thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Just wondering, around what sort of level do people start playing with fire (poi)?
Is it mostly a matter of confidence? or when people gain a certain number of tricks they think they can do comfortably e.g. NOT hit themselves in the crotch with a potential flaming wick.

Prolly a mixture of all of the above, but at what point do you say to yourselves: 'I'm ready for fire'

Cheers.
Obi

It's better to burn out than to fade away

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I've been spinning regularly for two months now. Been told I'm a fast learner but I dont feel ready for fire yet.

Hint:- If you're still hitting yourself - dont spin fire!!!

Hopefully I will have a try on Nov 5th. Maybe....

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
my first timer was on fire

but im an idiot so dont try it unless your really comfortable doing the tricks

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I started spinning fire after about three weeks of practice. Mind you I was practicing for about 4 hours a day (unemployed student with far too much free time). Its not really about the tricks you can do as I fire spun and only really did 2bt and 3bt weaves, butterflys and a few wraps. When you feel comfortable with what you can do then fire spinning will just happen. Don't pressure yourself or let anyone push you to do it. just remember the Grolsch advert "We only let you drink it when its ready." Only spin when -you- think you're ready.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
My judgement's the worst in the world, hehe. I'd like to try fire spinning and I'm kinda like you at the moment, being an unemployed uni student... better save up them pennies and by the time i graduate, i think i'll be ready for fire poi...

*imagines graduation party being trashed by an idiot flailing two flaming balls on chains*

ubbidea Damn...it's gotta be done now biggrin

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
When I first spun with fire I was really pissed off and was thinking "[censored] it, if I get hurt I really don't care". I think what ever I was thinking and feeling at the time went out of the window as sooon as I lit up.

One friend told me that he'd only spin with fire when he could 2 and 3bt weave, butterfly (alternate, bth and reverse), hi and low wave, buzzsaw, wrap a few body parts and TTN. At least I think it was the list he gave me... there may have been a few more things on it.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pantaloon a la Tinkle

I've been spinning regularly for two months now. Been told I'm a fast learner but I dont feel ready for fire yet.

Hint:- If you're still hitting yourself - dont spin fire!!!

Hopefully I will have a try on Nov 5th. Maybe....

oooh thats so good! I used to think I wont try fire for a looong time (momma didnt raise no fool) but come to think of it, looseing my fire virginity on november the 5th would rock! ubbrollsmile biggrin lol watch out folks if you value your saftey (and smooth pink skin) do not put infront of some fire poi on november the 5th lol

Hmmmm well I cant answer your question, every starts fire at different times it all depends on you. you will know when your ready, so try it then, but erm stay with simple tricks you know at first dont get over ambitiouse :P

I might not spin fire for years who knows, a good set of glow poi can be just as good at night, better maybie you cant get all the interesting colours with fire that you can get with a good set of glow poi

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Theres no set time when your ready, I had a go n the first night I picked up poi. Could only do a butterfly, but hey. I hardly ever do fire now as it limits what you can do.

It doesn't matter what or how many tricks you can do, but how well you can do them. Also make sure get someone more experienced to help you when you first light up as they can tell you about spinning off etc.

You'll know when your ready!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
This is totally dependant on the spinner, personally if you think you are ready for fire....your not, wait another week of pracising then try it. Wait until you are 100% sure of the moves uc an do without hitting yourself often, the occassional bump is ok

Do you own firepoi? If so practice with them during the day time unlit, this will let u get used ot the weight, then when ur finally ready for your first burn, do it during the day and have soemone watching you, read this Am i ready to spin fire? and certainly this Fire Saftey and you knwow aht just look at this whole damn page Click me

Good luck with your first burn, never forget it smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

thelostSILVER Member
355 posts

Posted:
Cool, thanks for the advice. I think i might take your advice and buy a set just to do dry runs for now, to get used to them... oh well, if my first burn goes pete tong, at least i'll provide the comic entertainment for the night tongue

*imagines*
1: hey, u remember that guy who was burning for the first time and hit himself in the crotch?
2: yeah, what an idiot! he redefined the phrase: 'goodness gracious, great balls of fire!'

redface

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Even the best of us make mistakes too. I'm not that good but I know that if I hit myself and someone laughs I can hand them a set of practice poi and tell them to try it without hitting themselves, then laugh as they clobber themselves a hundred times over. Or I don't laugh and try and explain how to do the thing I stuffed up on and see if they can do it.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
@Brit_Joe: With the right chemicals, you can get any colour you want...

Just isn't brilliantly safe tongue

Most people i know/know of agree that it is a matter of confidence. Make sure that you've got a trusty safety there, and remember to have fun.

I'd recommend just spinning in circles at your sides for a little while, just to get used to the noise and light, especially if your first burn is at night.

Best of luck biggrin

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

mykrmeburning from inside
165 posts

Posted:
when I first saw poi, it was that fire set...so after two minutes of succesful learning good circles at my sides, 2b wave, crossing them infront of me and butterfly, they just lighted the fire and off you go...(which was how I felt in love with fire poi)
not good example though biggrin

that's YOUR opinion...

from fire we´re born, to fire we return...

the happy manmember
37 posts

Posted:
i still think that spinning fire really develops confidence in spinning (im not saying that you should spin to get confidence) but from my experiences ive become more awa4re of what my poi are doing since spinning fire, its very easy to take spinning for granted when practicing and you cant do that with fire.

dont know if i made sense or not lol smile

"were all in uniforms here and dont you forget it" Mr Zappa

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
the happy man: there is a certain awareness that you have to have when spinning with fire that you don't get with practice poi. I think fire forces the spinner to improve their technique so that they avoid nasty burns. Its made my spinning a lot cleaner.