PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
I know there are many people, even some on this board, who think that airport security is absoutely necessary. They feel we are taking adequate precautions against anyone getting on board one of our civilian aircraft with a deadly weapon. They think that the x-raying of belongings, the metal detectors, the drug-sniffing dogs, the removing of shoes and patting down of old ladies is proving an effective weapon against terrorism.

Not.

Over the weekend, I went on a short plane ride to Baltimore. Upon arriving at the Buffalo International airport, I obediently removed my shoes, my watch, my belt, sunglasses, cel phone and keys, relinquished my carry-on baggage to a stranger, and walked through the state-of-the-art metal detector. No alarms, no flashing lights, I'm free to go. After dressing myself for the second time that day, I board the plane and fly into Baltimore/Washington International Airport. I arrived at my hotel and I began going through my carry-on bag. Whilst rummaging to the bottom, I discovered my 4-inch, stainless steel, lockblade knife. eek I didn't intentionally pack it. I had used the same bag a week earlier to go camping, and must have left it in by mistake.

If I can accidentally get a razor-sharp knife through our much-praised homeland security, is the trillion-dollar price tag really worth it? confused

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Yep... just goes to show.

There is no possible way to protect against attack - but these things are a deterant.

smile

Getting to the other side smile

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
An acquaintance of mine got pulled up at Sydney Airport. A harmless looking business man in suit, with overnight bag small enough for carry-on.

The security guy asks him to "please come this way" then proceeded to go through his belongings and whatnot. My friend asked why he was being searched, to which the security guy said "We have to search a certain number of people each day and you look like the type who wouldn't mind and won't abuse me for doing my job...."

What a farce.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Bwahahahaha!!! Only you!

Does this mean I get to pat you down for it when we go camping next weekend? devil

I've taken a corkscrew on a plane that was in my purse that I forgot was there. Nothing.
I've had a pointy, metal nail file that a theme park told me to remove from my purse because it could be used as a weapon allowed on the plane.
I've taken lighters, two of them, on a plane when they were supposed to be contraban (I didn't know it until I got off the plane though) and could very easily have purchased a bottle of vodka and lit something up.
On my way to and from NZ I was given *real* (meaning metal) eating utensils for my dinner on the plane.

I think the bells and whistles are stupid, but I don't care as long as I am not late for my plane and as long as they do it to everyone else too.

Glad yer home...I'm going to call you tonite...fair warning! wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Something similar happened to me. I went to thailand with a razor blade in my mobile phone cover.
The phone was x-rayed in 2 airports and nothing showed up. I only noticed after i arrived. Ther phone was in my pocket so i could have taken it out during the flight and slit somone open.

btw the razor blade is always in my phone cover as an always be prepared kind of thing.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I know there are many people, even some on this board, who think that airport security is absoutely necessary

I think it is, but agree it's crap at the moment. We flew to Holland from Coventry in the UK a couple of months ago. Upon arrival in the UK there was no checks other than passport control. There were getting onto the flight, but I was getting into a taxi home within 10 mins of the plane touching down. Going into Holland at a big (dare I say proper) airport it was much more rigerous.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I had a knife in my bag when I was flying to Cyprus... took it into work the day before to peel an orange and forgot it was there. Noone at Glasgow airport found it, but the guys in Prague where I changed planes did.

He asked me to look at my bag, and usually people take my keys for a knife (don't ask me why) or want to see my insulin pen, so I wasn't too worried, until he pulled out the knife ubblol

I told him to keep it and made some nice comments on how Czech security was far superior to Scottish, so he just smiled and let me off smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
My sister (bless) couldn't understand what the problem was with taking one of the presents she got at christmas as hand luggage on the plane back to jersey with her. A full box set of cutterly. Ummmm.....

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
You can take butter knives at least, I discovered this at one point when i had wanted to have silverware handy.. Yes, my nail clippers and tweezers get taken. They searched my because I had twisty hair ornaments (They were "suspiciously like corckscrews").

But I've taken razors on numerous times by accident, and all that other good stuff. But they took away my swiss army card because of the scissors. Dude, I mean, those things cut paper, but they're less than an inch long and probably cannot cut flesh....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
i had my umbrella taken off me from hand luggage, i don't know what bthey thought i was going to do with it, it was small and collapsible... and dead cheap, they wouldn't even let me leave it at the airport, it got packed into the hold luggage seperately and turned up on the doorstep courtesy of british airways the next day..... but i was in venice airport recently and they were being well strict, getting people to take off their shoes and all jewellery and practically strip naked.... well ok, not THAT bad....

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
The whole thing seems a little big silly because you if you can easily kill someone with a ball-point pen, what's the point in confiscating their tweezers and nail files? It's good to stop people going on with 8" knives and molotov cocktails, but please, let me keep my tweezers in my toilet bag. smile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Skittishmember
64 posts

Posted:
When i went to australia, i stopped off in singapore airport to refuel, coincidentally, so did the plane... i digress, anyway most of the security officers were asleep so we probably could have got on the plane with anything.

So what your saying is, if I take just ONE more pill...

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I said this before in another thread... what use is it to stop people taking nail files and spray deodorants but encourage them to buy glass bottles of high % alcohol and perfumes in duty free? confused

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I thought they didn't like spray deoderents because they are pressurised containers, rather than their flammability?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

The whole thing seems a little big silly because you if you can easily kill someone with a ball-point pen

That seemed to roll off the tongue pretty easily.... how would you come to know something like that sethis wink ubblol

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I watched Grosse Point Blanc. tongue

Anyone else see this amazing film? Actually... that's WAY off topic so maybe not... It's an ace opening scene with the cyclist... ubblol

1,643 posts

Posted:
ah-hah, i have seen it, i don't remember that part.... if only, then i'd know how to kill someone with a biro....

there's that thing with the icicle too, perfect murder weapon and all that, i wonder if they'd let you on a plane with an icicle..... ubbloco

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Nah, icicle leaves a big hole...

Much better to inject a syringe of air into someone's bloodstream through the artery/vein in their groin... Whoops, I guess I've been thinking about this too much wink

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Or you could catch the artery in their leg with just about anything that is even remotely sharp. The blood will hit the opposite side of a 747 cabin. Hell, if you were psycho enough you could get ceramic blades on a plane easily or even have a garotte in your belt or hat brim...

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The air thing takes alot more than just a syringe full. I learned that when I was in the hospital. biggrin

Loved Grosse Point Blank. We have it on DVD.

Hell, I have a bunch of patches on the bag I use as a carry on held on with really big and very sharp safety pins...and a pocket in it full of pens.

Huh...wonder if chewing gum, a ball point pen, and nail polish will be banned next. I mean, I think I saw McGuyver use them to blow something up once. wink

My understanding for all aerosal cans was because they are pressurized as well.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i think nail clippers have to be one of the hardest things to hurt someone with

much worse would be a shattered bit of plastic like a snapped ball point

back

SdrawkcabBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
funniest one ive had so far, my da went over to america (travels a lot as part of his job) and had recently (at the time) been to ireland and saudi arabi. so all this is on his passport.

On his return journey he gets pulled into a room and all his stuff searched etc.

Once they clear him to leave he asked for his passport back and someone had STOLE it while they were searching him!!

As far as i know since 9/11 he's the only person to get out of the states on his UK driving liscence ooooops

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

Nah, icicle leaves a big hole...

Much better to inject a syringe of air into someone's bloodstream through the artery/vein in their groin... Whoops, I guess I've been thinking about this too much wink

Yeah, because it's REAL easy to get a needle into a blood vessel on a struggling person.

Trust me, I have to get needles into screaming, squirming, fighting kids all the time. It usually requires three nurses to hold them down. It's not the sort of thing one can casually walk up to someone and do

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
What's the point of confiscating weapons if someone can kill with their own hands - no weapons necessary.

Pretty soon they'll have all the passengers flying naked - and even then people will manage to sneak things onboard with them.

Ah - As in the way of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, there'd be blades in those socks!

Back on subject - my actual opinion as to whether it's a mental illness...I wouldn't say illness, I'd say it's a dependency. Chemical or otherwise. And all dependencies can be interrupted and fought, or made worse.

There might be fact to it all - but who am I to say so? Everyone is influenced by their own lives - and my parent's "christian" way of bringing me up just deterred me from ever wanting to attend church again, or from being able to tolerate it from my family altogether.

In my first hand experience - "Religious" (christian or otherwise) people can be so full of it that they will stop at nothing to negate you and your way of thinking just to boost their egos and make themselves "feel right in the eyes of whatever higher being." But - as is true to everything - not all of them are like that....Anyway.....

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Wrong thread methinks...

Doc: Well you just make sure that they're asleep first, then "Jab, push, scream, die" Although discussing ways to kill people on a PG rated board I think is a bit iffy, even if I did start it wink

Pele: How much more than a syringeful? biggrin (I'm playing)

Sdrawkcab: I shouldn't really laugh, as that's tragic, but ubblol all the same.

jarofgreenmember
26 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Pretty soon they'll have all the passengers flying naked - and even then people will manage to sneak things onboard with them.

Ah - As in the way of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, there'd be blades in those socks!

offtopic, but why do people have a definition of being naked that involves wearing socks?

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I've been to a couple of airports where you get through all the screening, and then can buy eight inch knives in the duty free shops which they are more then happy to give you to put in hand luggage. And the logic is what?

The only thing I've had trouble with is my paraglider; loads of airlines won't take "gliders" and don't differentiate between long, pointy hang gliders and a 250L bag of cloth with string bits. Now I tell them it's clothes, lots of clothes.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
offtopic Jarofgreen....Because way back when - The Red Hot Chili Peppers performed on stage - naked - wearing only socks of their privates....

That's what I was refering to, at least. Though it wouldn't work for women, would it? smile

My sister live in New York - comes to visit every so often - without fail she's stopped at a security point and of all the things to be taken - they always take her tweezers! *snicker* And why her every time? She looks far from a terrorist of any type - she's the typical New Yorker, maybe that's just frightening in itself?

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
The last time I flew it was through O-hare airport. One of the busiest airports in the world.

I managed to accidentally get my swiss army knife through security. Mind you, I also got my I-Pod, Laptop, a compressed air tank "& valve (seperated), backpack AND laptop case at the same time, and I get a feeling I overwhelmed the poor TSA guy with gadgets and knowledge of what I could or could not get through.

He did comment on my t-shirt tho. "I steal music off the internet".

The TSA is a show of force, and is useless. I've talked with people who work in airports, they tell me that if someone wanted to, they could move anything they wanted to if they knew what they were doing. It's a show of muscle to keep the majority of people assuming they're safe.

Not that I'm jaded, but I'd feel safer putting on the costume and flying in the cargo hold in a crate.

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Written by: Spiderbaby

Something similar happened to me. I went to thailand with a razor blade in my mobile phone cover.
The phone was x-rayed in 2 airports and nothing showed up. I only noticed after i arrived. Ther phone was in my pocket so i could have taken it out during the flight and slit somone open.

btw the razor blade is always in my phone cover as an always be prepared kind of thing.

Yep! Never leaves home without a razor blade and a rolled up bank notes! j/k

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498