Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I was looking at the design for my new tattoo, a phoenix on my right arm, and thought it'd be cool to do a trail up my arm and then have the phoenix burn to reveal the tatt so that it looks like I've burned it into my arm.

Does anyone know if there is some way of making a gel that can be used like body paint to create this effect or will I have to just use normal fuel to do it?

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
are you saying you want to apply colored napalm to your arm and then light it on fire so as to get a tatooed phoenix to look like appears in the flames???

I would advise against useing a fuel gel on flesh unless it is during war time and only then on really nasty enemies.

gelled fuels are meant to stick to things (like flesh) and burn them really really well. I've never heard of a thick fuel that burns quickly enough to have it flash and burn away quickly. generally the thicker a combustable is, the longer it burns.

If all you are talking about is doing flame tracing, then stick with standard flame tracing fuels.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Flame tracing is what i was think of but couldn't remember the name. I thought I might as well ask.

Thanks. I'll remember the napalm trick (i got taught how to make that in Higher Chemisty) for when the Americans invade the UK. wink

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Yeah they will target greater manchester for its rich chip fat oil reserves, and highly skilled female technicions...

"You want salt an Vinigar wi'that love?"

LEt me get this straight, you want to pour stuff on your arm...and set it on fire?

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
How do you think fire torture and S&M fire play work? They are basically the burning of fuel that is on the skin. With fire torture you run a fire eating wand over whatever part of the body you want and it leaves a small amount of fuel on the skin which burns for a few seconds after the wand has been removed. Its only the fuel that should burn and not the skin.

Written by: Pele article

She burns lamp oil for most of her show. But she uses white gas (Coleman fuel) to do trailings. That's when she slides the torch across her skin and the flame is left behind on her arm for a moment. She can do that because it's the fuel burning, not her skin. And it's burned off before her skin burns.

What I was thinking about was applying the fuel before doing a trail and then using the trail to create the effect of the tattoo being burned into my arm. I was thinking it'd be a nice way to open or end a performance. I was looking for some way to put colouring into the fuel so that it would mask the appearance of the tattoo until the fuel had burnt off and thought that the only way to do it would be to make some form of gel that has the fuel in it but also has some other component that will boil off taking whatever makeup I was using with it. I remember reading somewhere (probably in the same article that I've quoted) that the skin has a few seconds leeway so was hoping to try and play with that. I freely admit that it is a daft idea but then where would the world be if it wasn't for daft ideas?

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
Written by: One Forgotten Soul

How do you think fire torture and S&M fire play work?

not really a high priority on my 2am can't sleep thinkythinky list...

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Now I did know the fuel gel that you would need for this type of contact fire act, as I was looking into using the material for similar body fire arts around a year ago, generally used in professional stuntwork etc, but it turned out to be very expensive to obtain, opted for various napha based products, anyway this isn't helping much.

You will need to make contact with Lord Zaphod resident on Soton fire Spinners, since he provided me with the product details / name.

mark

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Thanks marco. Will do that.

(Sole)Sparkfixerupera of strangness maximus
147 posts

Posted:
test

yay up to 5 beat weave only 4 more to get to 9 :P

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
OFS, I recomend you PM pele about the trailing, and be very careful about whos advice you follow when considering high risk activities.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

flamazinejourneyman
91 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a cool thing you're trying to acheive but the timing is going to be critical. It will look much less cool if you scream and grab your arm and run off to find a tap!

Make sure you have plenty of practice runs before you actually go for it in front of a crowd.

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!