Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I was reading/watching somewhere that 70% of people suffer depression that accompanies the changing of the seasons.
What it is, as daylight grows shorter the depression grows stronger. When the days get longer the depression goes away. It is linked to a chemical our body processes or releases from exposure to sunlight.

Now, I know this is real. I have several friends who suffer from it. I think I might a bit too, but I can actually attribute mine to things other than sunlight deficiency.
A couple of my friends are trying the herbal suppliment approach (not pot, vitamins), but it isn't really helping much. One has turned to drinking. None of them want pharmacutical drugs because, well, let's face it, prozac isn't needed for something felt 1/3 of the year, and they don't want to do the whole chemical thing for winter blues.

What do you all think? Is it real or in the head? Do you suffer from it and if so what approaches do you take?
Curiously waiting your thoughts.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
that sun is sooooooo gay! ubblol

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
I don't know weather it's seasonal or not, but I remember being a lot happier a few months ago, even while I was complaining about the heat. I have loads of little problems, but nothing dire. In the summer they seemed like a distant threat, but now, theyre all I think about. I cant sleep properly, I cant really eat, I feel ill, but I'm not...and I am totally aware that it's just me being stupid but I cant stop it and then I just end up a bit angry with myself ontop of everything else. I guess I'm just being overwhelmed...and not in a good way. I'm worried I may be worrying myself to death,

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Maybe we're not supposed to cope in Winter?

Maybe we're supposed to feel sad, depressed unable to cope so that comfort eat to keep warm in winter and even hibernate until we're ready to function in spring?

Maybe it's just a throwback to our prehistoric ancestors, a behaviour very much prevelent in the animals around us?

Still sucks though... hug

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Blu, whatever you do, please don't get angry at yourself! hug
It's bad enough feeling so crap and unable to cope, but a million times worse when you start being mean to yourself on top of that! hug

Neon, I've always thought that we should hibernate smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
i'll put in another vote for hibernation.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I vote "Ditto" on that preposition!

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I used to get my winter UV fix by going clubbing the whole weekend.

Doing decor meant I'd spend a lot of time during the week surrounded by UV lights too.

Time to get out the UV cannon again biggrin

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

anti_finBRONZE Member
43 posts

Posted:
SAD's chemical explanation is about our melatonin production, often not because of a vitamin shortage in the body or a lack of herbs. During winter months, when the sun is not out as much our retina percieves less light and as a result our body produces more melatonin, the chemical which stimulates biological functions characterising sleep such as a lowering of blood pressure and body temperature. As a result of this we become tired and depressed all the time, whilst in summer when there is plenty of light around our bodies hold off on the melatonin production

forever twirling, twirling towards victory

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
thanks for that anti-fin. rolleyes

My doc just increased my dose. I've put on weight. Is it really so bad not to see a point in living? smile

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
There IS no point in living! Except to live and pass the time before we rot and die (in whichever order)...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
great...I feel better already...

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, Didn't mean to make it sound so pessimistic...

I only meant it that life is just a blank canvas for you to paint whatever the hell you like on it...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
No I liked what you said Dave. When I see that there is no point anyway, I don't feel so guilty!

CaffeinatedKatieGOLD Member
Teacher, Dancer, Artist, and General Smartass
149 posts

Posted:
I moved to the rainy dreary pacific northwest of the US and for the last few years have really been struggling with seasonal depression every fall/winter.

You don't need a prescription or even much resources in order to do a little self light-therapy. In the fall I buy time at a tanning salon. I know it's not particularly healthy for your skin but in small doses during the time of year you're not getting any other light I think it's okay. I feel more energetic for the day if I spend 5 or 10 minutes in a booth, and I usually sleep better. (I'm really susceptible to the hibernation thing)

The other thing that I've heard positive review from (and I'm probably going to go purchase this week) is a light-box. You can get full-spectrum lamps designed for use to counter seasonal depression, or you can go the easy route like me and get a cheaper lamp that has a full-spectrum bulb (more similar to natural light). Turn that on in the morning and it might help you feel that the sun is up, it's time to wake up.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
CaffeinatedKatie hug cool, thanks for the tips! I've never really considered going to a tanning salon for light therapy before! biggrin

Page: