phoenix_keikanewbie
6 posts

Posted:
I'm new to poi and even newer to staff twirling, so I'll throw this out there: I'd like to pick up staff as well as the poi that I'm already doing, so whats the fastest, easiest, cheapest way to make a staff? Do they need weights on both ends? Or should I just go find myself a broomstick biggrin

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Well If you want it easy then yeah a broom stick with some grip stuck in the middle will do. Common grip is usually tennis racquet style. Or old innertube wound tight and taped down also works well.
I built my own staff to practice with out of some 3/4 inch chrome tubing (look in the shower and curtain rail sections at a hardware store) and some 18mm wooden dowel at the same length. Then I put some foam bike grips on the ends (padding) and in the middle. Works a treat and then you can fit wick at a later date when you get more confident.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ditto

broom handles cost £1 - you can put tennis balls on the end for a bit of balance also smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
would go with the broom handle and tennis balls for super cheap, the rails you buy from supermarkets are quite expensive for what they are £5-6 from BandQ in the UK for a 4ft length...

If you have a metal merchant near, it is worth popping in and having a look at what they have, they will sell you a tube for a lot less if they have one....

You should be able to get old bike inner tubes from a local bike shop for free too if you want to make it uber cheap...

Intalamember
86 posts

Posted:
I made my own... bought a 1.5 meter wooden rail (about 22 or was it 25? mm thick) and wound half an innertube on each side, so it won't hit me too hard, make too much noise when it falls or poke someone's eye out when I (unintentionally) send it flying once again. I'm still not sure if the length is right... I might shorten it up a bit, but for now it's fine.

Love, Intala

Practise Harry, practise

Sphearmember
60 posts

Posted:
Hardware store sells galvanized 1/2" pipe for 7 bucks for 10ft.... gets you 2 staves in one, then you can put wicking on it as well....

Worked for me, but now I'm poor.... ubbrollsmile

Everything meets in the center...

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
Zinc coatings are bad mkay... Well, at least according to the guide on this site

d-eyeGOLD Member
60 posts

Posted:
Places that make aluminium fencing, gates and security doors will often sell you aluminium tubing for decent prices.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
simple quick practice staff.

Take a wooden broom handle, or similar item lying around.

Take two old ratty t-shirts (you know the ones we mean... rolleyes

Take some duct tape...

Roll 1 t-shirt widthwise (so it is the longest when finished) and wind the new 't-shirt rope around the end of the broomstick like a coil, about an inch or two from the end.

Use duct tape to attach it, and cover compltely with lots of room eitehr side for just the tape.

Repeat with other t-shirt, and other end.

PLAY! weavesmiley juggle ubbangel
EDITED_BY: Charles (1126342811)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Same as everyone else, broom handle, but with hessian on both ends, tied on with a bit of wire... if neat gives the closest look (except for the wire) but it was drilled into us, not to light those ones on fire (let's say it this way, I walked out of the tent, and one end fell off, didnt even twirl it)

Toastermember
1 post

Posted:
PVC pipe.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Phoenix K, have you made a practice staff yet?

Whats it like?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?