oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
left, at the weekend i had at least one person ask me to put this on the internet... it is a way of thinking about how you spin poi and also a little excersise to practise. dont worry if you cant make sense out of that though, it is not the easiest thing to explain in text. there is a video here

so....

A Short Journey through Poiland:

Time taken: 10 seconds (approx)

Start: spin in wall plane, split time, same direction, ccw.

Directions:

Hyperloop from front to back of the left side of the wall plane, exit with right hand under left.

Enter hyperloop from back of left wall plane, right hand under left.

Rotate hands ccw 180° so right is above left.

Wrap left poi on right wrist. (Right poi should exit in a pendulum at this point)

Right poi spins cw out of pendulum over left arm to the front of wall plane.

Left poi follows through to front wall plane in notcoleman inversion.

Right poi leads into barrel roll inversion on the left of wall plane.

Exit into crosser (cw, left arm over right)

Throw right poi (so its direction stays the same when caught), uncross arms, and catch right poi.

Airwrap. (cw)

On exit immediately stall left poi and then right.

Immediately. airwarp. (ccw)

Q. Where did the journey end?

A. Back where it started.

A Short Journey (see directions.) was a scenic loop, or a short wander up a hill. When you spin you’re always travelling along paths, making a journey… I try to make my journeys as interesting as possible, and what interests me is convoluted twisted paths that end up in surprising places. The above journey is just one I find fairly natural, and obviously you can leave the path of that journey and turn it into a new journey at any point.

You will all enjoy making different journeys so go out and explore Poiland, stay near the edge and dont be boring. It doesn’t matter if you make a mistake and get lost; it is easy to start again.

i would also be interested to find out what kinds of journeys other people are intrested in making. or even other ways of thinking about poi how you spin poi. smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
that's a lovely post oli ubbrollsmile

but i have spent way too much time on hop today.
however, tomorrow is another day...

hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
vidyo pweese smile

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Written by:

When you spin you’re always travelling along paths, making a journey… I try to make my journeys as interesting as possible, and what interests me is convoluted twisted paths that end up in surprising places. The above journey is just one I find fairly natural, and obviously you can leave the path of that journey and turn it into a new journey at any point.
You will all enjoy making different journeys so go out and explore Poiland, stay near the edge and dont be boring. It doesn’t matter if you make a mistake and get lost; it is easy to start again.

Word up! Good post biggrin

Nothing to add - except that I didnt understand the part about staying near the edge ubbrollsmile

andy

PS: You still have to show me the trick you did Sunrise session at Falmouth (btw the most amazing I have seen so far wink) - or is that the one you described above ?

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Written by: Glåss

vidyo pweese smile

click

and andy, i dont remember that trick so for the sake of argument it can be this one smile

hug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
You guys make me smile smile

Have fun hug

Getting to the other side smile

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
SO thats what it looks like smile I pretty much learnt to do this in your PLAY workshop but nowhere near as fuidly smile Nice one biggrin

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
cool clap biggrin

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
smile right ive been working all weekend and my mind has been busy. ive been playing with the video clip of the journey and made it into 2 new journeys, one i just reveresed the clip direction... i been trying to spin it like this and cant smile

also i cut it up into bits and then stuck them back togther in a new order using the reverse clip direction and mirror functions along with good old cut and paste smile this is probably actually simpler than the original journey, but i reckon with a little more thinking and possibly raw material i could make something horrendously complicated.

i put the videos up in my gallery if anyone is interested...

any journey can be mirrored or reversed(???). there may be some more transformations you can apply to a jouney aswell?
EDITED_BY: oli (1125334712)

mr squirrelmember
37 posts

Posted:
man, you getting all jimi hendrix on us wink

did i leave the iron on?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
all hippy more like thease "journeys" used to be called "combos" in my day.

just goes to show you can take the hair from the hippy, but you cant take the hippy from the hair.

T wink

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Just don't let him journey near a tree wink

In fact do. It's beautiful.

I am going to journey tomorrow.

You have a beautiful understanding Oli. Thank you smile

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ping theory applied to poi journeys oli?

wicked smile

to answer your question, there's quite a lot of stuff that can't be time reversed - mostly occurs where you rely heavily on gravity.
e.g. just think about conicals for a little while smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
nx, yep i used to call them combos too, but its nice to imagine loads of connected up pathways... i mean you could probably make a map if you wanted to, have cw wall plane weave in the middle and loads of places you gotta get to and loads of ways of getting there, and then work it out from there, itd be totally mad though, ubbloco

ping theory came from the poi first so its a nice cycle. from poi to pings and back to poi umm

cole whats a conical? i thought it was making the poi kinda cut out a cone shape out of space.. but i dont see why that cant be done in rewind? and i still cant think of why anything cant be done in rewind, i mean everything relys on gravity up to a certain point but it would all work fine if it wasnt there, except possibly throws, but you can do them in rewind? or am i being dumb? i wonder what trying to spin in zero gravity is like? confused

and i thought of one more way to transform a journey, you can offset it, ie start with your arms twisted up once more than you would for what ever your base journey is.

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
hi oli.
i like you and you are neat. i've seen a video of you spinning (you and the fabulous roz.. you were on a beach and i was impressed with the control you exerted over your poi (especially your right one wink ), and you are an inspiration. i liked in one of you above posts when you said that you couldnt do something backwards, and then you smiled like this: smile yay! nice attitude. nice vibe.

i downloaded the clip but dont have the right codec and my computer skills are lacking somewhat so i cant watch it.. poos.

so i read this post of yours a few months back and its always been sitting in the back of my mind, and yesterday i was spinning away and decided to throw a few combo's together and came up with a little journey that i'd like to post here... but i tried to write it out and it was long and i'd wager that it only made sense to me coz i know what it looks like in my head and i dont wanna bother ya'all with something long-winded and unintelligible..!

so im just going to leave it at that and say, wicked, bro!

biggrin

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.