Page:
IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Who believes in it?

I dont, under any circumstances

When someone is punished for theire crimes its called justice, but how can you ever justify a murder? The people who decide weather capital punishment (is that what its called) is used in a country (or state) are putting prices on life, and you cant do that.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
How can it cost more to keep prisoners alive? I don't believe that for a second...once you kill them they don't eat anymore....

If you keep them in prison for life (which is generally not life btw) they get clothed, fed, they get internet connection etc etc all at the cost of the general tax payer.

You give them a lethal injection they don't need all that stuff anymore.

(Not saying that I agree with killing them just stating that I think maybe those figures are incorrect)...

Show me the figures telling us how much it is to kill a prisoner and how much it is to keep them in prison for 20 odd years and then I will believe....

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
The most comprehensive study conducted in this country found that the death penalty costs North Carolina $2.16 million per execution over the costs of a non-death penalty system imposing a maximum sentence of imprisonment for life.5 As I mentioned earlier, these findings are sensitive to the number of executions the state carries out. However, the authors noted that even if the death penalty was 100% efficient, i.e., if every death sentence resulted in an execution, the extra costs to the taxpayers would still be $216,000 per execution.

Taken from here.

Now justify it as cost effective... $2.16 milloin dollars more. Imagine how many schools or hospitals could be built with the money used to kill people.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
"The day after the Timothy McVeigh jury recommended a death sentence, CNN broadcasted a debate on the death penalty on "Larry King Live". The opponents expressed the usual objections, most dubious of which is that imposing the death penalty costs more than a sentence of life without parole. If true at all (and the cost figures upon which those claims rely are suspect), that argument is disingenuous. Experience in Florida has clearly demonstrated the high cost of executions results directly from opposition to the death penalty. "

Taken from this site:

https://www.fed-soc.org/Publications/practicegroupnewsletters/criminallaw/cl010303.htm

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
D. THE COST OF LIFE WITHOUT PAROLE VS THE DEATH PENALTY

Many opponents present, as fact, that the cost of the death penalty is so expensive (at least $2 million per case?), that we must choose life without parole ("LWOP") at a cost of $1 million for 50 years. Predictably, these pronouncements may be entirely false. JFA estimates that LWOP cases will cost $1.2 million - $3.6 million more than equivalent death penalty cases.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cost of Life Without Parole: Cases
Equivalent To Death Penalty Cases

1. $34,200/year (1) for 50 years (2), at
a 2% (3) annual cost increase, plus
$75,000 (4) for trial & appeals = $3.01 million
2. Same, except 3% (3) = $4.04 million
3. Same, except 4% (3) = $5.53 million

Cost of Death Penalty Cases
$60,000/year (1) for 6 years (5), at
a 2% (3) annual cost increase, plus
$1.5 million (4) for trial & appeals = $1.88 million
Same, except 3% (3) = $1.89 million
Same, except 4% (3) = $1.91 million

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no question that the up front costs of the death penalty are significantly higher than for equivalent LWOP cases. There also appears to be no question that, over time, equivalent LWOP cases are much more expensive - from $1.2 to $3.6 million - than death penalty cases. Opponents ludicrously claim that the death penalty costs, over time, 3-10 times more than LWOP.

Taken from: https://www.prodeathpenalty.com/DP.html#D.Cost

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Here's the big question:

Show me evidence that countries that have the death penalty have less crime than countries that don't.

There isn't any.

Thus, the death penalty is of no benefit.

Sorry, I think of this like I think about treatment options for a patient. You don't think it in terms of what you think ought to work, you go by the evidence.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

Here's the big question:

Show me evidence that countries that have the death penalty have less crime than countries that don't.

There isn't any.

Thus, the death penalty is of no benefit.

Nazi Germany had one of the lowest "crime" rates in European history.

Scientific experimentation... sounds good to me... biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

PsychoTronicstranger
80 posts

Posted:
BENJAMEN man, if you turn them into guinea pigs they will not have to eat???? They will not need a place to live???? furthermore the prisoners work you know! they fix things they sell. rapists serial killers and the guys that you mentioned they should go to an asylum- prison where they can have a medication. Man I would give my money to prisons through the taxes.I give money to politicians that they eat from everywhere.I give money to handicaps I give money to the state.... that has prisons.
Lets be unhumans and kill all the bastards that commit a crime and feed them to the starving children in Africa.10000 children die in a day from starvation.Believe me they could kill to have a bottle of milk.Some criminals are criminals for a reason! If we determine the reasons we can fight the evil from the start...

Sethis GERMANY NAZI WAS THE CRIME ITSELF.

who will kill the criminal in death penalty???? So we will have a new murderer!Who will kill this one????fighting the crime with crime??????? APARADEKTO

hugs

"For once there was an unknown land, full of strange flowers and subtle perfumes,
a land of which it is joy of all joys to dream, a land where all things are perfect and poisonous."
"Put out the torches! Hide the moon! Hide the stars!"

Page: