Forums > Social Chat > Computer Games? Do you?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DarkmatterBRONZE Member
25 posts

Posted:
I would like to know, who in here plays computer games alot? To be more specific who here plays PC games? Are any of you computer fanatics? Please tell me i'd like to know biggrin

============================================
PCRules.com - Welcome to the PC age

QuadDamagemember
130 posts

Posted:
I used to be an avid gamer. I would always go into games shops as I passed, and see what had been released. Few things compared to a good first person shooter, but I poured hours of my time into games like Morrowind.

Then I got broadband. Then I discovered Parkour. Then I rediscovered poi. I still feel like using the xbox sometimes, but after I've played for a short while, I realise that I just don't care enough to continue.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
CS only got popular because it ran on low end hardware. It was probably the only decent game that 13 year olds could play on the PC World crap their parents got for Xmas.

If you want full on, in your face gaming you have to go back to Quake 1. Only UT games can get close to that level of intensity. At the Lan parties I go to they only ever play on Facing Worlds or Hall of Giants though. I like cramped maps, like Typhoon, so I can stick a flak cannon up someones nose before I let it off, and it gets to be more about dodging than aiming. UT2K4 gave dodging so much potential smile

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Polarity, have you played CS Source? its...well....ground breaking, the real world physics are phonominal(sp?) and my PC is far from PC world carp (yes i did mean the fish), nobody attacks my lovely CS and gets away with it!! *Chases Polarity with a Carp!*

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
CS got popular because people wanted a game they could play whilst having dinner, or a nice cup of tea. You know, a game that didn't need much concentration smile

"Take that, math!"

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Consol boy meself.....burnout 3....bring it on... i'll eat ya for breakfast....but have been out of the gaming thing for about 6 months or so coz i'm never at home anymore.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
My opinions re games:

best flat out balls to the wall shooter: ut2k4
best slightly slower, more strategic shooter: CS:S. bf2 may end up ruling that though.
Best really slow strategic shooter: Operation Flashpoint
Best rpg: morrowind
best racer: Forza Motorsport (pwnz gt4 and nfs:u2. put together)

IMHO...

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i used to be completely addicted redface

but i seem to have managed to shun my screen staring ways in the past 6 years or so.

i think it was the dreamcast platform falling on its arse that finally scared me off.

after amigas slowly disappeared and then sega giving up on consoles, i lost kinda interest - i was a bit loathe to spend lots of money when i could see very little loyalty/commitment to user base from the companies that owned the hardware.

of course now i want a psp with all the great games i tried so hard to ignore in the past few years... ubbrollsmile

is it my birthday yet...? wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
As well as you're computer specs, why not post your 3DMark Scores. That's a better way to show who owns who.

On 3dMark03, my computer got approx 4000. Beat that. tongue

Willy - is bad for your health...

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lemonkey

As well as you're computer specs, why not post your 3DMark Scores. That's a better way to show who owns who.

On 3dMark03, my computer got approx 4000. Beat that. tongue

On 3Dmark05 I got 4000. :P Haven't run 03 yet - if you really want I'll post all my benchmarks tonight biggrin

"Take that, math!"

DarkmatterBRONZE Member
25 posts

Posted:
Its very good to see some avid gamers out there, and quite a veriety too. alot of poeple seem to be going to the GF 6600 cards. i personally was very impressed by the price to performance ratio those cards gave. how are you all finding them? Always been a Geforce man myself. ATI in my view, although they have had the odd jump in advancement which over took Nvidia in the Graphics race. I'd have to say the Nvidia have been a step ahead the majority of the time. (Nice PC Flid, used to have a clear case Here. but had to change it when i ran out of room, was a little small. Have the akasa Eclipse 62 now. Not the prittiest of cases, but its so wide! preporation for water cooling)

Good to see some UT gamers out there who know the truth.
Written by: Puresock

CS got popular because people wanted a game they could play whilst having dinner, or a nice cup of tea. You know, a game that didn't need much concentration smile

So true biggrin. CS Source is very good, but its still slow old CS. bring on Instagib (one shot kill) CTF (Capture the flag) the original UT on Eternal Caves. Pure carnage!

Deus Ex and System shock 2 where the only RPG's i really got into (obvious FPS element). I can never decide which i prefered, the indepthness of Deus Ex or the atmosphere of System Shock 2.

hehe, 3D mark battles, have to love them. Boys and there toys ay, look mines better than yours, mines "bigger" than yours wink.

3D Mark 03 = 11460
3D Mark 05 = 5003
biggrin

Written by: Mynci

Consol boy meself.....burnout 3....bring it on... i'll eat ya for breakfast....but have been out of the gaming thing for about 6 months or so coz i'm never at home anymore.

One of the few very good games to hit a console, hidiously addictive

============================================
PCRules.com - Welcome to the PC age

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
GeForce 6600 512MB cost me £99 *including a copy of Far Cry* from PC World. I saw it and I'm like "Whaaaat....!" And I ran up to the guy and asked how long the offer was good for... Got one the next day biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

SdrawkcabBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
Dunc id have to say i accept your challenge and laugh in your general direction, also your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberrys (way too much coffee and way too much nightshift and way too little sleep)

But otherwise yeah i acept, one question though, where in the world are you? cuz if your nowhere near i cant beat you that easy lol.

other thanthat yeah al sorts of games, and once i get my new pc sorted ill be online gaming and on here a lot more often

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Sethis I got that same package but mine was £129 damn them and their price dropping ways. I just couldn't wait any longer to play Battlefield 2 tho.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
i disagree about the slowness of cs being a bad thing. I think too much emphasis in modern gaming is put on instant gratification and individual skill. cs is all about getting a team to work together well, and first person stategy... if you're not playing in that mindset, of course it looks boring. it's like saying chess is more boring than tic-tac-toe (naughts and crosses)

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

SdrawkcabBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
roll on starcraft bounce2 bounce
Gonna get WoW next week how many people have we got on here playing it?

Got almost all of our nightshift staff alll playing it now lol, tis good
(only weird thing is that our manager at work is almost our leader on that as well)

just cant escape the work.

HeadSwimGOLD Member
...curiously lost
580 posts

Posted:
Not going to give ya my PC spec cuz I just hate that whole "how good is yours" pi$$ing up the wall type contest but I used to be a fairly serious gamer. Used to play Wolfenstein Enemy Territory in Clanbase ladders and tournaments.

I was the co-founder and leader of my clan until I got a real job and now sadly don’t have the time to play as much frown Still I think the game cycle for ET is coming to an end anyway and Wolf 3 should be out soon biggrin

Nothing is easy.......until you can do it! biggrin

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by: Singed Piper

if you're not playing in that mindset, of course it looks boring

I agree. Playing CS on private servers with people who've played together regularly for years, with clueful admins online who can distinguish against cheaters and people who are genuinely good is a very different kettle of fish to joining a random server and playing against strangers of varying skill levels. I'm not going to be a bigot and claim all other games don't require as much skill etc etc, but there's good reason that people are still playing it this long after it was released, irrevelant of how visually stunning it is or how much resources it takes up (I can happily leave SETI running in the background).

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I've got a slightly ageing but pretty nice rig-

I've been PC gaming ever since my family had an Amiga 500, and before that i'd play on my friends Amstrad biggrin

These days i play Fps, recently doom 3, HL2 and then CS:Sourse, Wolfenstein ET and a few drving simulators (GTR, Live for Speed), always erring toward realism rather than arcadey physics. Favourite bits of my PC are the force feedback wheel, Raor Diamondback mouse and my 17" TFT biggrin

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Just bought myself a Logitech MX1000 Lazer mouse.
Oh my god. This thing has to be played with to believe the increase in accuracy. Lazer really is the future. It also feels really nice to hold and has a charging dock (so no wasted batteries) biggrin

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i hope you didn't pay more than 45 for it. I've had an mx1000 for about a month now, takes a bit of getting used to compared to my old mouse; i'm too used to dragging it large distances to get any sort of sensitivity!

HeadSwimGOLD Member
...curiously lost
580 posts

Posted:
And I dont charge mine more than once a month tops too!!! MX1000 was that best bit of kit I got for gaming with!

Nothing is easy.......until you can do it! biggrin

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I got mine the day they came out, and did the same with my MX700. It's difficult using anything else after getting used to a mouse that works on nearly any surface, and has so many programmable buttons. Give yourself a couple more by changing the default forward/backward buttons to CTRL and SHIFT, as you can go forward and back in IE and Firefox by rolling the mouse wheel with the shift key/button held down (and change text size with ctrl), and you can also select combinations of files without having to drag boxes around them or use the keyboard (I've got shift, ctrl and a programmed to the 3 side buttons, so I can select all with ctrl-a too).

Sensitivity for fps games should be about 30cm for a 360 turn (according to pro gamers), it gives a good balance between having to turn fast, and precision for aiming, you just adjust from this depending on your playing style, having a ruler makes it easier to get the sensitivity the same for different games.

My only problem with the MX1000 is that is gets really jittery if the lens isn't clean.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
I didn't like the MX1000, it's too big and heavy. I use a Razer Diamondback, it's shiny and nice and it glows. Stuff that glows is always good!

Good 3DMark scores Darkmatter - beats me biggrin I'm glad you liek instagib too - it's the only way to play smile

WoW is good. Come and play on Stormrage, it's a nice server. It's not PvP though, so it's not to everyone's tastes. We switched when the honour system came out and PvP became unplayable.

EDIT: I recommend you all play the FEAR demo. It is very good. If you like psychological horror and FPSes. It's like Doom 3 meets Max Payne.
EDITED_BY: Puresock (1125409555)

"Take that, math!"

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i'm thinking about upgrading my old-school intellimouse explorer (v 2.0A) soon... It's been a good mouse though, i'm loathe to get rid of it. Been going for a few years now, and it still works awesomely smile

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I rid myself of my intellimouse explorer when I got my mx1000. Honestly it was a great mouse (especially as I bought it in perfect condition from a housemate 3 years ago for a tenner), but the feet were about a mm away from the bottom to start with, so after a few years the underside would scrape away at the desk underneath. My whole gaming style changed as a result, as I really had to drag the mouse hard to move it sometimes. My main reason for change however was the fact it has a wire, and in this day and age I honestly can't understand why we still put up with ugly wires trailing around the desk.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Wires and cables are still faster, and give better response than almost any wireless mouse out there. Only the top end models really come close.

Plus, it's fun to have 8 different wires about the place wink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
8 wires I can handle, but I don't have 8 wires biggrin

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
You seem to have some snakes breeding on your bed....

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
pmpl, if you lift up some of the cables there its like naania, a whole world inside a mass of cables!

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Yeah, anyone ever found stuff growing in the nest of wires?

I haven't personally, but it'd be bloody hilarious if someone dropped an old slice of pizza (or whatever) down the back of their desk and it started spawning...

Page: