Forums > Social Chat > need some serious help with this....(magazine)

Login/Join to Participate

KTmember
54 posts

Posted:
would you guys like a magazine strictly about fire? and if there was one what sort of content would you be after? i think im going to do my magazine brief on twirling, (for my computer graphic design course) ec and everything involved, because i know more about this topic than my other choice drum and bass, unless i incororate the two, in which they dont really go together anyway, so fire it is? what would you like to see in it? any suggestions on the name of it....ec.ec.ec, and if there are any of you who would like to contribute articles ec? ummm..........PLEASE HELP. tell me what you think ppl? (on the world wide scene in fire)........Oh and if there are any creative ppl out there that may have images, designs that i could possibly use for anything...cover, ads..ec. also if you would like an add of your own in it, i would love to use it!(What would the people like?)thanks veri much!KT smile[This message has been edited by KT (edited 06 April 2001).]

KTmember
54 posts

Posted:
also if there are any creative people out there that would like to contribute artwork, images or designs relating to fire, i would appriciate it veri much! & any one that would like an ad they have (for whatever) put in, please dont hesitate to give it to me...hehe....but yeah cheers,kt

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I would love to contribute! I have a little history on it but you are from NZ so you may have a lot more. I have only got my sorces from libraries and internet in the USA. I do have a lot of photos though, and I could write up a little piece. (Portrait of an american fire spinner? smile ) Will you have a mailing list? Who do I send stuff to and would you like my address? My e-mail is (for an e-mail list) or I will check this chat room for further info. thanksskichristian------------------FIRE IS ALIVE! IT LIVES AND BREATHS! IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS! BUT WE CONTROL IT, AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey KTI'd like to see interviews with outstanding twirlers...(start with Malcolm) smileI'd like to see a move breakdown done by a good fire twirler - perhaps each issue could have a my favourite combo section with a series of photoes and a description?I'd like to see at least one article on fire toy construction..I'd like to see a column dedicated to performance, crowd interaction / control etcI'd like to see a column on safety.You could also have a couple of pages at the back with Ads for fire performance groups...toy suppliers...You could have a listing of twirling resources...Josh

Skyemember
33 posts

Posted:
KTI'd be happy to contribute stuff if you get this magazine idea off the ground. I've got a journalism background. Are you thinking about launching an on-line magazine or a real paper one?Skye

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Josh has got it! I would love to learn more about Malcolm, and the other spinners in NZ. More history, how to make fire toys, diffrent color fire, new moves, festival line ups!, you could go on and on! smile If you need any help I am here for you! grinSkiChristian

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm.... I am a fairly competent painter and did some fire inspired work after I met the woman who introduced me to poi... although the "art" sections of many such 'zines is often a little cheezy, I'd love to contribute.... have you considered making it an e-zine?Drop me an e-mail....

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
KT,great idea. smilein terms of content..... what josh said! smile

TheCleanermember
23 posts

Posted:
I'm calling out DangerBoy on this one. At the risk of sounding like a stalker, I've been to his web page and his talent is something to behold. His work would be a great asset to this project.

KTmember
54 posts

Posted:
well let me tell you a bit about what im doing. at the moment im doing a computer graphic design course, and we have been given a brief to do which is a contempory magazine, which can be on whatever subject we choose, and i have chosen fire, which is something im passionate about, which makes the brief a hell of a lot better to do! we have two weeks to do it, some ppl that did the course last year sold their work, so if this works and everyone loves it it is possible that i do a monthly one on fire! my email address is KTB@dazedandconfused.com so any articles you guys have or can write, wikid! everyone must remember though that there is such thing as copywrite, and just be careful that everything is original, thanks.......kt

KTmember
54 posts

Posted:
big thank you to all these replys, please email with what you want to see in the mag, and if you would like an ad put in for yourself or someone dont hesitate to send whatever! really appriciate everything, KT wink[This message has been edited by KT (edited 09 April 2001).]

KTmember
54 posts

Posted:
thinking of articles such as 'origins of poi''origins of fire poi/staff ec, and what its all about?''whats involved with fire''the people' (being us, everyone here)'interviews' ie Malcolm, and anyone else here who has alot of knowledge, info or are performers themselves'ads for you guys, ie, a ad for whats sold on this site. if you guys are in that industry and want an ad done for publicity please give me the details for it.i also need to do profiles on people, but for this brief we need to do three maori of pacific island profiles, so you nz'ers if this aplys to you! please email meKTB@dazedandconfused.comHappi twirlingKT i still need a name for my mag any suggestions?

KTmember
54 posts

Posted:
im flagging the whole fire magazine, because i cant get enough info together and crap so yeah, sorri all who may have been interested. But yeah maybe one day when in the near future after i have finished my course i'll go ahead with it.thanx allKT frown

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Hi KTSorry to hear that you are abandoning the project.If it is a one off magazine I would have thought you would have a whole magazine worth of content already- history of poi- poi today- how to make your own poi- poi lesson- interview with Malcom- Poi around the World, profiles from Poi'ers around the World- Fire festivals- Fire show at Sydney Olympics- Poi links & Shops, advertismentspacked with photos, many of which the poi heads you interview can lend you. If you go ahead with the project in the future, I'm sure that there are a ton of people who would love to help out.Good luck with whatever project you decide to do.Kat

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

KTmember
54 posts

Posted:
thanks all, good to know there is support out there for when i do, do it! Because i think there should be one and i will experiment with it one day! I fly home at 2:30 today! yay...........happpi easter everyone!KT