Forums > Social Chat > How long have you been spinnin? (EVERYONE POST)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MeneeococoaGOLD Member
torn and bleeding warrior of love
133 posts

Posted:
Hey, I really want to know something.
First off, i want to know how old everyone is. Then, i wanna know when you started and how long you have been spinning. Tell me what experience level u think u are (make one up)and tell me what you use. I'd really appriciate it. Thanx peeps.

I just had an idea! Tell me everything about you! I wanna get to know everyone, so just tell me everything. Please?

I need to find something witty for this so people like me...

Tigurmember
43 posts

Posted:
17 Male
Beaumont Alberta Canada

i spin poi for a few months, and i don't consider my level too high, i been spinning for 2 monthes and i have all the moves on the home of poi site considering poi spinning down pat, i just been throwing in some aerial techniques to spice it up a bit Shikaries (arial flips from standing) and zempo kitans (forward arial rolls from running or from stand still, but needs forward momentum)
are the 2 most simple and niceley done arial moves i have throw ins so far

Dicipline Focus Damage

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
Aussie Female
17 yrs
and i'm insane.

i 1st looked at a staff in about... ummm... april this year (i think) and had my 1st play wit it that night too. since then- i always thought "i'll never do it... " but look now!

i bought my poi at the pagan pride day markets and have been learning since. (sept 22 2002 btw).

and today.... I BOUGHT A STAFF!!!! YAY FOR ME!!! ahem anyway... i had to let it out.

and i guess my level would be... learning. still. (but i did get the corkscrew perfect on my poi yesty! after trying for a week)

enough about me...

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Male, 22 years old, Libra/Monkey.

I've been spinning fire for abou two years now.

I've been spinning in general for as long as I can remember. I've been in and out of diffirent martial arts for about 11 years, and my brother taught me basics with staff and nunchucks when I was six.

My current favorite toys:

Six and five foot staffs (Bo and Jo, for those who care)

Fire chucks (wicks on both ends)

Chain whip

Rope dart

And fire Quandao (for those who don't know a quandao is an ancient Chinese horse back weapon consisting of a two foot x eight inch blade on one end, most have a blood cup and tassle underneith this, and on the other end a spike, spiked ball or some sort of weighted evil looking thing.) For fire however I use a reular size wick on the bottom and a three foot long thick mass of wick on the top where the big blade would be.

Jesus helps me trick people.

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
16/female/tasmania (aka- hole)
ive been twirling since january this year, im self taught, followed by HoP taught, and i just failed art.

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
Awww.

Im 14, and Ive been twirling..um..lets see..*counts on fingers*.. 2 and a half years. I dont really know howgood I am at poi..uh..ask sub or tennis or spike..theyve seen me..

um yea I like poi and firepoi i wanna get a fire staff for christmas..um..

what else about me..i like rock and grunge music, Nirvana, System of a Down, Mar1lyn Man5on, Mentaporta, stuff like that.

Ooooh I have brown hair and blue eyes and im tallish. All I have pierced at the mo is ears and belly button, wanna get my lip peirced, and my tomgue..thats about it really, oh yea i like animals, and I have two pet rats, Manson and Cobain. They live in my pockets mostly, hehehe.
Anyway..yea thats me!!

Luv peace 'n' chicken grease Al X x

Virgin Wicksmember
22 posts

Posted:
okay my Go
Aussie Male, with asian background(born in australia)
17 turning 18 in 2 weeks 2 da

Started last year december 20th,
own fire poi, fire staff, electroglo staff, want to get beaming poi in future.
i can use both but rather staff
i can do most of the moves with both poi and staff but still a learner.
My wicks still haven't been lit yet (hence virgin wicks)
i play with my toys when i got the time, but i use the electroglo staff most (i love pwetty lights)

Burn Baby BURN

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
I'm brashie (used to be Spike)
21, male, big ass n little wi~~y

cutie poi girl has a very fluid style it was fun watching her spin

I've been spinnin for about a year-ish I think????
I play with, poi of various sorts, meteor and double meteor and I've just picked up abit of staff aswell over the last couple of weeks.

BBBBBOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

(did I scare YA??????)LoL

stay happy
Brashie

ask yourself this??.......... When was the last time you dug a hole you could be proud of???
answers on a post card

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
staff.
3 years I am a beginner
I used to think that I was getting quite good,
but in the last year I understood that I am a beginner
a very happy to be a beginner
For me its the best way to be.

Poi, 4 years,
Unfortunately I think I'm a bit better than beginner, which is probably why I never practice.
So I'm waiting for someone like PK, Dom, Liam, Danae or Jo to start really widening my horizons.
I sometimes think about hanging up my poi, but its just bullshit, I'll hang them up when they have nothing more to teach me. (no, 2nd thoughts I'll pass them to a newbie).

But your always safe with a good old stick, you can always go back to stick.

Never hang up your poi.

Glass

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ooh Jacob's Ladders Pele You still got them then? Still think they sound like a lethal idea.

Erm right me.

Male, English, 28 (only no one believes me).

Toys:
1 pair electroglo poi1 pair extremely heavy double ended tennis ball chains with heavy gauge ball chain and wickedly huge eyebolts for extra ouch value1 pair ninja poi1 pair light tennis ball poi lovingly crafted by the fair hands of one Fluffy Napalm Fairy (as were ninja poi)2 home made fire staffs aprox 1 metre ea. in length1 partly constructed fire staff - a bit longer and thinner than my other onesone heavish wooden and slightly bent staff I made when i first started.1 green electroglo staff1 blue electroglo staff1 newly aquired attachment/connector that transforms aforementioned electrglo staffs into uber mega double ended glo staff (thanks to Mr Strugs and a conspiratorial Napalm Fairy for that little toy )I've been spinning staff since 26th May last year. So that's a year and 5 months.
Been doing doubles since August last yearish.
And poi since about March this year.
I'm not very good with poi. Shite in fact. I think i'll stick to staffing.

[ 05 November 2002, 14:27: Message edited by: C@ntus ]

Meh

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
I've been doing poi for 1 year and 2 months. I'm 24 years old in 12 days.

I'm okay with the poi, but I'm pretty crap with everything else. Staff for 11 months (whatever comes before beginner). Contact juggling 8 or 9 months now I think.. I'm so far from even calling what I do a contact juggling 'performance'. More like a struggle against physics.

Glass, you are so humble its silly!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Look who's talking Mr FieryFlow!

MeneeococoaGOLD Member
133 posts

Posted:
see...im getting to know everyone. Now wasn't this a good idea? somebody give me a pat on the back

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You know there's a whole introduction section where the careful and/or diligent HoPper can find most of this information (about those who have bothered to post) already don't you?

Meh

MeneeococoaGOLD Member
133 posts

Posted:
yea, i knew that, but this one is special cause im getting to know them on a spiritual level too....(whew...good save...)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
About a year and a half? I think...

But what I really wanted to say was:

I HATE THIS QUESTION!!!

I'm certainly enjoying everyone's responses online but in the real world it seems to be a badge that people flash. There's always some guy who wants to impress me by the fact that he's only been spinning for two months and look how good he is.. "dude, look how good, dude only two months, pretty good for only two months huh? I mean only two months and I can already do all this, lookatme lookatme lookatmeeee!"

I average about an hour or two a week for a year and he want's me to be impressed because he's been practicing 8 hours a day for the last two months.

Maybe I'll just start lieing to make them feel better...
"19 years, I've been spinning 6 hours a day every day for the last 19 years and I still can't do a behind the back weave."... and then start hysterically crying and ask to be held.

Ug. Sorry, It's just one of my new pet peaves. NOT the asking of the question, but the guy who for some reason is desperate for ME to aknowledge his innate poi ability. If you're ever at a point in your life where you're looking to ME for approval, something is going dreadfully wrong in your life.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
About 2 1/2 yrs with the staff...

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
NYC
But that's what newbies do. (Well a few)
If they didn't get excited then they probably wouldn't keep going.
Step 1 is normally thinking you're gods gift to poi
Step 2 is realising that knowing how to do moves doesn't make you good
Step 3 is falling down a manhole cover and ...no wait that's not it.....

Errrrrrm......
The more you learn, the more you understand you don't or some shit.
What's that saying?
If you knew what you didn't know you'd be truly wise or something?
I give up.
Going to find the dark corner to crawl into.

[ 06 November 2002, 04:15: Message edited by: SmallBoy ]

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

MeneeococoaGOLD Member
133 posts

Posted:
NYC...
another thing you have to realize is that if u really love spinning, it doesn't matter what anyone else says or if they are better or not. It's all for you anf you only. Compliments frm other ppl are just icing on the cake

[ 06 November 2002, 05:07: Message edited by: Masta Rava Breaka ]

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Just turned 22, I've been spinning poi since July of last year, and staff on and off since Easter-ish this year, although I've only started properly getting into staff in the past couple of months.
I spin (poi, at least) reasonably well, but nothing compared to a lot of others I've seen. Staff, I'm still a bit of a novice.

My toys:
Set of 30" ball chain poi with 4" heads
Ultimate Performance comet poi
A pair of fire ropes (as soon as I get the kevlar rope)
Home made long (5'6") staff (when I get around to replacing the shaft )
Home made short doubles (made from the remains of my old long staff shaft)
Concentrate 3 piece inner core staff

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
UMMM. Let's see Lit my poi on my birthday 16/08
Leo (yayyyyy WE Rock!).
Very Aussie!.

