Forums > Social Discussion > Post counts removed from forum views

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
you are though wink

personally I don't think it'll have a big effect, but it'll definitely not have a negative one, so it's all fine smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
i havent been here for the past couple of days, as the post-whoring/ thread bashing ruckus has taken its toll on a lot of people, and the fun had left the HoP, it really had.

On my return, seeing that the post count had been removed, everyone seems less inhibited. The fun is back. Everyone is equal!! Brilliant

clap clap clap

You'll find me on the dance floor

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
errrmmm..........

yeh i know ubbloco

just a bit confused with your contradiction, thats all smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
shrug

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
sorry dude, your too quick, that was meant for flids post smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
no probs wink

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Cool jobs good, just look at when they joined. it's what i did anyhow...

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Erm, I do my best to ignore all the info except the avatar and the title, cos sometimes they're cool (like mynci's biggrin )

Just respond to what they say, rather than what numbers they have attached. It's like "book by it's cover thing" and everyone knows how (generally) crappy that is. smile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
It's weird, Not seeing post counts there...

I always looked as a matter of curiosity, and now I have to click lots... I liked looking at them and saying to myself: 'wow, they must have a lot of free time on their hands to post that much!'

But yeah, not a bad thing, but then not a great thing either...

*sits on fence*

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

YAY!

But how will I know who's right in a discussion if I can't see their post count? wink

Simple, NYC. If you're on their side of the discussion, then...

THEY'RE WRONG.

wink

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
I think you should put the post counts back in but allow moderators to subtract say 10 off someones post count if they make a completely useless 'post whoring' post.

Then we could see how many poiple get into negative post counts

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: spherculist

I think you should put the post counts back in but allow moderators to subtract say 10 off someones post count if they make a completely useless 'post whoring' post.

Far be it from me to speak for the mods, but I'm sure they have better things to do.

-Mike

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i fully approve.... i was getting scared of my post count :o

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I'm presonally very disressed by the post count going away! It's like wearing a watch - you didn't realise just how often you looked at it until you forgot to put it on one day (I forgot mine today too!). I don't use post count to see how creditable someone is - its defo not a status indicator, i use it to see how often they've visited either now or in the past. You can also spot people who have changed their name that way too, i.e. there's no one over 500 posts I haven't seen the name of before.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, Spherc, that's a great (if slightly unworkable) idea biggrin

Minus numbers ubblol

Getting to the other side smile

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: spherculist

ubblol I have a hard enough time staying professional, remaining neutral and not reacting to individuals based on my personal feelings. I would get trigger happy.... giddy with power! wink ubbrollsmile Although I've always said I'd be a benevolent dictator..... *trails off mumbling crap about being mistress blah blah blah*

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
mistress flash fire.... now there is a intresting thought!!!! :P

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

*trails off mumbling crap about being mistress blah blah blah*

You can be my mistress blah blah blah any time you want, baby.

ubblol

-Mike

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
All post counts are still visible in picture galleries, not just the memebr whose profile the picture is in.

No big deal, just wasn't sure if it had been overlooked?

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I think that post counts would be much more useful if they displayed the number of times a person has posted in the technical forums. Of course, that might lead to spamming in there, which is a good deal worse.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Well spotted Aled!!

Its a shame we cant do it like the pilots do with flying hours, have a spinning hours count instead but who times how long they spin so scratch that one!

I quite like having no post count, but i guess Cantus may be a liddle miffled but he'l forget quickly

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
it's odd: in the picture gallery you see the post count but not the member number...

in the forums you see the member number and not the number of posts...

ubbrollsmile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Long long overdue....nice one guys! smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
To be honest i dont mind either way, psot counts dont really mean much to me smile we are all members here and so long as people dont break rules or act like dunces then im happy biggrin

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: house_of_mill

i guess Cantus may be a liddle miffled but he'l forget quickly

If you don't tell him he might not even notice...

Meh

jarofgreenmember
26 posts

Posted:
Written by:

look at the member number? Mine is higher than yours

Good Point. If you accept the reason for removing post counts from the forums, shouldn't we also remove "member number" and "joined from" on the same basis?

My 2cents is that I used to run a messagebaord claiming a million hits a month and I didn't have post count, member number or join date visible next to the post at all. I thought they were all useless measures for judging someone. Also, I wanted to avoid a situation I've seen on other message boards where until you had fifty posts you were seen as a newbie and ritually abused. * Althought it provoked argument the vast majority supported it.

* EDIT: To be clear, not saying that happens here in the slightest, but that was the reasoning behind my decision on my site.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
The reason the post count was ermoved was to see if it would reduce the amount of post-whoring ie. people posting nonsense in an attempt to increase their post-counts, creating many nonsense threads.

I was a little sad to see it gone at first but it's only taken me 5 minutes to get used to it and like it. Definately intressted to see what effect it will have.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SNOOPoiCarpal \'Tunnel
3,380 posts

Posted:
i haven't read all of this so excuse me if i repeat what someone has already said...

don't get me wrong, i love Malcom to bits coz if it weren't for him HoP would never happened...

but i have to point out that post counts are going to go down as moderators have deleted a lot of the threads that were popular... i now probably only post once or twice a day because most of the threads i chatted on are gone... in fact i feel like a bit of an outsider again... whilst on the subject i would like to say that threads have been deleted due to 2 people having a conversation between each other and 'that can be done in personal messages' what about introductions...? there are no end where it is just 2 people chatting, are you gonna delete our intro's too?

i understand that HoP is not a chat site but if all we were to talk about was poi i think we would run out of stuff to say to each other. i don't just like people on HoP because they poi... it's because i have got to know them through chatting to them...

apologies if i have offended or made people mad but everyone has their own opinion...

THWACK!!!!
Liz_Ard: Ouch!
SNOOPoi: Thats just not the sound of someone doing it right!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lil' Miss Snoop

whilst on the subject i would like to say that threads have been deleted due to 2 people having a conversation between each other and 'that can be done in personal messages' what about introductions...? there are no end where it is just 2 people chatting, are you gonna delete our intro's too?

We have to draw the line somewhere, don't we? Intro's is virtually unmoderated and, as you said, gives ample opportunity for one-on-one nonsense and whatnot so feel free to post there. We'd prefer it if this sort of thing is confined to Intro's and doesn't spill over so much into other forums where people are actually after some constructive and interesting conversation.

The fact is, more people complained about the state that Social Chat was in prior to us making changes & deleting some topics than have complained about us making said changes.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
wise words from the wise woman

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Page: