Forums > Social Discussion > Religion: A mental illness?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Simian

ah, israel. Just another justification for my thesis that religious belief should be treated the same as any other mental illness. But that's another discussion entirely...

Well, this is another discussion entirely. smile

Thoughts?

I'm inclined to agree.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
Written by:

While formerly Islam was tolerating other beliefs in it's surrounding, it's very intolerant these days.

Written by:

If you'd take a closer look at the world you might come to the exact same statement.

I dont think you understand why I have a problem with this. You CANNOT generalise a billion individuals with such a sweeping brush. To do so is quite blantant racism.

Written by:

I was not pointing out at the individual Muslim, who is an individual HUMAN BEING, but at the islamic movement as a whole

The Islamic movement as some form of unitary whole is a figment of your imagination. If you're refering to certain subsections of Islam, which currently practice repressive an intolerant systems of governance then fine - refer to those groups specifically rather than suggest that all muslims are the same.

Written by:

Intolerance also is not insultive and just deriving from a lack of education (and tolerance). As many muslim leaders (these days) regard the West, Christianity and Judaism as a threat, they react very intolerant to it.

My last comment about looking into reasons as to why a large percentage of the Islamic world is currently heading down an intolerant path was an attempt to make you think about WHY things are moving in that direction. It obviously failed as you simply put this down to lack of education (I think you probably mean a certain type of eductaion which is largely fundamentalist indoctrination - but this is my interpretation... as it reads its a suggestion that you think they're just stupid) and lack of tolerance. Saying that intolerance is caused by a lack of tolerance is utterly meaningless. Its called tautology and Roland Barthes gives an excellent insight into the way in which its used to construct myths such as the Islamic whole in 'Mythologies'

Perhaps instead you might want to consider the history of European powers rule over the middle east through League of Nations mandates, installation of unpopular and repressive puppet regimes post WW2 to secure favourable trade, financial and military support for coups such as the one which saw the installation of the Shah (another unpopular, corrupt and repressive ruler) in Iran, support for the state of Israel, the war in Afghanistan, the war in Iraq, the slaughter of Bosnian Muslims, the repression of Chechenyan Muslims, the bombing of the Al-Shifa medicene factory in Khartum, Sudan which prevented tens of thousands of people (according to the german ambassador to the Sudan) from receiving treatment for curable diseases which if left untreated would prove fatal....

The list could go on for pages and still not come close giving all the reasons for the rise of Islamic Fundamentalism, or how the factors interact to impact upon the present, or how the different factors weigh differently in the mind of every individual.

But it does show that your reductionism and universalisation is no way to try and understand the world and the problems its inhabitants collectively face.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
eek you are certainly trynig hard to misunderstand me.... and you succeed...

I will have to take a few to digest and come up with a appropriate answer.

meditate

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Written by: dream

I dont think you understand why I have a problem with this. You CANNOT generalise a billion individuals with such a sweeping brush. To do so is quite blantant racism.

I do NOT generalise a billion individuals with my statement. I was referring to a movement, an ideology - in no case I have put this upon the individual and my previous reply should have made clear what I was intending to point out. As you decide to continously get my post wrong, I will rephrase it:

Whilst Islam (as a religion) has previously been tolerating other faiths in its area - which lead to a highly blossoming culture and (as an example) to cities like the historical Cordoba - these days it seems to turn into a very intolerant movement and cracks down on the "rest" of mankind. This can be observed in many different regions, where the Islam is the dominating religion. Not only in the middle east and in the conflict between members of the Arabic league and Israel, but also in countries like Malaysia and Indonesia. Foreigners in general and also their fellow citizens of different faith are subject to hostility and sometimes violence, until killing. This can clearly be observed by anybody following the international press.

I am NOT investigating the reasons for this movement, please excuse me, as I am certainly NOT acting as a judge upon the movement/ religion of Islam - I just try to point out that every religion in past and present is undergoing certain ups and downs, which more or less affect the rest of the world. Herein I neither seek to condemn, nor to justify actions that are certainly against my understanding and principles.

Also I will NOT list EVERY sub-group or part of the Islamic movement, that commits itself to fundamentalism and certainly NOT list every islamic nation in which womens and human rights are neglected, or abused. These human rights violations also occur in the US and even my very own country, Germany, and I certainly CANNOT seek justification or it in the "war on terror" and "collateral damage". I am not following the "tit-for-tat" ideology.

I certainly agree upon your statement, that the arabic world has been the target for western/ european imperialism. Hence you may well take into account that the islamic world has undergone the very same strategy itself in history. Just because one has been more recently successful in cheating and eliminating "enemies" or persuing aims on a larger scale, doesn't provide a "right" to the other to do just as like or to retaliate by killing innocent people.

If this is your aim: "fundamentalist extremists of Islam have every right to bomb the western world and therefore to even out the records" - we are certainly not sharing the same belief-system.

But I do not want this thread to turn into another fruitless debate between two member of the board, therefore I try to cut this down as much as possible:

Written by:

(...)refer to those groups specifically rather than suggest that all muslims are the same(...)

I would like you to point out where in my post you find, that I suggest that all muslims are the same. This is your interpretation of my sentence, not my intention - I have pointed that out, you refuse my clarification - *shrug* what can I do?

My last comment (...) was an attempt to make you think about WHY things are moving in that direction.

It obviously failed as you simply put this down to lack of education (...) it reads its a suggestion that you think they're just stupid (...)

This is a thread about religion and further maybe about it's impact on the individual, or mankind as a whole, dream, not about world politics (even though both are sometimes identical as we have discovered earlier in this thread). I am very aware of the "why's" - at least I consider myself as such, but this is only explanation - never justification.

However you will not find me calling someone "smart/ intelligent" just because s/he holds a degree in Physics. Some of the smartest people I have ever met, didn't even attend elementary school. Intelligence is not tought in school - in school the intellect is trained.

Do you want to oppose my statement, that intolerance is also a lack of knowledge and understanding?

But it does show that your reductionism and universalisation is no way to try and understand the world and the problems its inhabitants collectively face.

censored wink Also the title of this thread doesn't read: "Tom and how he would save the planet/ mankind - a short manual" wink

But if you want me to write you a book about how I see the world right now and what problems need to be encountered and possibly solved (en detail), you better send me food and money for accomodation so I can sit down the next 6 month to phrase it out to you. I am certain that you will be surprised how similar our views of the world are... So please chill, dream.

Gremlin_Loumember
131 posts

Posted:
All religions go through this phase of burn and kill what is different.

Islam will eventually go through a reform, when it will be as peaceful as the other two Abrahamic Faiths, and Buddhism and Hindusim etc etc.

You might not believe me, but look at the Crusades, who then would have though Xtians could be peace loving suburbanites?

'If your deeds shouldn't be known, perhaps they shouldn't be done, if your words shouldn't be shared, perhaps they shouldn't be spoken. Act with attention, for all your acts have consequences" (Rabbi Judah HaNassi)

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
For a minute there, I couldn't tell what you meant by "Xtian." Did you make that up? It's pretty cool. I might use it.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Makes Christians sound like some kind of cult worshiping an intergalactic alien. umm

Is Gremlin LouLou woried about saying Christ?

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Oops - by the way I forgot to say "thankya" to dream for making me aware that my statement could be misinterpreted...

So: "thankya", dream hug

Xtians... umm I guess you take the usage for "X" in a slightly different context, dear... because then it would be "Crosstians"... smile how about "H'bros" then? umm wink

I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Written by: FireTom

Oops - by the way I forgot to say "thankya" to dream for making me aware that my statement could be misinterpreted...

So: "thankya", dream hug

Xtians... umm I guess you take the usage for "X" in a slightly different context, dear... because then it would be "Crosstians"... smile how about "H'bros" then? umm wink

Israe1337s

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol

You mean as in Israe LEETs ?
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1139718706)

I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Exactly.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I remember reading somewhere that the Jewish faith prohibited the mention of God's name. Xtians probably comes from respecting that idea.

1,189 posts

Posted:
But there's nothing in Christianity about mentioning Christ's name and conventional Judaism doesn't recognise his divinity. So it's all a bit silly really. Interestingly just saying Jehova or whatever you call god's name is meant to cause instant death according to some branches of Judaism.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Gremlin_Loumember
131 posts

Posted:
I have NO idea where it came from - I think it as just a shortcut I picked up on somewhere :S

Oh and G-ds names is YHVH, with certain vowels omitted...The Jehova's Witnesses got it wrong (and apparently they fully admit it). I certainly mean no disrespect by Xtians, its just shorter and i'm lazy. You can't say G-ds name out of respect, I don't think you drop dead, but i've never tried it. However, I have had friends mock me with it and they've not died yet. Isral33ts is great tho beerchug

If people are honestly offended, I won't use it. Just let me know.

But about the religion being a mental illness thing, I will use the typical reasoned religious response. YOUR WRONG! WRONG WRONG WRONG! HERETICS! THE LOT OF YOU!

angel

'If your deeds shouldn't be known, perhaps they shouldn't be done, if your words shouldn't be shared, perhaps they shouldn't be spoken. Act with attention, for all your acts have consequences" (Rabbi Judah HaNassi)

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: Gremlin_Lou

YOUR WRONG! WRONG WRONG WRONG! HERETICS! THE LOT OF YOU!

ubblol ubblol

You'd be suprised how often I get that wink

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

1,189 posts

Posted:
There's a great article in answersingenesis.com where a young fundementalist Christian is apply for a Christian coledge. The Professor on the phone chides him for his idolisation of the Bible. The young man counters (without irony) that we know the Bible is the infallable word of God because the Bible says it is the infallable word of God and being the infallible word it God it could not be wrong about being the infallable word of God.

Believe it or not it was the young man who wrote the article!

Written by: David S. MacMillan III (no, that's really his name)

The professor indicated that he had given up on a six-day interpretation of creation because of scientific “evidence.” I replied that as “all Scripture is given by inspiration of God,” and Scripture itself should be its own best interpretational guide. He countered by exclaiming that I was “making an idol” of the Bible. Not my interpretation of what the Bible teaches, but THAT the Bible itself was my idol! I was somewhat taken aback. I quoted John chapter 1: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” Also, Psalm 138:2: “For You have magnified Your Word above all Your name.” I said that making an idol of Scripture sounded like a good idea to me, as it is the living Word of God! He replied again that I was “just making an idol of the Bible,” and went on.

He also goes on to say that plants arent alive.

Here the link to answers in genesis

And on a completely unrelated note here's a link to wikipedia's article on logical fallacies
EDITED_BY: jeff(fake) (1139818933)

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
Not a mental ilness, a part of your brain, I personally don't believe in a religion, but it still; nonetheless is a controversial issue.

I'm gonna cut you up so bad, you gonna wish I ain't cut you up so bad.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Hey Gremlin: so I understand that the Bible says - "G-d created Adam(s) and Eve(s)" - not as a singular - not as a couple, but may have created several Adams and Eves... Right?

The original text was in Aramaic, no? Then translated in Hebrew and/ or Greek, then translated into Latin, then translated into the individual languages (German, English, French, etc.) For sure on the ways through the translators offices the text became corrupted and changed a hundred times over... or as Hebrew is a kind of hieroglyphic writing, the words can have a few different meanings - depending on how you look at/ interprete them.

It kind-of amuses me when people believe so hard in something they only hold a fading blueprint of... it's like drinking the water just before it pours into the ocean, rather than heading for the source, claiming it's purest...

Gremlin_Loumember
131 posts

Posted:
Nope.

And Nope again...

Hebrew is not a hierglyphical language anymore than Russian, Arabic, Gujarati or anything else that uses a slightly different alphabet.

Also, the Old Testament (what we call the Torah & Tanakh) were in Hebrew originally, it is the New Testament that was written in an assortment of languages, including Aramaic and Greek.

The difference between, say Eygptian & Hebrew is the fact that Eygptian would have, say, an image to represent a Cat. And another image to respresent a Fish. However a Catfish, would be a completelt different image. Sign-Language is technically a hieraglyphical language as it uses separate signs for each object. In Hebrew, like English, words ares created using a combination of letters, from the Alef-Bet (or, alphabet)!

So, although there are technically different ways to interpret the sentences, there aren't different ways to interpret the words.

If you get me...

The Adam and Eve thing comes from the literal translation, which is 'And G-d called them Eve and and called them Adam' implying a pluralism. It is the source of much debate....
EDITED_BY: Gremlin_Lou (1139854593)

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
i think we all just think too much

seize the day and bloody well enjoy it!!!

kiss

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Written by: jeff(fake)

There's a great article in answersingenesis.com where a young fundementalist Christian is apply for a Christian coledge. The Professor on the phone chides him for his idolisation of the Bible. The young man counters (without irony) that we know the Bible is the infallable word of God because the Bible says it is the infallable word of God and being the infallible word it God it could not be wrong about being the infallable word of God.

Believe it or not it was the young man who wrote the article!

Written by: David S. MacMillan III (no, that's really his name)

The professor indicated that he had given up on a six-day interpretation of creation because of scientific “evidence.” I replied that as “all Scripture is given by inspiration of God,” and Scripture itself should be its own best interpretational guide. He countered by exclaiming that I was “making an idol” of the Bible. Not my interpretation of what the Bible teaches, but THAT the Bible itself was my idol! I was somewhat taken aback. I quoted John chapter 1: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” Also, Psalm 138:2: “For You have magnified Your Word above all Your name.” I said that making an idol of Scripture sounded like a good idea to me, as it is the living Word of God! He replied again that I was “just making an idol of the Bible,” and went on.

He also goes on to say that plants arent alive.

Here the link to answers in genesis
And on a completely unrelated note here's a link to wikipedia's article on logical fallacies

You have neglected to include the matter that the young man was responding to, which has caused you to misrepresent what the kid was claiming. The professor was trying to convince the young man to only consider Genesis Chapter Two by itself, instead of reading it in light of Chapter One. The kid quoted that “all Scripture is given by inspiration of God,” in order to establish that the Bible asks us to consider "all scripture," you can't just pick and choose what you want in order to fit your own personal interpretation.

In believing that God inspired the scriptures, the young man has made no more of a logical error than you did when you claimed that "it was the young man who wrote the article." You have chosen to believe your claim because you read it, and because you apparently trust the source to be reliable on the issue. In the same way, the young man has chosen to believe what the Bible says because he read it, and he trusts the source to be reliable on the issues that it addresses.

Neither of you can be accused of a logical fallacy. Both of you merely have faith.

However, I do disagree with his interpretation of the quotes from John and Psalms. Those passages are speaking about the Messiah as being "the Word," not the Bible. He actually does seem to me to be making an idol out of the Bible, which is wrong. The Bible is just a creation, and we should not worship it. His reply to the professor should not have been that it is ok to idolize the Bible, but instead that it is ok to worship God, and a valid part of that worship is believing what God has told us.

By the way, plants are not "alive" in the sense that animals are "alive" when you are speaking in Hebrew. The kid is correct on that issue.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
OK, Lou - thanks for updating me upon the first language the old testament was written in.

But after my informations in fact many interpretations of the words are possible... In a way that even the fundamental meaning of some sentences is changed. The letters also mean numbers (and what was the third meaning of the hebrew letters again?), right? But as there have been no vowels to the letters the meaning of the words change, if you pronounce them differently - am I wrong?

So G-d "called them" Adam and g-d called them Eve.. plural, huh? Also that was new to me... Many new things one can learn at HoP social discussions... YAY

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
Written by:

although there are technically different ways to interpret the sentences, there aren't different ways to interpret the words.

There is always a multiplicity of ways of interpreting words. They are only abstractions used to represent reality, not the reality themselves.

Interpretation depends on the subjectivity of the reader, which in turn is determined by the totality of his existence, and the inter and extra-textual experiences s/he has encountered in his/her lifetime.

Language is ambiguity

Otherwise people would agree a hell of a lot more

smile

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
drags in soap box for Narr

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: Patriarch917

You have neglected to include the matter that the young man was responding to, which has caused you to misrepresent what the kid was claiming.

I disagree. What I wrote is exactly what the kid was claiming.

In believing that God inspired the scriptures, the young man has made no more of a logical error than you did when you claimed that "it was the young man who wrote the article." You have chosen to believe your claim because you read it, and because you apparently trust the source to be reliable on the issue. In the same way, the young man has chosen to believe what the Bible says because he read it, and he trusts the source to be reliable on the issues that it addresses.

Neither of you can be accused of a logical fallacy. Both of you merely have faith.

Wrong again. There is a huge difference between trusting this source and believing in the Bible. If I were to claim I had a horse in my garden, you would probably believe me. If I said I had a unicorn, you would demand proof. Since there has never been any verified act of god or supernatural occurance it's rational to doubt the existance of god, and thus the inpiration of the Bible. However young men who have next to no grasp of logic are very common, and if I were in the mood I could concievably find him and evidence for his authorship of the article.

Thus he commits a logical fallacy, and I have no faith.

By the way, plants are not "alive" in the sense that animals are "alive" when you are speaking in Hebrew.

Indeed. Just one of the many flaws in Hebrew. Plants are alive in exactly the same way animals are.

I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
You seem to claim that faith in anything that can't be verified in the present is a "logical fallacy." This is an incorrect use of the label. Many people believe that life evolved by chance from nonliving materials. This cannot be verified in the present (since it is something that happened in the past), but it is not a "logical fallacy" to have this opinion. Of course, your point is moot since there is verifiable proof of a supernatural occurrence (the presence of the natural world), and you can verify the existence of God at any point simply by dying.

It is not a “flaw” in Hebrew to be more precise about the kind of life they are speaking of. Greek has more words for the concept of "love" than English does (agape, etc.). Someone who speaks Hebrew would probably consider English flawed because we can't describe the difference between plant and animal life in a single word. Just because another culture speaks differently doesn’t mean they are inferior. Plants are not alive in the way that animals are, else we would not need the words “plant” and “animal,” we could simply call them planimals.

1,189 posts

Posted:

You seem to claim that faith in anything that can't be verified in the present is a "logical fallacy." This is an incorrect use of the label. Many people believe that life evolved by chance from nonliving materials. This cannot be verified in the present (since it is something that happened in the past), but it is not a "logical fallacy" to have this opinion.

That's just it. It's an opinion, not a belief. I no more believe in the abiotic origin of life than I believe that the sun will eventually run out. I simply regard it as the most likely answer based on the evidence I have at had.

Of course, your point is moot since there is verifiable proof of a supernatural occurrence (the presence of the natural world), and you can verify the existence of God at any point simply by dying.

That isn't proof of a supernatural occurance. There are plenty of speculative explaintation for the origins or existance (see OWD's theory of everything thread) but there isn't any reason why the proscess by which the universe came into existance was a conscous entity exhibiting a range of human emotions. And since death is non returnable it's irrelevent to a discussion within the living world.

Plants are not alive in the way that animals are, else we would not need the words “plant” and “animal,” we could simply call them planimals.

My table is not alive in exactly the same way a spoon is, perhaps we should have one word for the both of them. I'm sorry but plants are alive in exactly the same way in which animals are.

Gremlin_Loumember
131 posts

Posted:
Not alive in the same way. SENTIENCE is the key here.

My pet rats will scream and squeak if I hit them (or don't feed them, or don't give them some of my chocolate, or if they don't come out for at least 3 hours a day or even just randomly at 3am when I have to be up at six to get to the hospital....). However, I can hit a tree all I want, but it aint gonna cry out out. A tree isn't sentient, an animal is, the concept of pain and intelligent learning is what seperates a tree from an animal.

Since we're talkign about tree's, Happy Tu'B'Shevat for Monday just gone. Thats the Hebrew New Year for Tree's....(we get 4 new years every year!)

About the words thing, I know what I mean and thats whats important....Each word doesn't have a different meaning, but in sentences anything can be intepretted? Meh, i know what I mean.

Most rules are based on either tradition or interpretations, unlike Xtianity, Jewdism & Islamication both have texts on their Holy Books which are written by learned people and given almost as much weight as the books themselves. Ours is called the Talmud (unsure about the Muslim one), and its from here that most of the crazy rules originate from, eg, a woman lighting the Shabbat candles or the Menorah candles and not a man. No particular reason, other than woman is usually home while man is away working, so it works better. All the advice is culturally specific.

Even the Bible is culturally specific - when G-d created us He must have known that we and society would evolve - the rules were for people back then, not now. So stoning adulterous people today, would be a very stupid thing to do. Unless you lived in Saudi Arabia, where its culturally common....

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Gremlin you may well know what you mean when writing a sentence... but the one who reads it?

Pretty boring

more readable

and more

There are more and more important examples... this was just coming up instantly...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Ooops, Genesis One, wong thread smile
EDITED_BY: Stone (1140338896)

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

1,189 posts

Posted:
Newest article from answersingenesis.com...

Gay marriage-how should a Christian respond to it?

Personally I feel like going out an marrying some guy just to spite those assholes. wink

Page: ......