Learning poi and staff and thinking of swords, whip and stilts Just loving IT!.

Anyperson can acheive anything if they don't have fear in their heart!.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
True enough MRB but I guess that's what bugs me. When I'm just spinning for fun and someone will desperately plead for my approval at how good they are in how short a time they've been spinning.

I guess, as strange as it sounds, I've never gotten obsessed with anything, including poi (GASPS!)... so people that obsess about learning expect me to join in their excitement when in actuality I'm distanceing myself due to the lack of anything else in common. Perhaps that's what I'm reacting to. I'd much rather hang out with a newbie and spin for an hour, then chill and chat/hang for the rest of the night.. then obsessively spin for hours at a time.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
(And I know I'm relatively alone on this and pass no judgement on those who actually have the dedication to become obsesses with something. It's just not me and it's tough for me to empathise!)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You saying you don't really like other spinners? or at least newbies? Or did i misunderstrad tghat part.

Meh

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
NYC - passion is different from obsession.

Poi - 10 months.
Staff - 6 months
Doubles - 4 months? (maybe longer but not very dedicated yet...)

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Mmmmm, laid back NYC .

I think I kinda get where you are coming from, although it ain't a pet peeve of mine. It just a thing where other people get so worried that they may not be "good enough" that they have to make a big deal about how long they have been spinning for, or how much they have learnt in the time. Forgetting the old adage that there is nothing new under the sun.

They don't realise that they don't have to impress me. I will sit and watch anyone spin fire, the fact that people have the willingness to pick these toys up makes me smile. I love watching all firespinners, from the enthusiastic beginner, to the old-hand. They all have something to teach.

All that being said, I don't think anyone is going the approval thing in this thread. It is just a story sharing thing, and that is sweet & fun.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

queen of wandsmember
127 posts

Posted:
I did calisthenics as a little tyke. Most of the techniques for poi and staff are also found in calisthenics, as any Aussie chick will know! When I first picked up a set of practice poi, I wasn't sure quite how to swing them, so i swung them like clubs and the rest is history!

I havent had much of a go of staff at the moment, ironic as i called myself queen of wands eh? Well actually, I should clarify. Besides the affiliation with fire, I really identify and admire that particular character in the tarot, and what she stands for seems to help me out when im in difficulty. The Queen of Wands always seems to pop up, both in readings for myself and readings done by other people! But that's another story altogether...

Did a course in st kilda for 4 weeks, and got myself a pair of hacky poi. Been practicing on and off for about 3/4 months now, lit up for second time ever the other week. I forgot how exhilerating it felt, and the WOOSH against my ears. I also remembered the way hair smells when it burns...

I'm not vegetarian, but currently I'm off my chops!

MeneeococoaGOLD Member
133 posts

Posted:
NYC
I understand where you are coming from. I guess some people just see things differently than others do and others live on compliments and praise. But, it's good to see you let your opinions and feeling known. Where's the fun in stuff if no one has a point to argue about?

[ 07 November 2002, 11:48: Message edited by: Masta Rava Breaka ]

HavocHavoc
168 posts

Posted:
hmm... been spinning poi for 8 months and staff for 1 and a half... i am 19 for the time being, although mental age is of course debateable!!!

Havoc

you have to let it all go... Fear, doubt and disbelief... Free your mind!

Times like these people wanna get High...
Real High and Real Fast...
This is gonna do it!!

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Well I took up poi in May 2000. But I am still not very good Although I do have some excuses. I banjaxed my ankle in a hockey game and was out of action for a couple of months. Then winter came (brrr -far too cold to practice outside) I lit up with fire for the first time in Spring 2001 and usually practice with fire which is why I never learn new moves (all the talk of 5-7 beat weaves and btb stuff from newbies terrifies me).

I'd love to get better but I am v. lazy and don't like hitting myself. I just dancing around like a lunatic and hearing the roar of fire round my head

Yeah baby, Yeah

But I take my hat off to those of you who practice regularly. Once the 'novelty' of poi had worn off it wasn't so much fun to go out and practice.

I took up devil stick recently and enjoy picking that up when the mood takes me.

Want to get a staff soon - More toys, more toys

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I am female
From the UK
Old enough to be Mother of SNOOPoi.

Been spinning for 3 years and 36 days.

Toys: Favourite = fire chains of which I have 2 pairs of cathedral wicks and one pair of sparkley poi, 2x fire staffs, 1 x UV/practice staff and far too many different varieties of uv poi to count them all.

Still maintaining learner status.

Are we nearly there yet?

Page: