FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
hello... i'm not exactly new on here anymore... but all you techy types are confusing me so i thought it might help if we had a glossery-type thread with some basic definitions for all these words i (and probably a few others) keep hearing and don't know what they mean...

i did a quick search and couldn't find anything of this sort, but if i missed it, please point me in the right direction and disregard this thread... however as a starting point... what on earth are:

isolations?
planes?
anti-spins?

confused

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
There is one around somewhere, you could also try

https://spherculism.com/wiki/index.php?title=Index

for definitions of most stuff.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
Spanks, I'll have a look at that one...

EDIT:

ok that website was unhelpful at best, and at worst served only to confuse me more... so i got unlazy and went on a big uber search for a glosseryish thing... and i found... [Old link] which was a little more helpful...

however... i'm still confused and thus conclude that this techy stuff is way over my head and i'm going to stick to my butterflies and weaves for a while...

EDITED_BY: FoxInDocs (1124801466)

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i think most of the techy terms are explained - the problem is finding the first post they were used in with the explanation

im still trying to understand inversions but cant find the original definition

back

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Reading both pages I think we need a standard page with the definitions clearly explained with pictures explaining everything (similar to the HoP and feuershow lessons but more comprehensive). I was thinking about doing a poi webpage so might as well try and do this. If anyone has helpful defenitions or images etc that they can send me then I'll be really greatful for them... Me email address is nimir_raj@hotmail.co.uk

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
My original idea for my site was one to put stuff from my group of friends on and the glossary was an idea that came out of reading quite a few threads that are on the forums with different names for the same thing.

Malcolm: If you want I'll scour through the forums and other places and try and put together a new glossary. I have a month till I go back to uni (to start second year of my comp sci degree) and nothing much to do so I might as well make myself useful.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Written by: FoxInDocs

ok that website was unhelpful at best, and at worst served only to confuse me more... so i got unlazy and went on a big uber search for a glosseryish thing...

Well i think the 3 terms you requested are summed up pretty well:

Written by:

Isolation
From Wikipoidia

A style of spinning where the center of rotation is somewhere along the poi itself rather than at part of your body. There are different places where the center of rotation can be, but isolation on its own refers to the centre being halfway between the poi handle and poi head.

Written by:

Plane
From Wikipoidia

An imaginary flat 2-dimensional surface which contains every point through which a poi spins.

Written by:

Anti-spin
From Wikipoidia

Where the center of rotation moves in a circle in the opposite direction to the direction the poi are spinning.

Example, in the wheel plane make a giant circle with your arm rotating backwards while spinning the poi forwards. This is part of an anti-spun flower.

Granted it doesn't teach you how to do any of the terms, that's what the rest of the site's for.

But what in those 3 terms above needs more clarification? Everyone is involved in making the terms as concrete as possible, so your help would be very much appreciated.

thanks,

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I was thinking about diagrams similar to those found in club swinging books. They souldn't be too hard to make up...

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Well, that's why it's a 'work in progress' wink

Feel free to add diagrams to it if you want to, is a colective effort.

That reminds me, i made this ages ago, then lost it, but it's back...

isolation tutorial

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Good effort spherculist, but I think there is a lack of basic info at the site, and what is there is confusing ie. no continuity with the rest of the spinny world.

For good sources on basic terminology, information on planes and direction see Modern Club Swinging and Pole Spinning by Anna Jillings. Or for a more Poi specific reference see Poi Spinning by Michal Kahn and Judy Batchelor. Or look up any Juggling book.

cheers

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh