Forums > Social Chat > Halloween Practices Globally?

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I know here within the states that what people do for Halloween changes from region to region. For example, where my sister lives in Florida, they do not trick-or-treat at all. And where my friends lives in Kentucky, they don't do anything at all for it.
So I am curious, what do you personally do for Halloween (for example, do you celebrate it as Samhain?) and what is common in your region?

I know here I have never seen more people into the fun-loving spirit of the day. There are more decorations and such than I have ever seen. Several townships had the kids trick-or-treating yesterday so they wouldn't be out on a Thursday night though, which while practical takes some of the fun out of it.
This year I think in the area the Pagans took things too far. Usually the Christian extremists do protests and such. This year one local township had a "Best Witch" contest, which drew pagan protesters down from as far as a 9 hour drive away! They claimed the contest promoted the negative media connotation of witches publically and was insulting. Now, I am a family-generational-hand me down witch, not a neo-pagan, and I found nothing insulting about it. Anyway, that was the big media hype this year.
In this area too, there is nothing better than what we have had this year for the weather. Crisp autumn air, filled with the smell of wood burning, damp earth and oncoming winter. There is a chilling breeze that scuttles the fallen leaves around on the pavement, partial cloudy nights and this overall eerie but somehow comforting feel to the air. God I love it!

Personally, I will take Noah trick or treating. Usually I have a Pumpkin Carving Party but because of everything that happened this year, we won't be having it. I celebrate Samhain (happy new year to the others here that celebrate it as well) and enjoy the onset of another Dickens performance season.

I think it is interesting to see what other regions of the world do so, what do you like/do for this time of year? What are the traditions in your area?

[ 28 October 2002, 08:58: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

VAMPIROmember
7 posts

Posted:
u know the usual burning virgind and a bit of rape pilage and plunder...just kiddin wel i just dress as a satanic santa clause do a bit of busking then go 2 my local alt club but hey i dont think everyone does that...roung here (uk) ppl just trick or treat or have a haloween party either way its always a good time of year
cya

[ 28 October 2002, 10:25: Message edited by: VAMPIRO ]

Though a pretty face is all they seeA tortured sould you are to meJust touch the darkness deep insideWhere all the hidden demons hide

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
really, VAMPIRO? i didn't know much Halloween trick-or-treat style is done in England!

for Pele, around SoCal it's the standard yankee tradition of trick or treat, dress up, some adult parties. . . so VAMPIRO, can't you get us a good virgin rape & pillage looting party for me ta go with you instead?

~ Mike

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Pele, ask me in April next year Too busy enjoying Beltane energy at the moment

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
When I was a kid we went to a Halloween party every year and played variety of traditional games - ducking for coins in basins of water, swinging apples, cherry on the flour, murder in the dark, and then watched fire works outside as a finale.

Oh and of course tell ghost / horror stories?

When my sisters were little I would bring them to trick or treat and they would prepare a little show (song / dance) to perform in return for goodies.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Spiral_komember
44 posts

Posted:
my favourite holiday!
Well in Canada we do the trick or treat thing (try to find the richest neighbourhoods cause they give the best candy). And we do the house parties and Club & Bars have a Halloween theme night.
In Japan it is only celebrated by the Gaijin - going to Roppongi to a bar or club's theme night is always the way. Getting very strange looks on the trains from Japanese ppl who have no idea what on earth the crazy white barbarians are doing.
And in the Uk I have noticed that it is only seriously practiced by the Pagans and earth based religions. The Beltane fire society Beltane Fire Society has an even on Halloween in Edinborough. But as far as trick or treating I don't think it has become a traditional thing in these parts. I have seen some adds for Clubs having theme nights thought.
But I am having a fancy dress (dress up for all you yanks) party at mine on Sat nov 2nd. There will be some fire spinning - hop ppl are welcome! Send me a msg and I will arrange to give you directions

L&L
XxSpiral_ko

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
We used to have Halloween parties for the kids in Akita Prefecture, Japan. The kids loved them - loads of team party games, sweeties, prizes for best costume and a fortune teller (well our tall gaijin friend Raymond dressed up as a clown).

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Ianddmember
39 posts

Posted:
for Halloween now its Samhuinn in Ediburgh www.beltane.org spectacular performance with some fire now we've got some insurance but at home inwiltshire it was a fancy dress party for all with apple bobbing and toffe apples and ghost stories, not that pagan but holiday,

cheerio,

I

soup!

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
When I was ickle, a friend and I used to go to all the pubs on Halloween trick or treating because we knew all the tight arsed people who didn't want to stay at home and give choccy to kids would be there and they'd all be forced to hand over some money so that they didn't look tight!

Good advice for little brothers and sisters, and you can grab a quick pint in whilst chapperoning them around!

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
I work as security at the worlds largest haunted house every year,I am usally drinkin and hangin out so I guess thats my celebration.

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Actually, Samhain would be the same date globally. I had thought so but I double checked.
The solstices and equinoxes are flipped, of course, because they are seasonal. Samhain is not seasonally based however. It is long time celebrated as a new year and a night of the thin veil between worlds.
I can see how it is celebrated as a harvest festival in some places and a planting festival in others but it is still the night of the dead, no matter when. At least in witchcraft.

I am enjoying reading the differences and similarities, or just what each of us do in our own way. It is nice. Thank you all!

Pele

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
My fave for Samhain is to do one half of my face in nice makeup (which i don't ususally wear), and the other half a skull face, because this is the time for us to remember our beloved dead and to acknowledge that Death is with us all the time, and we never know when She will come for us. Since i am not afraid of Death, i don't think of this as being creepy or negative, though i know some others do. I'll dig up my bit about that from a coupla years ago and post it for you...

Here in Denver, kids don't get in much trick-or-treating. Last year, me and a pal took our godsdaughters out t-or-t'ing and by 9pm, it was totally over. It was chilly but not all that cold, so it wasn't the weather. People mostly seem to take their kids to malls to t-or-t, which City Of Denver (Land of the Corporate Blowjob) heartily encourages. I am appalled and disgusted by this. The rationale offered up for this is that it's not safe, but if nobody's out t-or-t'ing, of course it's not safe. If parents aren't out with the little nippers, it leaves the streets to the teen hooligans and gollege drunkards, now doesn't it? I know, i know, it's not like it was when i was a kid, but i think kids today are getting ripped off. Any kid who has to live in the 'burbs should get the perk of being able to go from dusk to at least 10pm (8 or 9 for the teenies), and get so damn much candy that they have to go home and dump their bags a time or three...

On the other hand, Denver has a major Hispanic population and has for decades, so El Dia De Los Muertas is big here, both the remembering our beloved dead part and the partying down with our pal Death part. This Sat it will be like pulling teeth to find any red roses or orange marigolds in the flower shops and all the marketas and panaderias have heaps of sugar skulls, sugar skeletons and so on. Some years I go to the Dia party at an art gallery in a traditional Hispanic neighborhood, where they have Ofrendas and a mariachi band and dancing later on, and a usually politically themed pinata stuffed with candy, confetti and little shotsized bottles of fruitybooze . Two years ago, i was in the half skullface described above, and when i walked the three blocks to 7/11, a couple of guys thought they were going to come hassle me. When they came around in front of me and saw the skull face, they paused and i just said "It's good night to be friendly with Death, hey?" They fell over themselves agreeing and wishing me a good night.
I like Samhain for the spiritual aspects of relating to the dead and to Death, and i like Halloween for the party down with Death aspect...

[ 29 October 2002, 19:16: Message edited by: Jade Lynx ]

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
And yes, thank you for noticing, i am aware that i mixed the gender specifiers in use of the Spanish name for The Day of the Dead. I do it deliberately, as some of my beloved dead happen to women...

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
For about seven years, up until two years ago, I dressed up as one of two things. A Gypsy, or as Anne Bolyn before she got her head bagged. Then two years ago the head of our local Lions Club approached the head of our group, and asked if we wanted to help with their haunted hayride. We said yes. Last year we did some glowstick poi, and this year the fire marshall said we could do them lit, so I'm really looking forward to that.

Mostly the kids in live oak dress up and go trick or treating, while the parents stay at home, and the teenagers go out and party till they puke from so much alchohol, or pass out and end up in the emergency room because they drank until they should have puked but couldn't because they were smoking to much Wacky Tabacky.

[ 29 October 2002, 20:53: Message edited by: Ashia BlackHawk ]

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Ashia, is there a significance to the gypsy or Anne Bolyn for you?
Jade, I like your commentary, thank you.
I have done the half painted face as well in the past. THe living with the dead, the bride with the groom, it was fun.

Before someone stole my make-up kit I had latex and such in it, and was able to come up with some really great masks/facial plants. It was fun. Those poor,poor children. When I got too old to t-or-t, I used to dress my friends and I up, and the house, and scare the bejeezus out of the other kids. It was fun but at times I felt bad. I never knew little kids could run so fast!

What do all the rest of you like to be for Halloween? My son always seemed to want to be something dead. This year he is a ninja though, so we are breaking the pattern.

Pele

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
<<<<<<<>>>>>

Not Really. I had the garb for both, and didn't want to go and make new costumes or buy them. I had this gorgeous Tudor gown that I wore as Anne, and I had some of my bar wench clothing from the SCA that I wore with a ton of jewelry and such as the gypsy. As far as why I claimed to be Anne. I've always loved the song by Stanley Holloway, and so it fit me.

"With her head, tucked, underneath her arm
She walks the bloody Tower
With her head, tucked, underneath her arm
At the midnight Hour"

That song got the cops called on us at our first event we threw. We were singing it at the top of our lungs, with the bonfire going, lots of people with mugs and Nezzerin standing in the bonfire, so the neibhors thought that we were a bunch of teenagers havinga drinking party'
And

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Jadie, not afraid of death, wonderful, i join you.

I love my dead very much.

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Halloween doesn't really exist here in France, yet...

So, this year is the first annual "Dress up in costume and spin fire down by the Seine" night.

Maybe the pics will come out..

Raphael

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
hey, i hope they do! want to see you with fire, Raph!

out here in SoCal, for adults, we got the biggest street party for Halloween in the US, in West Hollywood, a city which calls itself on its banners "the creative city," with a hugely predominantly gay population & stores. . . in fact, almost entire. so we cordon off a long ass walking stretch of Santa Monica Boulevard, and it's all free, the big outdoor bash of the year, and tomorrow night Pink and Paulina Rubio are performing, as will be a good number of the 50 members of mutaytor, a fire-drum-band troupe out here, wanderin the crowd, likely . . . we put details in our SoCal thread if ya wanna check out more, including pix of mutaytor

so that's the real deal round here for pyros!

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

Wes Deanmember
2 posts

Posted:
Come spin at this event in Kentucky

https://www.facebook.com/events/211260182385766/