)

So most of the time our immune system does not destroy our own cells,even cancerous ones, even when it is functioning well. If it did, we would have some sort of auto-immune disease. Our immune system is not designed to recognise the exact type of mutation that leads to cancerous proliferation... expecting it to would be like asking the washing machine to make our toast.

Am I on track here?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
i was really proud at the fact that i could follow what you were saying doc, and understanding the medical/biological side to the conversation till you got to that damn article (i say that because i thought i wasnt learning much through revision), but anyway, back on topic, i understand people being scared of getting 'cancer' or anything that ultimatly is fatal but like its been mentioned above, i for one wont go over the top but im one who wants to enjoy life, and will do, i know im going to die anyway, whether it be natural, accidental or by an illness/disease.

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
Molecular biologist here....but unfortunately not one who is brushed up on RNAi or siRNA redface So at this point I'd have to say that the good Doc is more knowledgable than I in that field at present.

I do know that siRNA is a HUGE area of research now, though. Our company often gets calls about whether or not we can synthesize siRNA.

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Oh, it was RNAi. This would explain why I was having difficulty finding stuff about it. Thanks!

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Someone mentioned the new age nonsense out there so I thought I'd share a story.
I met a woman at a party once who only ate raw food. I asked why and she explained that it was a lot heathier "for example", she said "they tried growing cancer cells on cooked food and raw vegetables. The cells grew really well on the cooked food but wouldn't grow at all on the raw food."

"Pardon?" says me who's just spent 6 months doing cell culture of cancerous cells . I tried to explain to her how impossible this all was, and how hard it is to culture cells in even a perfect environment, let alone sitting on a bit of raw carrot. She kept insisting that she was right because she'd read it somewhere.

Gabe, that's about right. There are systems built into our cells to get them to commit suicide if something goes wrong. This is called apoptosis and can be triggered by several mechanism. White blood cells clear up the resulting mess.

Cancer, basically uncontrolled cell growth, is the result of a chain of mutations to a cell or group of cells that removes the usual checks and so this mechanism breaks down. For example, when DNA is damaged cells produce a protein called p53. too much p53 and the cell can't divide or dies. However if the gene that produces p53 is one of those damaged this important check is removed. Many cancers involve p53 gene damage.

Cancer isn't caused by a sinlge mutation, but an unfortunate sequence of steps from normal cell to cancerous cell. Often the 'breakthrough' that papers scream about is when scientists have worked out the details a particular necessary step or something that makes a step more likely.

Having work in the research comunity, including cancer, I understand that it's necessary to shout out when we've figured out something that's potentially important in order to keep funding coming in. But it doesn't help those that think doctors can cure everything with a magic pill. That day will probably never come - our bodies are going to be far more complex than our technology for a long, long time to come.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It always kind of tripped me out thinking about things like Cancer as evolutionarily helpful. That is, if a species has a certain self destruct mechanism built in, it will help the natural selection process. The worst think evolutionarily would be to keep a species alive past it's breeding age. Damn old people eating all my food. wink

That was my deep psuedo-science thought of the day.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
lol @ nyc - there is a train of thought ive read about cancer and certain conditions being a thining system at old age but meh....

as for RNA i can really profes to know much about it - just a few articles ive read about it. from what i know it acts as carrier for DNA - taking the 'commands' to the synthesis sections of a cell to create the proteins as ordered by the DNA - differnt types of RNA act at differnt levels.

RNA also exsits as a possible 'proto' DNA - ie the system DNA formed from.

a lot of biologists now think RNA has a ***lot*** to do with how the body works - more than previously thought maybe more than DNA. unfortunatly there is a massive amount of RNA - many times more than DNA.

and yes it probably is heavily to do with cancer - so it'll be a while before its understand and therefore before cancer is understood etc

as for scary stories a few years back i read about groups or parents that had been scred by the MMR stories (ie being linked to autism which have now thankfully been discredited)

anyway these parents believed in 'natural' immunisation/vacination and so when ever one of their children got a certain disease would invite other children in the group over to catch which ever disease it was they had. the idea being that they'd immunise their children

scary no?

im all for alternative medicene if only to relieve pressure on the NHS etc but people really need more info

i think thats the main issue with cancer 'cures' there still isnt enough public understanding of how science works etc. eg in the US some states have demanded that schools state that evolution is theory not fact.. how many schools then state that a theory is basically the idea that has stood up the best to all the available data?

ok that should make sence but then again ive spent a while at the pub and its now 153 hmm bed time me thinks....

back

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

I've met a raw-foodist too, she was quite pleasant so I just nodded an smiled. Didn't want to say that anyone with even GCSE Biology could blow her argument to bits

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: newgabe

OK I'm not posting this as a fact, but as a question.
The immune system primarily deals with 'foreign' stuff eg viruses that come into the body. True?

Cancer cells are not 'foreign'. They are a massive proliferation of some of own body cells (that have made a mistake in the process of division, which is incredibly complex and happens so many times per second that it's hardly surprising that occsionally it goes wrong)

So most of the time our immune system does not destroy our own cells,even cancerous ones, even when it is functioning well. If it did, we would have some sort of auto-immune disease. Our immune system is not designed to recognise the exact type of mutation that leads to cancerous proliferation... expecting it to would be like asking the washing machine to make our toast.

Am I on track here?

Well, you're dead-on. Except many cancers produce proteins in the wrong amounts or the wrong combinations or even proteins that aren't made by healthy cells.

But this is exactly why cancer is such a problem to the human body.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

It always kind of tripped me out thinking about things like Cancer as evolutionarily helpful. That is, if a species has a certain self destruct mechanism built in, it will help the natural selection process. The worst think evolutionarily would be to keep a species alive past it's breeding age. Damn old people eating all my food. wink

That was my deep psuedo-science thought of the day.

NYC, the "good of the species" thing is generally rejected in evolutionary biology. It's more a "selfish gene" thing.

Besides, if evolution is about the "good of the species" then how can we explain YOUR presence? wink

-Mike

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
From my limited understanding cancer is not a "self destruct mechanism," it's not meant to happen same as a car is not meant to fall to bits and I would have thought it wouldn't have much effect on evolution as up till relatively recently we would have died from other causes (hunger, disease, saber-tooth hampster) before getting old enough for cancer to really be an effect.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Domino

Saber-tooth hampster

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

-Mike

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
ohhh where can we get these saber tooth hamsters? smile

i think Domino thats part of the issue - humans havnt evolved in such a way that makes our current lifespans natural

are bodies jsut arnt really set up for it tongue

but there are many ways that they're trying to adjust this smile

back

Page: