Forums > Social Chat > HoPpers : Why are we all so nice?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Now, I have been on HoP for a couple days short of a year, and it has been a very eventful year too.

I would like everyone's opinion, using the slip provided, as to why HoP is possibly the nicest bunch of peeps it has ever been anyones pleasure to encounter.

At PLAY, I got talking to a small group of the VDubbers who had ambulated over to watch the show on Saturday Night. The comments ranged from 'Ive never seen anything like it, its all so amazing', referring to the performers, to comments like 'You are all so welcoming', 'you hear about the youth of today, and how its so bad, then we meet a group like you', 'the atmosphere here is so wonderful'. I had to agree.
They also couldnt understand that we were, at base, an online community, and that the hard work of Dunc and the gang had all been put in for the community (that is, not just HoP, but the whole juggling/spinning/OM community).

hug hug hug hug hug

So, why do you think this is?

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
well i went for the best two biggrin its mainly the badgers, but i suppose its because i feel its almost like a family smile

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
It has to be the badgers but it also has something to do with the fact that it takes a certain type of nutcase to spin fire round his/her/its head.

Who thinks we need a badger Graemlin?

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
was all of them except two

sensible us? and i would say there is no one group of people who spin (unless perhaps insane)

smile good point though flash

id say that there is no other community ive come across where people get on so well

back

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
everything except one, i dont think that it attracts one kind of person because anyone in this world can have the same interest and be compleatly different

biggrin

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Them crazy badgers eh? smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
we're crazy, end of!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
I think with the HoP community - the more you put in the more you get out. I think we're people who put in a lot of effort and we are rewarded pretty nicely.

Gayle.....!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I think there's more reasons than that, Mr Point...

I think that spinners/jugglers/object manipulators are generally really laid back as a whole anyway.

We like an audience. What we do feels so much better when someone says 'wow, that's cool' that we're not gonna turn away new faces...

But, 'tis true. Some of the nicest people I've ever me are HoPpers. I feel proud to be part of this community.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
We're similar people who have similar interests, we're also very protective of each other and I'm sure I speak for more than just myself when I say that very close friendships have been formed because we've met through the spinners community worldwide. Those who are agressive are soon made to realise that violent/aggressive behaviour isn't tolerated and through solidarity we get this message across very well, if they continue with such behaviour they would be ousted from the community

So basically, we're a very genial positive collective. Negativity/agression is treated suitably and we act like a huge extended family. Oh hang on, that just means we're Y2K hippies! YEY! peace hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Bl00dy hippies.... ubblol
Also can all see ourselves to some extent in people starting up, we recognise the dropped balls, tangled poi and smacked heads. common ground (especially facing adversity...evil poi) brings people together. yay! us clap clap clap

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
All of the above!

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
it's definitely the badgers!! biggrin & those pesky mushrooms that pop up occasionally!! tongue

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

Blasphemous GirlSILVER Member
83 posts

Posted:
i'd have to agree with those vdub pepl

i went to play, i'd never been to anything like it b4 and i'm new to this community, so i didn't know what to expect........ but it was great the atmosphere was really good, everyone was really welcoming and friendly. (ok i have to admit i didn't actually speek to that many HOPers cos i'm pretty shy, but was still the best fun i've had for ages)

i think its probabley got a lot to do with thoes mischievous badgers but also the fact that HOP is full of crazy, happy, rather great people who share a lot of common groud and are always willing to help each other out.

cant wait till the next play !!!!!

peace beerchug weavesmiley grouphug clap bounce2

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: balsphemus girl

went to play, i'd never been to anything like it b4

That's cuz there's never been anything like it before wink

[/shameless plug for play 2006 on the last week of June ubbangel ]

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Personally, I find the whole "hughughughughug" culture here sickening... but I suppose being a hippy is all about love and happy-drugs...

... and, to meet pleasent people is such a rarity in the world ruled by chavs. tongue So I'm not complaining.

Willy - is bad for your health...

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
HoPpers are great because they don't judge, they just welcome

It doesn't matter how long you have been on HoP, how long you have been spinning or how good you are, if you make the effort to join in, you are welcome.
hug2

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
The whole " hug " thing is optional, you always have the opportunity to say "no thanks" to a hug when you're being presented with one and folks would soon know you're not the type who enjoys it. Some folks just aren't suited to close personal contact but it's more of an add-on to the friendly culture not a requirement. At least you like everything else tho biggrin

Written by:

suppose being a hippy is all about love and happy-drugs...

Of course it is *winks and nods sarcastically*

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
*wipes a tear from her eye*

I love you guys!! ubblove

I was wondering this at PLAY pete, where I shared many a huggle with you.
Why are we so friendly?
I can't put my finger on it. It's just..incredible? indescribable more like..Possibly why the V-dubbers couldn't really understand why we were there together? what we were sharing?
You can't really understand what belonging to HoP is until you actually join and launch yourself into the community..

*sigh* we should so have a lottery fund and buy an island somewhere hot and sunny and live on it..
now that would be a stonker of a community smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
But it's not just hoppers, I reckon PLAY was around 50% hoppers 50% non-hoppers but everyone was just as lovely. It's something about OM in general I think....parhaps we all share a gene and descend from the same person like 50 generations ago or something?!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
All of the above...

Damn badgers *mutters and grumbles*

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
all of the above as well smile

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
First off, well done brilliant threadclap

Yeah, the "OM" meditate ubblolcommunity attracts people of similar charactor, but manages to be equally diverse........................which is amazing.

We all learn from eachother and its not ALL about the spinning etc

The honesty and openess is a big factor, and its wonderful that we can express "friend love" to our friends. Why is is so difficult to hug "normal" people ? ubblol

Yeah we all all contemporary hippys/geeks/grungers if you originate from near essex rolleyes/artists/expessionists/scientist/inventors/dancers/spiritulists/not so spiritulits/doctors/male nurses wink/and socialites/peterpans/oh and shynessovercomers

Um, where was I, why are we so loverly? dunno, good behaviour spreads, respect comesfrom respect,trust comes from honesty from honesty comes trust, and humour well thats pretty nice too biggrin

Cuppa tea anyone?
hug

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Hmm now you come to mention it, I think spinning appeals to a certain type of person, maybie were slightly more excitable than other people, and we love to see colours and tails and fire and devil sticks and flags oooooh flags, spinning around. Im deffinatly a visial person is everyone else? (probably yes lol)

Yes we do all share a simalar and very interesting (and diverse) hobby.

That and were probably 'infectios people', laughs, smiles, and silly BADGER FILLED comments.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

Hmm now you come to mention it, I think spinning appeals to a certain type of person, maybie were slightly more excitable than other people, and we love to see colours and tails and fire and devil sticks and flags oooooh flags, spinning around. Im deffinatly a visial person is everyone else? (probably yes lol)

Totally. I know a few other spinners and they all agree that all of the fire arts are very visual. I know for a fact that I'm a visual person because I can see so much when I perform, not just because of the synesthesia, but because there is so much there. Be it fire, flag, led or tennisballs in socks there is always something unique and beautiful in every rotation of every spin that I think everyone here appreciates and respects. And that is why, in my humble opinion, we are, as a group, some of the most wonderful and unusual people out there.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i think were all infact people who have been kidnapped by aliens re programmed and will eventually spread the lvoe to take over the world and turn it into one uber spinny commune that will usher in the alien (probably badgers) who will lead us to a new world of spinny goodness tongue

or we could just be a great community of awsome people

back

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm not very nice.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i'm sure you are really lightning

i'll just agree with everyone for the reasons why, and some of actually most of nicest people i know are HOPpers which can't be a bad thing

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
being around hoppers dose something strange to me in normal life I am totally totally shy and do things for myself without at least a good 30 min preparation and if it involves meeting others I don’t know I'm even worse (shamed to admit I even didn’t turn up for a job once cos I was to scared)

but as soon as I'm around hopper I'm totally different I can talk to total strangers and get on with them I totally come out of my shell I hug people a alarming amount of the time and feel totally at ease at many meets I don’t even get my stuff out and spin in to busy loving people

I mean the fact that I fell head over heals in love with someone Id only seen sinking her feet into wet sand says something in itself iv never been out with someone I didn’t know before but it felt totally natural in the real world that would have never happened

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I think a certain kind of person gets drawn to O-M. It's not like a lot of other hobbies, like sports where there is a competitive side, and a thing where you have to wear certain things and use certain brands of equipment to fit in.

It's a performing art, so we get to be expressive, and very individual. It's not about being able to do someting someone else can't, but developing your own style, and perfecting it in your own eyes.

Part of it is about putting a smile on someone elses face. It's not something you can do on your own. Then it's only practice for showing to someone later.

Then there's the whole aesthetic side of things. Everything has to look pretty, but that can't happen unless there's something inside where it can come from. Miserable grumpy people can't make a start at this kind of thing because they'd never be happy with the small advances they make at the beginning, and never get into it. It's all about knowing there's something inside you and wanting to see it blossom.

It's not surprising everyone's into hugging in a big way. More than being visual it's an extremely kinaesthetic activity, full of rolling, fluid motions, and pressure and counter pressure. I'm guessing it goes further than hugging too.... wink

I think there are just a lot of really nice people, who have been exploited or abused by the rest of society because they are so nice. We've become very shy and withdrawn, up until the point we find out that everyone else here is the same in some way, and then we just go kind of crazy from wanting to go and be nice to people who will accept it.

One of my strongest beliefs is that I get the most pleasure out of life from making other people happy. It's just difficult finding people who won't take advantage of that, and avoiding those who will take offence that I decide to be nice to people who don't take advantage.

It's nice knowing that you can trust people to the point where you can drop your trousers and run around in front of them, after knowing them for just 2 days. That doesn't mean I'm making a habit of it though wink

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
this is a bit offtopic

Written by: polarity

Part of it is about putting a smile on someone elses face. It's not something you can do on your own. Then it's only practice for showing to someone later.

Then there's the whole aesthetic side of things. Everything has to look pretty,

i think i spin for purly selfish reasons i spin cos it feels good i love the feeling of the poui ilove the feeling of finding somthing new. i very rarly spinn in front of people. not many people outside of hop can say they have seen me spinn and not a lot of hoppers have seen me spin in person redface

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Page: